EIS not responding in morning

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI BlueEfficiency AMG Sport Plus
Hi, this is my 1st post - and I can't see how else to lodge it and I've seen your name frequently on yje posts I've read.

I've a 2001 C220 CDI and am having problems (I believe it's W203).
Over the last 2 weeks...was initially slow to open on the remote 1st thing in the morning and then would take a few turns in the ignition before the ignition would start - although once the car was started - it opened / started 1st time.
Last few days (with cold nights & heavy condensation in the morning) car wouldn't open on remote. So I opened with back-up key and triggered the alarm - and the key fob was not recognised for 15 - 30 minutes. This morning the same thing happened although no recognition of the key at all in the ignition. I put a hairdryer in through the fuse-panel beside the ignition (while the key was in the ignition) and the ignition sprung to life within 30 - 60 seconds.
I Left the car in with local independent mechanic who put it on his computer and print out shows "EIS control module (N73) is faulty" and he advised me to contact the Main Merc Dealership.
Before I do this - is there anything obvious that I could do to avoid the pending ££££ spend on replacement / reprogramming ??
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jasper220

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome I did get the Pm but so busy:(

I am not sure at this stage,,what you could try is to hold the key in front of a digital camera, and you will see the IR beam.

If that is OK put the key in the ignition if it will not turn,then push any button on the remote part and try again.

We have to start off this way

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 56
OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you - and apologies, I only sussed out the general posting system after I submitted the PM.

I have already done what you've suggested with both remote controls (plus replaced both sets of batteries, to be sure!)
The confusing thing is that both the remote central locking and the ignition work fine throughout the day, once the initial fight with the alarm and ignition is over (even from 20m distance).
I intend to try the 'hairdryer' approach again 1st thing in the morning to see if it actually repeatable, or whether it was simply a coincidence.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cant see this as an EIS problem and I hope not,,moisture getting in where it should not can do funny things, and any part of the car could upset things,,wait for you to post back

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
I went through the same thing. The colder it got in the mornings the longer it took to get car started. In the end I had no choice but to get the EIS replaced by the indie and it wasn't cheap. Hope you get it sorted.

OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks eGuru.
I was thinking I'm simply delaying the inevitable.
My Indie's computer print-out states it's the E.I.S. and he said that even if he fitted the replacement, it would need to be 'programmed' by Mercedes Dealer.
This morning (which was reasonably mild & no condensation) I put the key in the ignition and, as usual, it wasn't recognised.
I left it in the ignition and used a hair dryer on low heat warm-up the back of the key unit (through the fuse panel).
Within 45 seconds the ignition switch recognised the key and clicked and allowed me to turn it on.

Is there anything servicable in the system ?

I know it won't be cheap - can anyone advise from experience what it's likely to cost ?

Thanks Again

eGuru

Reaction score
Website
www.artguru.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C180 S204, S320 CDi
Hi Jasper, unfortunately there is nothing serviceable with the EIS, or so I have been told. For my car the part cost £309 plus VAT. I bought the part from MB and had my indie fit it. A lot of information is held on the EIS which has to be downloaded on to a special. This information is then uploaded again on the new part.
I also had to borrow the special key from MB. Don't know the technical reasons behind this. You will need to leave a refundable deposit with MB for this key.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
these eis modules apparently suffer dry solder joints, certainly fits with the hair dryer scenario. i wonder if malcolm is interested in getting involved??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
First will the key turn when you press any button on the remote while the key is in the car, this would tell you if the fault is in the transponder section

Make sure that the end of the key is clean (the red bit) shine a torch down the hole where the key goes and check that the red pick up lens is clean

I have forgotten how easy it is to get these things apart,,I think that the transponder section is very hard.

I can only ever try.

I saw a few dead ones in MBS,,maybe I could have one of those to play with before the real thing.

Attachments

• Picture 299.jpg
    Picture 299.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 300.jpg
    Picture 300.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 301.jpg
    Picture 301.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 302.jpg
    Picture 302.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 303.jpg
    Picture 303.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 113
OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last night manually locked car to avoid triggering alarm on opening the door with the back-up key.

Checked red tip of key and down ignition for cleanliness.
This morning, I put key in ignition - again not recognised.
Pressed button while in ignition - no response.

Put heat into back of ignition and after 60 seconds the ignition clicked into life and I could start car without a problem. After removing key - the remote locking on doors worked in response the the key fob.

I went back 30 minutes later and this time I needed to apply heat for about 30 seconds before the key was recognised. This was the 1st time that, after initial start-up, the car failed to recognise the key.

Is this simply a deterorating condition (especially as the weather cools into Autumn - Winter) ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can check some of it,,but it would have to be posted to me

OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your kind assistance.
I've lost things in the post between England and here (N'Ireland), so I'm obvioulsy nervous about sending anything of value (especially as Merc need to take info from it.
This morning seemed took a little longer to start, so I called into our local (only) Mercedes dealership in Northern Ireland.
They quoted £320 for the new E.I.S. and 2.6 hours labour plus VAT - Rounded up to £628. After picking myself off the floor - I booked it in for later this week.
I don't want to be without the car for any longer than a couple of days and the helpful guy on service reception said that he'd see how he could improve the overall costs.
I'll keep you updated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your kind assistance.
I've lost things in the post between England and here (N'Ireland), so I'm obvioulsy nervous about sending anything of value (especially as Merc need to take info from it.
This morning seemed took a little longer to start, so I called into our local (only) Mercedes dealership in Northern Ireland.
They quoted £320 for the new E.I.S. and 2.6 hours labour plus VAT - Rounded up to £628. After picking myself off the floor - I booked it in for later this week.
I don't want to be without the car for any longer than a couple of days and the helpful guy on service reception said that he'd see how he could improve the overall costs.
I'll keep you updated.

The labour should be no more than one hour,,plus you should get the discount for the age of the car

OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with your time frame for the physical removal and replacement of the EIS.
What about the information transfer / Download to the new EIS - is there much time involvedal in that ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with your time frame for the physical removal and replacement of the EIS.
What about the information transfer / Download to the new EIS - is there much time involvedal in that ?

I do not think that there anything to transfer,,some members have fitted a new one themselves,,I think that they come coded for the car, but not 100% on that

OP
J

Jasper220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They advised me that there's a 'data' key which comes from Germany which costs £160 - but as it's returned to Germany once used - I'm not actually charged for it. They suggested that the info was a replication of the data assigned to my car (but I may have picked this up wrongly).

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom