ECO on or off

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok facts:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw03eJsIzstTg62NijpA_9Vf

The summary admittedly states that fuel can be saved and emissions reduced but also acknowledges increased wear depending on driving profile.
As stated earlier the industry standard for design of starter components is 500k start cycles (for start stop vehicles) Vs 50k for non start stop. So effectively the industry is designing around 10x the starter motor usage. Mrs LKs Mini on a typical run out would start stop far more often than that therefore increased wear becomes a reality on the data in that study.
Also bear in mind that article is based on a 10 yr life for the vehicle. As we know many vehicles are operated far beyond 10 years.

None of my vehicles are less than 14 years old.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
In my last job I was given a 2014 VW Passat estate Auto 2.0L Tdi Bluemotion with delivery mileage, it was handed back 4 Years later with nearly 180k on the clock compiled of a 50-50 mix of Motorway and non-Motorway driving, dealer maintained for 3 Years independent for the 4th with only the expected consumables changed on the vehicle other than the Battery in it’s final service as a precautionary measure as it was deemed to be performing under par although the Stop/Start feature was still functional.

It would be interesting to discover just how many Stop/Start models have been nudged into a lower emission band providing tangible financial benefits to the end user?

It would also be interesting to hear of real life cases where there has been solid evidence of damage caused by the Stop/Start function?

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Another thing to consider for petrols is that they are / have moved away from using the starter for stop start. They can now position the engine so accurately that they can just inject fuel and spark it to restart the engine.

Diesels being compression based I don't think I have read anything about those not using a starter. It is becoming more common for it to be a second, smaller and more efficient starter though.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
done with this .all to their own,simples..dont like it ,wont use it, dont need the associated failures risk,

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Ok facts:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw03eJsIzstTg62NijpA_9Vf

The summary admittedly states that fuel can be saved and emissions reduced but also acknowledges increased wear depending on driving profile.
As stated earlier the industry standard for design of starter components is 500k start cycles (for start stop vehicles) Vs 50k for non start stop. So effectively the industry is designing around 10x the starter motor usage. Mrs LKs Mini on a typical run out would start stop far more often than that therefore increased wear becomes a reality on the data in that study.
Also bear in mind that article is based on a 10 yr life for the vehicle. As we know many vehicles are operated far beyond 10 years.

None of my vehicles are less than 14 years old.

Thanks, will have a read. Agree the possibility does increase with the more usage, not sure age is relevant as it could be 15 years old and rarely started, definitely cycles. Galactic mile taxis will have had more than the cycles of a typical 10 or 15 year old car within their life, and it doesn't appear to be causing issues. So its worrying about something that is a low risk.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks, will have a read. Agree the possibility does increase with the more usage, not sure age is relevant as it could be 15 years old and rarely started, definitely cycles. Galactic mile taxis will have had more than the cycles of a typical 10 or 15 year old car within their life, and it doesn't appear to be causing issues. So its worrying about something that is a low risk.
Assuming of course that taxi drivers don't turn it off...
Most of our local taxi drivers use hybrids...

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I just leave it on. Mostly until I've done a few miles (actually when I get on the motorway) its not active. I suspect the battery needs to be fully charged.
The occasion I think I might need a quicker get-a-way (which is rare because as mentioned you're probably taking a risk anyway) I switch it off temporarily.

Another thing to consider for petrols is that they are / have moved away from using the starter for stop start. They can now position the engine so accurately that they can just inject fuel and spark it to restart the engine.

Diesels being compression based I don't think I have read anything about those not using a starter. It is becoming more common for it to be a second, smaller and more efficient starter though.

My CLA does not have that, I have poverty halogens :p on mine and when it restarts they dim.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom