E63 Insurance Go Compare v Money Supermarket

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I find it utterly frustrating that we have to play this game annually. Not only comparing insurance companies, which is somewhat a given...but also comparing the comparison sites!

I have been with LV for a couple of years now, they seem to be one of a few who do not send overly inflated renewals in the hope of you not checking, I quite like that...
Funnily enough LV was exactly the opposite with me. Premiums were grossly inflated every year for a car that was worth less than £500. I gave up with them after a couple of years although that didn't stop them writing to me with a quote every year. The last one was for nearly £600, (I was paying £170 at the time) on a risk that hadn't changed at all. They gave up on me eventually.

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I used to think that a vehicles market value was significant when it comes to insurance, but actually it plays a relatively small part in calculating the premium.
:)

I'm not so sure Ron.
Take Daveenty in case with his 2019 S63 Coupe.
It's a car worth over £100k and his premium is reflected in the cost to replace it if stolen or written off in an accident as he alludes to in Post#19

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
What I have found in my case is that a quote from a new company almost always comes in cheaper than the renewal price from my current insurer.

I was always changing every year when insuring the E55 and it seems the same is happening on the E63.
Gone are the days of customer loyalty when you turned up at your broker every year and they searched and got you a deal you were happy with. Now the boot is on the other foot and the customer shows little or no loyalty to the insurance company.
The comparison websites have been a godsend in cutting out the middle man and doing it yourself.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I'm not so sure Ron.
Take Daveenty in case with his 2019 S63 Coupe.
It's a car worth over £100k and his premium is reflected in the cost to replace it if stolen or written off in an accident as he alludes to in Post#19
Yes there is probably a limit to that once you get into silly money. :D
For mainstream cars with values within the reach of the average person the outright value plays a small part in calculating an insurance premium.
You can test this by inputting different values for your car on comparison sites.
It is also rare for insurance to decrease as a car gets older and value decreases. Some people will experience a decrease but other factors may be influencing this.
If you concentrate purely on value, back in 2015 I bought a brand new 27k car and my insurance cost £220.
Ok that proves nothing but you currently have a £25k car and your insurance costs £360.

It can be virtually impossible to try and rationalise car insurance o_O

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Thread revival a year later.........................

Yes, it's renewal time and I just received an email from Tesco advising they will continue to insure me for a renewal price of £394 this year, up from £360 ish last year. Had I not been someone who checks the market every year I may well have accepted this price and thought no more of it.

But I do check. And this year has been an eye opener. The usual comparison website suspects came in with Tesco being the cheapest but all with a different price. Confused being the best at....wait for it. £292 with remap declared and a £20 voucher to spend in Halfords.
I tried Tesco directly and they wanted £320.
I find it very strange that a comparison site can sell me insurance cheaper than the company issuing it.

As you can guess, the renewal is not being accepted and has been cancelled from the date it expires and I now have the exact same policy with the same company for £102 less.
Anyone who just accepts their renewal price is either foolish, lazy or has money to waste.

1629575983846.png
ANNUAL PREMIUM
£292.88

MONTHLY PREMIUM
✓ 1 x £48.83
✓ 11 x £24.96
✓ Total £323.39

Price cut for Confused.com customers.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thread revival a year later.........................

Yes, it's renewal time and I just received an email from Tesco advising they will continue to insure me for a renewal price of £394 this year, up from £360 ish last year. Had I not been someone who checks the market every year I may well have accepted this price and thought no more of it.

But I do check. And this year has been an eye opener. The usual comparison website suspects came in with Tesco being the cheapest but all with a different price. Confused being the best at....wait for it. £292 with remap declared and a £20 voucher to spend in Halfords.
I tried Tesco directly and they wanted £320.
I find it very strange that a comparison site can sell me insurance cheaper than the company issuing it.

As you can guess, the renewal is not being accepted and has been cancelled from the date it expires and I now have the exact same policy with the same company for £102 less.
Anyone who just accepts their renewal price is either foolish, lazy or has money to waste.

View attachment 70226
ANNUAL PREMIUM
£292.88

MONTHLY PREMIUM
✓ 1 x £48.83
✓ 11 x £24.96
✓ Total £323.39

Price cut for Confused.com customers.
I did exactly the same, they then queried the annual mileage and wanted to charge me an extra £19.87 plus £30 change fee.
This was because the comparison site chose 14,434 miles rather than 15,000… I had responded that the mileage in the quote was correct at approximately 15,000. They thought about it for awhile then decided they didn’t need to charge me the additional £49.87…

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
The £20 Halfords voucher is a nightmare to spend! I've still got 3 x £20 left and a spreadsheet running of potential freebie purchases..... so much choice or combination possibilties..... The missus will end up knicking them and buying cloths for the house if I'm not careful......

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Ahhh, the good old car insurance lottery! £60 uplift to renew this year, despite various articles about premiums reducing as people obviously didn't anywhere last year so costs were less. Got better renewal quotes elsewhere.

Cancel policy on outgoing UnMerc and asked them for a quote for the replacement UnMerc, £70 more expensive than those obtained from Meerkats whilst I was researching replacements.

Run fresh quotes for incoming UnMerc... guess who came in second best premium (only second by £0.02) but with better all-round package? Yup, same insurer, and came in cheaper than their quote for the outgoing vehicle!!!

I'm sure there is no finger-in-the-wind involved in their pricing structures whatsoever. No sirreee Bob! :rolleyes:

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Wish l could get my insurance lower for my newly acquired CLK220. Hastings invited renewal at around £560. I have full ncb, no convictions but I'll be 70 soon and l think that's what's pushing the premium up. I called A plan who offered £520 odd and who claimed it was about the "right" price. So l then invited Hastings to better their renewal price to retain the business and they came up with a brand new (better) Premier policy at around £437 which I've gone with. I'm still a bit miffed at that price since last year l paid around £320 for my previous (faster) 202 C280 and l don't think the CLK is in a higher insurance group despite the guy from Aplan inferring that it's a coupe and therefore more expensive to insure. Again l think it's my age more than anything else.
That sounds an awful lot for insurance for you, considering your age, type of car and prob very good driving history. Ive paid £200 this year with Hastings after i called them and haggled a deal from them, im 59 and have a 2002 SClass 500 so cannot believe you are having to pay more than i do?? Crazy prices some of these insurance companies come up with?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Well it's that time of year again for me and l was invited by Saga (indicative premium £320 based on my previous C280) to call for a quote. I did and with the CLK220 they quoted well over £600(around £650 from memory) and for that they'd commit to the same price for 3 years. I bet they will too! WTF? I was dumbfounded. Do they not want the business or what? Hastings this year is around £465. How can l get a reasonable premium?????

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The £20 Halfords voucher is a nightmare to spend! I've still got 3 x £20 left and a spreadsheet running of potential freebie purchases..... so much choice or combination possibilties..... The missus will end up knicking them and buying cloths for the house if I'm not careful......
You better check if the vouchers are still there.

Last edited:
OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
. How can l get a reasonable premium?????

Move.
Honestly, its a postcode lottery. If you happen to be lucky and live in a low car crime postcode your chance of getting cheap insurance increases.
I'm roughly the same age as you with a 666bhp biturbo insured for under £300.
Sometimes life is not fair.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Wish l could get my insurance lower for my newly acquired CLK220. Hastings invited renewal at around £560. I have full ncb, no convictions but I'll be 70 soon and l think that's what's pushing the premium up. I called A plan who offered £520 odd and who claimed it was about the "right" price. So l then invited Hastings to better their renewal price to retain the business and they came up with a brand new (better) Premier policy at around £437 which I've gone with. I'm still a bit miffed at that price since last year l paid around £320 for my previous (faster) 202 C280 and l don't think the CLK is in a higher insurance group despite the guy from Aplan inferring that it's a coupe and therefore more expensive to insure. Again l think it's my age more than anything else.

This sounds like Location, Location, Location. I am a bit older than you, I live in Suffolk and my premium is around £280 for my 2017 C200 AMG Line Premium. Similar circumstances, full NCB and no convictions :rolleyes::)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Thats expensive must be where you live? Over in Staffs I pay £203 for a E350CDI fully comp with 1,000 business miles.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
This sounds like Location, Location, Location. I am a bit older than you, I live in Suffolk and my premium is around £280 for my 2017 C200 AMG Line Premium. Similar circumstances, full NCB and no convictions :rolleyes::)

I forgot to mention that my premium also included a named additional driver :)

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I've heard of this before. What's the rationale.

I haven't the foggiesto_O
Had to add the wife as a named driver on my E55 and immediately the premium went down.
The whole insurance industry is a mystery to me. How some of the decisions are made astound me.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I haven't the foggiesto_O
Had to add the wife as a named driver on my E55 and immediately the premium went down.
The whole insurance industry is a mystery to me. How some of the decisions are made astound me.
Im certain the insurance companies operate from the Ministry of silly decesions?? Ha!

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom