electric aerial to non-electric wire adaptor....

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
hi

my electric aerial is broke on my car so i bought a replacement from eBay. unfortunatly it took me 6 months to get round to fitting it, and then it turns out its cheap, nasty and broke as soon as i started to use it :(

anyway, cash is low so i bought a cheap £4 manual aerial to take its place, for now.

the manual aerial has the standard DIN plug to go direct into the back of a radio, but the wire in the boot of the SL has a female electric aerial connector.

does anyone know what type (and where) adaptor i need? I dont mind cutting the manual aerial wire to fit something but i dont want to touch the car wire as i will fit an original electric aerial again at some point.

thanks

derek

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Any chance of a picture of the plug on the car

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
Any chance of a picture of the plug on the car

here is a pic of the electric aerial - you can see the screw in wire going into the aerial in the middle of the mast. this unscrews so you can remove the aerial....

replacement_antenna_black_w_motor.jpg

Attachments

• aerial.JPG
    aerial.JPG
    1.1 KB · Views: 268

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
That is the electric one - whats on the manual one?
The plug in the car is what I'd expect, normally you have a male ariel lead that plugs straight in. Bit confused with the 'din' plug, never seen one used on an ariel.
If its the plug shown tht you're trying to connect, I'd expect the other end of that wire to have a male plug on it that would connect to the extension lead in the car's wiring.

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
this is what is on the end of the wire on the manual aerial:

AUTOLEADS-PC5-27.jpg

so i need this to plug into an adaptor that, in turn plugs into the wire in the boot that usually goes into the electric aerial (this is screwed in)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That plug looks like a UHF connector any chance of the diameter on the threaded male section thats joined to the aerial,,and I take it that the lead that screws in from the car is male

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
That plug looks like a UHF connector any chance of the diameter on the threaded male section thats joined to the aerial,,and I take it that the lead that screws in from the car is male

hi

i'll take some proper photos of the actual item on the car and measurements tonight

thanks

derek

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
That's a standard car aerial plug that has become common on aerials these days.
On mine there is a lead with that screw bodied plug on it comming from the boot which connects into an extension under the rear seat using the old fashioned type of car aerial plug.

Try www.cpc.co.uk for a low cost (£30) hirchman replacement. They also stock some considerable amount other car radio stuff.

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
On mine there is a lead with that screw bodied plug on it comming from the boot which connects into an extension under the rear seat using the old fashioned type of car aerial plug.

Try www.cpc.co.uk for a low cost (£30) hirchman replacement. They also stock some considerable amount other car radio stuff.

i may see if the end of the wire is to hand in the boot then....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I have the CPC cat and they have 2 Hirshman aerials, they look the same as your photo,, AP00870 and 71 and 72

or AP01 400 though MB not listed, all listed at around £30

So that plug could just be a standard car radio plug. the leads are sod by CPC and only £2.66 number AP00873,and you could chop that up

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
the leads are sod by CPC and only £2.66 number AP00873,and you could chop that up

AP00873 is not the type i need. i need to convert from the male end of AP00873 to the one on the car which screws in.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AP00873 is not the type i need. i need to convert from the male end of AP00873 to the one on the car which screws in.

Lets wait for the picture then please of that plug :D

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
here are the pics (sorry for the quality - my camera wasnt focussing very well)

I need some way, (via adaptor or new plug on the 1st cable (can cut this wire)) to plug this:

aerial_aerial_side.jpg

into to this: (cannot modify/cut this side)

aerial_car_side.jpg

the 2nd pic is a female connector of some kind and if connected to the electric aerial it screws on.

thanks!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I think that the hole in the plug (2nd pic) is 4 mm

would you try the end pin in pic one, in the hole in the center of the socket in pic 2 if this is a good fit I will make you up an adapter that will do the job for now.

If the lead on the new aerial is very long, it is not a good idea to coil it up as this would then become an inductor, but if you can lay it out so that is not in a loop then fine

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I think we're solving a problem here that doesn't exist.
The screw plug on the old ariel is irrelevant. The wire you're thinking is part of the car's wiring (that ends at this plug) isn't. It came with the airel. It's the equivalent of the same wire thats on your new ariel, only instead of being hardwired in, as it is on the new ariel, it's attached via that plug. Handy if you swap like with like but no use now. It needs discarding.
Trace the other end of that wire.
It will probably go through the rear panel to under somewhere behind/under the rear seat swab, where it will plug into an extension with the same plug that you have on your new ariel. Just unplug that one and plug in the new wire.

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
I think we're solving a problem here that doesn't exist.
The screw plug on the old ariel is irrelevant. The wire you're thinking is part of the car's wiring (that ends at this plug) isn't. It came with the airel. It's the equivalent of the same wire thats on your new ariel, only instead of being hardwired in, as it is on the new ariel, it's attached via that plug. Handy if you swap like with like but no use now. It needs discarding.
Trace the other end of that wire.
It will probably go through the rear panel to under somewhere behind/under the rear seat swab, where it will plug into an extension with the same plug that you have on your new ariel. Just unplug that one and plug in the new wire.

i can certainly try to trace the wire through and see if the connector is anywere easily accessable, but the new aerial is just a temp solution, so i didnt want to start changing stuff on the car side. also the existing wire you mention removing dissapears behind/under the petrol tank so may be difficult to find a path from the boot to the rear seat.

the pin on pic one is too thick to fit into the hole in pic 2. i thought about maybe putting a nail or pin into the hole in pic 2 and gaffer taping it to the pin on pic 1, then adding a bit of wire to the casing of each. reckon it would work?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have a spare phono lead to see if this fits the hole in the car socket,,if not I can pop one in the post to try,,you do not have to send it back as I have hundreds of them spare

OP
SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
Do you have a spare phono lead to see if this fits the hole in the car socket,,if not I can pop one in the post to try,,you do not have to send it back as I have hundreds of them spare

thanks but i think the pin that would be too big. it more likely to fit something like a satalite tv aerial type connection.... infact the car socket resembles a female sky connector but with the screw-type cover on it (that would be on the male sky connector)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I can send you a F connector as used on Sky boxes,,as the coax forms the center pin,,with just a kink in the wire near the end the contact would be good, I can fit a short piece of coax to join onto the aerial plug

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The inside of the cable looks like in the photo, as this is only temp, all you have to do is put the male into the female and tape it up, then put some tinfoil over what you taped up and put more tape over the tin foil.

The centre wire carries the signal and the outer sheathing is a shielding from interference………………I think.
If the male isn’t a tight fit you could strip it as in picture and bend over, to double, the centre wire.
You could try it to see what happens.

Dec
0-RG6.jpg

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom