E63 Steering wheel upgrade to W205 style, done !

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
:D

All I can say folks, is NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER again, will I bother doing this sort of stuff.

This was mainly to replace the W212 alcantara style wheel , that I have found utterly horrid to hold in my hands... it went all bobbly ( from the previous owner... )...

Anyway, after 2 days researching, looking at the wiring diagrams, and lots of messing about I went from this >>>>>

OLD wheel :rolleyes:

dR8hi5J.jpg

to this :cool:

6oFwNsX.jpg

Points to note ( and ignore others who say you NEED a new steering column module at GREAT expense ! )

1) All the buttons work, no errors
2) The back-lighting works on the buttons
3) I kept my original steering column module
4) The horn works ( handy to pass an MOT ! )
5) Both paddle shifts work fine :cool:
6) No CODING is required.
7) YOU MUST keep the original PCB from the old steering wheel & adapt it to fit into the NEW contact plate for the new wheel

Don't bother buying spare contact plates, I did, and it was still the wrong size lol ( hey ho £40 wasted ).

I'll try to post some pics ( and thankfully a kind soul on the MB america site helped me work out how to do it...

You can of course take the easy route, buy a new steering column module, and get the right pre Facelift buttons etc.. when I worked it all out, it came out to about £1200 !

My conversion using simple tools, some careful research & my own time, total cost, well, the cost of the wheel inc' new airbag + P&P ~ £360.

regards,

:cool:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Admirable tenacity :cool:.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Very nice!

And all done in just 90 minutes ;)

LucasMartinUK

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI C207 Coupe 2011
Hi Taz,

Could you give me some instructions of how to adapt old PCB into the new steering wheel (W205)?

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Would love to change mine , I find it to big.
But I think it’s a bit to much for me to tackle.:(

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Great write up and sharing of information. It looks much better than the old one!

OP
_Taz_

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
I'm still about...the actual job isn't too bad, just people never share info...

Actually took a few hours...
If I was to do again, prob 3 hours all in...

All mb OEM parts of course.

Just a bit of loom extending for the paddles...

Cheers

Buck01

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class coupe
:D

All I can say folks, is NEVER EVER, NEVER EVER again, will I bother doing this sort of stuff.

This was mainly to replace the W212 alcantara style wheel , that I have found utterly horrid to hold in my hands... it went all bobbly ( from the previous owner... )...

Anyway, after 2 days researching, looking at the wiring diagrams, and lots of messing about I went from this >>>>>

OLD wheel :rolleyes:

dR8hi5J.jpg

to this :cool:

6oFwNsX.jpg

Points to note ( and ignore others who say you NEED a new steering column module at GREAT expense ! )

1) All the buttons work, no errors
2) The back-lighting works on the buttons
3) I kept my original steering column module
4) The horn works ( handy to pass an MOT ! )
5) Both paddle shifts work fine :cool:
6) No CODING is required.
7) YOU MUST keep the original PCB from the old steering wheel & adapt it to fit into the NEW contact plate for the new wheel

Don't bother buying spare contact plates, I did, and it was still the wrong size lol ( hey ho £40 wasted ).

I'll try to post some pics ( and thankfully a kind soul on the MB america site helped me work out how to do it...

You can of course take the easy route, buy a new steering column module, and get the right pre Facelift buttons etc.. when I worked it all out, it came out to about £1200 !

My conversion using simple tools, some careful research & my own time, total cost, well, the cost of the wheel inc' new airbag + P&P ~ £360.

regards,

:cool:
May I ask how you adapted the old pcb to fit?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom