Electric car

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What that article fails to mention is that it's possible to have an electric vehicle with near zero CO2 including extraction of lithium and manufacture of batteries. The prime requirement during manufacture is electricity which can be generated with very low or zero CO2. Same with recharging. It just requires electricity generation to catch up on the zero emissions.
You can never get a zero CO2 diesel or petrol car.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What that article fails to mention is that it's possible to have an electric vehicle with near zero CO2 including extraction of lithium and manufacture of batteries. The prime requirement during manufacture is electricity which can be generated with very low or zero CO2. Same with recharging. It just requires electricity generation to catch up on the zero emissions.
One of the problems though is the energy intensity of manufacture of alternative energy sources; they’re not nice!

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Carbon is BAD. It should be banned!

;)

Tell me again, wot r we humans made of, the 18% bit? ;) We're not all bad, honest guv :cool:

Do we have zero CO2 electrical generation?

This is, I presume, due to Germany’s electro generation mix?

Hence the need for energy security with a mix of generation. :rolleyes::cool:

Interesting video of first steps:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/hinkley-point-concrete-pour-record-3040157

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tell me again, wot r we humans made of, the 18% bit? ;) We're not all bad, honest guv :cool:

Do we have zero CO2 electrical generation?

Hence the need for energy security with a mix of generation. :rolleyes::cool:

Interesting video of first steps:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/hinkley-point-concrete-pour-record-3040157
That’s what the whole “nett zero carbon” thing really grips me with. Apparently we must stop producing s friable black element with low atomic number.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Currently dog sitting (the doggy comes to us) so I end up walking her (the deal was the girls want a dog, they deal with it. Doesn't happen :(). As we walked around our enclave of 50 houses I checked out what cars are on the drives.

Not a single electric, nor hybrid, nor PHEV.
Predominantly dieseasel, with a few petrols.
Mostly under 3 years old.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Currently dog sitting (the doggy comes to us) so I end up walking her (the deal was the girls want a dog, they deal with it. Doesn't happen :(). As we walked around our enclave of 50 houses I checked out what cars are on the drives.

Not a single electric, nor hybrid, nor PHEV.
Predominantly dieseasel, with a few petrols.
Mostly under 3 years old.
12 homes in my little ‘close ‘ Keith , some 18 cars
We have one PHEV and one Hybrid and that’s it...it will take a while for sure !

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Why are people so scared of electric cars? They're inherently far simpler than ICE and don't require any of the complexity of a hybrid.
Completely agree LK, much lower maintenance, more comfortable due to no noise or vibration and they drive really nicely. And now that we are getting EV's coming out with a 500 kms range, it's a no brainer.

What's not to like ?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Completely agree LK, much lower maintenance, more comfortable due to no noise or vibration and they drive really nicely. And now that we are getting EV's coming out with a 500 kms range, it's a no brainer.

What's not to like ?

well for starters...

1. Price tag, Tesla Model S after selecting a few extra’s £90,000
  2. Exaggerated range capabilities by all manufacturers, they should publish winter figures with lighting and heating on and expected annual battery capacity/performance losses
  3. Batteries were so inadequate, manufacturers had to bundle generators with the cars and brand them as Hybrids.
  4. Manufacturers are now Renting/Leasing batteries under separate agreements shifting more of their liabilities to the customers expense.
  5. Inadequate charging network.
  6. Excessive charge times from poor specification commercial charging points.
  7. And here’s one just for Mercedes, unleashing a technology they would appear to know very little about, on an unsuspecting public.
There's no doubt that EV's are the cars of the future, but it'll be another 5 Years before they're fit-for-purpose and ready for the masses. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Inadequate charging network.
When internal combustion cars first appeared the refuelling infrastructure was poor as well. Prior to ICE cars you could get hay everywhere....
Actually almost everything you've cited there was true of internal combustion engines cars at one point.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
When internal combustion cars first appeared the refuelling infrastructure was poor as well. Prior to ICE cars you could get hay everywhere....
Actually almost everything you've cited there was true of internal combustion engines cars at one point.
Yes I've no doubt it's the same with the rollout of any new technology and would likely be even more difficult had the powers that be opted for Hydrogen as the popular fuel of choice?
But if the current specification batteries were up to scratch, there wouldn't be a need for charging points on every street corner and public car park, as long as your daily or occasional route is within a return journey to your home base. One thing I would like to see as well is the rollout of more Economy 7 tariff's for all the night time charging that is going to take place, Economy 7 tariffs have been at capacity since I think the 1980's and are only rolled out when existing dual tariffs are surrendered.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom