E63 advice pls

Workaverse

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E63
so seriously contemplating dipping my toe into buying an e63 estate. How horrific are ownership costs? Was thinking of buying a 2-3 year old lowish mileage version so depreciation curve should be diminishing. Any advice welcome. Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome
I have the saloon but that doesn’t make much difference!
Petrol: I’m averaging 21-22 mpg of super unleaded. It’s my ‘daily’ so my work commute is 12 miles each way and a mix of urban and motorway
Brakes: this is a cost you must factor in- got my 2 year old 63 in March 17 and it had done 21k miles on the original discs and pads , I added another 4K before changing the pads which I bought from MB Grangemouth c£450 for the 4 and self fitted
Servicing : I went the service plan route , paying £41 a month so no surprises
Warranty: if you buy franchised you’ll get a year extended I believe , I bought non franchise and warranty extended c£1k for tier 1
Tyres: I bought 4 x winter tyres c£600 which is a necessary investment unless you intend not driving it through the cold weather winter months. Summer P Zeros are back on now but given I managed to put it sideways a couple of times in the past few days they may be due a change (I’m on 31k now and not sure if these are original)
Reliability : in the just over a year of ownership 0 issues
Extras: autowatch Ghost fitted c£350, boot lip spoiler c£200, ceramic paint protection c£500 in total ( long story), various other bits c£200. All enhancements so not running costs, as will be the stage 1 remap next week
Insurance: I’ve 10 years no claim so c£585 pa which includes the power increase of c18%
I did work out recently my running costs including expected depreciation, servicing, warranty , fuel, insurance, tyres, brakes etc etc would mean c88p per mile...
Hope that helps a bit- fantastic car and worth every penny!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi John
If the pads are £450, how much are the discs?

And do you have that extremely expensive brake upgrade .. forget the name Ceramic?
Or are yours normal ‘63 brakes?

Peter

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi John
If the pads are £450, how much are the discs?

And do you have that extremely expensive brake upgrade .. forget the name Ceramic?
Or are yours normal ‘63 brakes?

Peter
Hi Peter - mine are the normal non ceramic 63 brakes, I don’t track nor drive like a loon so they’re enough for me!
4 discs will be c£1100 and I’m probably looking at those with my next pads in 8-10k, or alternatively pads and a disc skim
Ceramics are 2-4 times that

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Hi Peter - mine are the normal non ceramic 63 brakes, I don’t track nor drive like a loon so they’re enough for me!
4 discs will be c£1100 and I’m probably looking at those with my next pads in 8-10k, or alternatively pads and a disc skim
Ceramics are 2-4 times that
Thanks John
Useful to know, as I am looking for the ultimate peachy CL63 .. had hoped to be July, but now will be later ... planning on new house got complicated.

I heard a rumour the Ceramic ones required a Mortgage!
My only experience of AMG was a 5 week loaner of an SL with 1,100 miles on the clock.
Boot it through the tunnel leaving Maidenhead and one was hooked!
That had “std.” AMG brakes and IMO even if I won the Loto I really could not see the need for better.

At 4x the price circa £4.5K to change discs and pads this moves into Buggati Territory for me.
I would distinctly avoid one with those, or drop the price by £3,000.
Peter

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
if you find one with Ceramics already on Peter and they’re good then if you’re on low annual miles they will last longer...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
88p a mile is great!!

S65 for comparison roughly £1.05p pm - not including insurance/tax

The C63 is at 41p pm excluding insurance/tax

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
88p a mile is great!!

S65 for comparison roughly £1.05p pm - not including insurance/tax

The C63 is at 41p pm excluding insurance/tax
Yip I’m reasonably happy with that, the XC90 is 45p all included so they counter a bit ...

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
if you find one with Ceramics already on Peter and they’re good then if you’re on low annual miles they will last longer...

Thats a good point John.
Ideally find one at a MB dealer and get my 2 year AMG warranty, and then say change the front discs and pads and we have a deal!
Cheeky but if you dont ask ;)

All delayed ... thanks to planning logic!
We need more houses right!
Yes you can change the barn roof material, but if you strengthen the roof ( er what you cant see :-0 ) then thats classed as a rebuild! And we dont allow rebuilds here. :(:(

But if you cant strengthen the roof, then it cant carry the load of 6 large solar panels, er energy self sufficient and more :):). .... hmmm thats good for the Environment, No?

No logic whatsoever! ... too busy doing important stuff like taxing ultra efficient Diesel Cars!
But we wont touch the filthy polluting old buses .... hmm that would cost US money!

Ahh well who cares the sun is shinning :):):)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last seen Friday @11pm... Oh well!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Speaking of discs, when the ones on the S class wore out, MB wanted £780 per disc for the front. I had two piece discs made :

£880 for two, and 50% lighter than the original, with no cross drilling to form cracks!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Awesome Alex, I remember this from another thread but don’t recall seeing the finished product. Great job

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All fitted!

With the trademark rusty wheel bolt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom