Egg smell??

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Just got back from the Gym and i had a bad egg smell for a while on the way home. I noticed it earlier today.

What could it be? Sulpher??

Battery not hissing, cant see any dead animals in the engine bay - could it be the CAT??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pop into Halfords and get a air con cleaner purifier it will solve your problem

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Were you using your screenwash at the time? Screenwash fluids can degrade over time and the resulting bacteria generate hydrogen disulphide (bad egg smell).

If it was that (taking the cap off the sreeenwash filler and having a good sniff is a reliable check), a thorough flush of the screenwash system with clean water, or preferably one of the proprietary solutions specifically for this job ought to cure it

nine468

Reaction score
I second what Malcom has said. Its your AC thats causing it....
Try some "Forte" AC cleaner... Its great...

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Just got back from the Gym and i had a bad egg smell for a while on the way home. I noticed it earlier today.

The smell is hydrogen sulphide - as you correctly say. It can be produced by a catalytic converter, during warm up, and that might explain why you smelled it temporarily when the engine was cold. (I suppose you could also have been following a car emitting the smell and it may not have been yours?).

At higher concentrations, hydrogen sulphide temporarily disables the sense of smell and you can not detect it. At much higher concentrations it can be fatal.

Worth following the advice on clearing any bacteria from you A/C that might be causing it - but I wonder if that source would have only produced it briefly?

As it can have an effect on your sense of smell - you may not be the best judge if it has gone, so after the treatment get someone else to try to smell it and confirm it has gone.

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
Its a Non AC car - didnt want the hassle of aircon

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a Non AC car - didnt want the hassle of aircon

I think that is very reassuring, in that it probably relates to the cat warming up, and once warm, it stops producing H2S.

Persistent production, after you could no longer smell it, would be evidenced by eye irritation - which I think is extremely unlikely.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
At higher concentrations, hydrogen sulphide temporarily disables the sense of smell and you can not detect it. At much higher concentrations it can be fatal.

Any idea what sort of flowers he likes;)

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i agree with what somone has allready pointed out, it's most likely the SO2 from the CAT, but this should never enter the inside of the car? if the smell occurs again with no other cars ahead of you then you need to check the integrity of your exhaust system and the boot seals/ herbiemercman.

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
i agree with what somone has allready pointed out, it's most likely the SO2 from the CAT, but this should never enter the inside of the car? if the smell occurs again with no other cars ahead of you then you need to check the integrity of your exhaust system and the boot seals/ herbiemercman.

It was a bad chemical reaction with screenwash my dad topped the bottle up with mixing with the stuff already in.

Drove down the motorway last night emptyin the bottle and had the re-circulation button on to stop the stence coming in - smelt like a farm

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It was a bad chemical reaction with screenwash my dad topped the bottle up with mixing with the stuff already in.

Drove down the motorway last night emptyin the bottle and had the re-circulation button on to stop the stence coming in - smelt like a farm

Glad to hear that you have "bottomed" the problem! :rolleyes:

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
smelt worse as the weeks went on - rotten eggs to cow ****

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k

What could it be? Sulpher??

Battery not hissing, cant see any dead animals in the engine bay - could it be the CAT??

Did you work up much of a sweat in the gym?? did you have eggs for tea the night before?? smell in the car with you??;)

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Had the same thing once in our 1954 ford pick up -chicken nest under the passenger side of the bench seat !

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom