Easily adding Speed Cameras to COMAND

Mossie55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC
Hi there

Just taken delivery of my first Merc ever. It's an all singing all dancing 2017 spec GLC with Command on Line.
Very impressed with the nav system and it's taken me sometime sitting in the car just to get "au fait " with all the menus.

The only thing missing is speed cameras. Just reading the 3 pages of this post, has anybody added speed cameras recently to the newest Command on Line and if so is the procedure the same as the post below.
Cheers

Or use this alternative, as suggested.

Instructions here:

POCKET GPS WORLD SPEED CAMERAS FOR MERCEDES COMAND NTG4.5
What do you need?
a. A PC or laptop running either:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 or
Windows Vista or
Windows 7
All of them should have the required windows applications loaded to run vbs files.
b. An SD card (suggest 8 Mb Grade 10).

Procedure:
1. On the SD card, create a folder called “PersonalPOI” .
2. Log on to Pocket GPS World.
3. Go to speed camera download.
4. Select "Mercedes Comand".
5. Check “Include pMobile Files”.
6. Select “UK-single file with all cameras”.
7. Download the compressed file to the SD Card PersonalPOI folder.
8. Unpack the files.
[9-17 removed - related to vbs files]
18. Remove the SD card from the PC or Laptop.
19. Insert the SD card into the slot in the Mercedes NTG4.5 console.
20. Switch on the car.
21. Press the NAVI function button.
22. Select Navi in the main function bar. Press the Comand Controller to confirm.
23. Select PersonalPOIs and press the Comand Controller to confirm.
24. A notice “Importing Data etc” will appear. Press the Command Controller. Repeat Para 23 & 24 until you can select “Display PersonalPOIs”. This can take 3 or 4 minutes.
25. You should see 3 new Categories:
a. Pocket GPS UK FIXED Cameras.
b. Pocket GPS UK MOBILE Cameras.
c. Pocket GPS UK pMOBILE Cameras.
26. Select each in turn and press the Comand Controller to switch on the icon display for each one.
27. Call up the PersonalPOI menu again.
28. Select “Visual warning for PersonalPOIs” and press the Comand Controller to confirm.
29. The menu displays the available categories.
30. Select each category in turn and press the Comand controller to confirm each one.
31. MB UK has stated that there is no audible warning option on UK versions of NTG4.5
32. Check that the icons for the cameras appear on the map (you have to zoom the map to see them):
a. Fixed camera icon is a camera.
b. The pMobile & Mobile camera icon is a camera on a tripod.
33. The camera databases remain loaded as long as the SD card is left in the console. If you remove the SD card for any reason you will have to go through the in-car procedure again.
34. That’s it - enjoy.

Mossie55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC
Actually just got it working with the PocketGPS data base.

Advanced, aural and visual warnings working a treat. Have to keep the SD card in the slot though. :D:D

windermereamg

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG SLC43/2017/3.0
Having a bit of problem installing the speed camera data base onto the Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Europe 2016 and wondered if anyone could offer any advice as to what I’m doing wrong or is it an issue with the Command System on-board the car? Details as follows;

Car – 2016 Mercedes AMG SLC43, 3 weeks old

When I view the system the Command System is listed as NTG5Star1, software Version 38.18

SD Card Garmin Map Pilot Europe 2016, V6 Map 6.0

I’ve tried loading the speed camera database as a .gpi file using the naming convention of Speedcams_UK_Camera.gpi and placed it in the POI folder on the SD card.

That didn’t work, so I created a folder called PersonalPOI within the main folder on the SD card and loaded speed camera data base in there.

That didn’t work either, so I created a folder called PersonalPOI as a stand alone folder on the SD card and loaded the camera data base in there.

That didn’t work either.

The main issue seems to be that when I enter the Navi menu there isn’t an option to import or copy any personal POI’s or is the system supposed to just pull the POI’s automatically into the sat nav?

The other method that I’ve tried is loading the speed camera database using the Garmin POI Loader and letting it place the POI camera file directly into the POI folder on the original Mercedes supplied SD card and that didn’t work either.

Am I doing something wrong or perhaps it’s due to the particular Command system that is installed in the car?

Hope someone can help.

Lisadj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG Line coupé
Speed limit assist can be added to newer cars with Comand but it needs the correct camera. It displays the speed limit in the dash and shows it on the command navigation screen. Have a chat with Comandonline who can advise.

Mine does this, but having done a speed awareness course just under 2 years ago I'm a good girl these days.
smileys-angel-788364.gif

Last edited:

Colin Pearson

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C-Class Estate c300h 2016
Sorry for reviving the old chestnut about adding speed camera locations to cars with COMAND. I would just like to mention that I followed the instructions given in the link below (you can find the entire thread on the forums here), and it took me no more than 30 minutes to complete the installation.

http://mb.jack-nicholson.info

The total cost was 10 pounds for an SD card from Tesco (you could probably get one much cheaper on ebay), and 9.95 euros for the POI database from scdb.info. You will also need an SD card reader if you don't have a PC with one already.

On my car (2014 model) it does alert you when you approach the camera, although it will alert you to cameras on both sides of the road, which isn't much of an inconvenience.

Simon

Hello. Just purchased a an ex-demonstrator 2016 C-class estate running COMAND NTG 5.0*2 (according to the Mercedes dealer). There is already an SD card in slot containing GARMIN MAP PILOT 5.2. If I take it out, NAVI doesn't work. Trying to import speed camera data but Import Data option is greyed out. Tried to trigger import via SD and USB but neither works.

But even if I succeed, I can only have one SD card in slot and unless there's a way round it, it has to be the GARMIN card. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Dell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 B class Exclusive Plus B180
Hi headhurts
The best way to do it with a Mac is to install windows on a vertual environment.
Dell

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Hi headhurts
The best way to do it with a Mac is to install windows on a vertual environment.
Dell

Thanks Dell, in the end I purchased a combined dash cam/safety camera device.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jovan Korica

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 '14 E250 & 1991 190E 2.5-16
Sorry for reviving the old chestnut about adding speed camera locations to cars with COMAND. I would just like to mention that I followed the instructions given in the link below (you can find the entire thread on the forums here), and it took me no more than 30 minutes to complete the installation.

http://mb.jack-nicholson.info

The total cost was 10 pounds for an SD card from Tesco (you could probably get one much cheaper on ebay), and 9.95 euros for the POI database from scdb.info. You will also need an SD card reader if you don't have a PC with one already.

On my car (2014 model) it does alert you when you approach the camera, although it will alert you to cameras on both sides of the road, which isn't much of an inconvenience.

Simon

hi Simon

I have bought the scdb annual licence, and downloaded my required gpx files. My question is, what do I need the POI loader for? In the instructions it just says load gpx files onto sd card, and install into vehicle?

Can you clarify?

Jovan

Uta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
560 SL
Hello. Just purchased a an ex-demonstrator 2016 C-class estate running COMAND NTG 5.0*2 (according to the Mercedes dealer). There is already an SD card in slot containing GARMIN MAP PILOT 5.2. If I take it out, NAVI doesn't work. Trying to import speed camera data but Import Data option is greyed out. Tried to trigger import via SD and USB but neither works.

But even if I succeed, I can only have one SD card in slot and unless there's a way round it, it has to be the GARMIN card. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Really late response to your question, but in case anyone else has a similar problem: You will need the Garmin POI Loader app (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927) as well as POIbase for PC (poibase.com) or the web version web.poibase.com (free unless you get a speed cam subscription). Basic instructions are:
(after installing Garmin POI Loader and Poibase where applicable)
Insert the sat nav's SD card in a card reader
Lauch POIbase or log into the web version
Select Garmin Map Pilot
Select Load POI's and Speed Cams and then Load POI's or Load Speed Cams (you can also import your own pois using the My Private POI's button)
Hit the yellow Download button
Select "Manual" transfer
Garmin POI Loader will now auto launch
Select Computer, then next, then save the POI data on your computer (NOT the SD card)
Then select Express unless you want to make the settings for each POI category manually
You will now have a file called 1097.GPI in the location on your computer you selected.
Copy this file to Garmin -> POI on the SD card.
Reset map display in the sat nav via Settings > Map View > Restore Map Display Settings
After that the POI's should load.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ allowed when you’re adding some really useful information! Thanks this will help others

i.sharif

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200/2016
Or use this alternative, as suggested.

Instructions here:

POCKET GPS WORLD SPEED CAMERAS FOR MERCEDES COMAND NTG4.5
What do you need?
a. A PC or laptop running either:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 or
Windows Vista or
Windows 7
All of them should have the required windows applications loaded to run vbs files.
b. An SD card (suggest 8 Mb Grade 10).

Procedure:
1. On the SD card, create a folder called “PersonalPOI” .
2. Log on to Pocket GPS World.
3. Go to speed camera download.
4. Select "Mercedes Comand".
5. Check “Include pMobile Files”.
6. Select “UK-single file with all cameras”.
7. Download the compressed file to the SD Card PersonalPOI folder.
8. Unpack the files.
[9-17 removed - related to vbs files]
18. Remove the SD card from the PC or Laptop.
19. Insert the SD card into the slot in the Mercedes NTG4.5 console.
20. Switch on the car.
21. Press the NAVI function button.
22. Select Navi in the main function bar. Press the Comand Controller to confirm.
23. Select PersonalPOIs and press the Comand Controller to confirm.
24. A notice “Importing Data etc” will appear. Press the Command Controller. Repeat Para 23 & 24 until you can select “Display PersonalPOIs”. This can take 3 or 4 minutes.
25. You should see 3 new Categories:
a. Pocket GPS UK FIXED Cameras.
b. Pocket GPS UK MOBILE Cameras.
c. Pocket GPS UK pMOBILE Cameras.
26. Select each in turn and press the Comand Controller to switch on the icon display for each one.
27. Call up the PersonalPOI menu again.
28. Select “Visual warning for PersonalPOIs” and press the Comand Controller to confirm.
29. The menu displays the available categories.
30. Select each category in turn and press the Comand controller to confirm each one.
31. MB UK has stated that there is no audible warning option on UK versions of NTG4.5
32. Check that the icons for the cameras appear on the map (you have to zoom the map to see them):
a. Fixed camera icon is a camera.
b. The pMobile & Mobile camera icon is a camera on a tripod.
33. The camera databases remain loaded as long as the SD card is left in the console. If you remove the SD card for any reason you will have to go through the in-car procedure again.
34. That’s it - enjoy.
Hello, thank you for these fantastic instructions! I have a 2016 C200, does anyone know if this will work for my car! I got hit with 3 speeding tickets in one week with the introduction of the sneaky new cameras on the north circular!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hello, thank you for these fantastic instructions! I have a 2016 C200, does anyone know if this will work for my car! I got hit with 3 speeding tickets in one week with the introduction of the sneaky new cameras on the north circular!!
Post #32 suggests it should work if you have the Garmin Map Pilot system but I have no knowledge about that. if you have the more expensive Comand system, which will be NTG5*2 like mine, then the scdb.info download mentioned earlier will work.

i.sharif

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200/2016
Thank you! I have a premium plus amg line, I think it will have the more expensive one? Is there a way to check on the system? Thanks again.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Thank you! I have a premium plus amg line, I think it will have the more expensive one? Is there a way to check on the system? Thanks again.
I’m pretty sure Premium Plus was Comand, it certainly is on mine. The easy way to check is look at the welcome/warning message you get when the system cones on. The Comand System says “Don’t let Comand distract you...” (or something like that) but the standard systems says “Don’t let the system distract you...”

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom