Eco system fail

Tommo5482

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 c220d blue efficiency
Hi newbie here …. 2011 c220d .. eco system fail, light works on ignition but goes out few seconds later, no stop/start. Thought battery issue but no other symptoms. May be connection somewhere as system comes back to life if driven on very bumpy ground (happened twice now, off road car park and pothole ) but dies again on restart. Any ideas where to start please?!

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
mine had a similar fault to yours where eco light would go out once car started and it was the main battery but mine never came back on over rough ground which does point to a connection issue but i would have thought you would have other problems as well. i would look at your auxilary battery and check the connections on that and the fuse holder next to it,there is a 7.5 amp fuse which operates the stop/start and if you remove the fuse you get the eco light appear on ignition but once started it goes out,removing the fuse permantley disables the stop/start so you might have a loose fuse or connection there. the auxilary battery is located in the boot.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I saved 5 kg by removing my good original auxiliary battery and sold it for £30 .

Screenshot_20211207-084456_YouTube.jpg

20200923_182218.jpg

Also my main battery ( still original ) , engine mounts , starter motor , alternator and drive chain tensioner will now last longer .

Eco will not save you fuel , even if it did it will not offset the greater wear and tear of Stop Strain .

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Eco upsell is saving fuel, its plus is stopping exhaiust gas into air when not needed.

For the end user its crap because of all the wear it puts on the cars relevant components during use, which need replacing - did any one factor in the environmental impact to make and teplace these parts - of course not. My W205 is on its 3rd aux battery already with less than 30k.

Imagine without SS you would normally SS once during a drive say 30 mins in a city. With SS it may be 10 times during the drive. So put that into perspectine in terms of wear over a day, week, month and year. ITS HORRENDOUS

Phillip Butler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350D Shooting brake
Hi newbie here …. 2011 c220d .. eco system fail, light works on ignition but goes out few seconds later, no stop/start. Thought battery issue but no other symptoms. May be connection somewhere as system comes back to life if driven on very bumpy ground (happened twice now, off road car park and pothole ) but dies again on restart. Any ideas where to start please?!
I had the same problem. Took it into my main dealers who put it on the diagnostic which told them it wasn't the aux. battery, but could be a diode. In the end it took over 3 days and £700 (special negociated rate) to uncover the fact that a lead was shorting out and had to be replaced.
The car seems to be OK now (fingers crossed), but I dislike stop-start due to the wear and tear it puts on other components.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
When my ECO is turned on the restart is almost magical. No cranking or seemingly no effort at all, it's just suddenly the engine is running again, so I'm not sure of the extra wear that is going on?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
When my ECO is turned on the restart is almost magical. No cranking or seemingly no effort at all, it's just suddenly the engine is running again, so I'm not sure of the extra wear that is going on?
Some newer ones don't use a starter for stop/start - they inject fuel and ignite it which starts the car again. The wear is on the cam chain

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
When my ECO is turned on the restart is almost magical. No cranking or seemingly no effort at all, it's just suddenly the engine is running again, so I'm not sure of the extra wear that is

Yr ring g gear will suffer as most motors stop in same place, changing that won't be cheap . Another batt and then starter wear. As soon as I get in car 1st thing key in stop start off.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Stop/start not working is a result as far as I am concerned. However intermittent is a bit of a problem :rolleyes:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom