Electric cars

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
And yet against all of your arguments, the carmakers aren’t adopting a swappable battery. Why? Because the overall global pros to keeping a battery in the car far, far outweigh the overall global cons. And it’s not a case of saying, “drive this car in, remove & swap battery”, it’s “drive 292 million cars in each week” just for Europe alone. Alongside of that, maintain that fleet of 292 million batteries each with a warranty that isn’t signed to an actual end user. And so on and so on. Really, the problems spiral enormously.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
And yet against all of your arguments, the carmakers aren’t adopting a swappable battery. Why?
Because they want to keep manufacturing and selling vehicles - short term gain for a long term pain (for the environment that is) :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Because they want to keep manufacturing and selling vehicles - short term gain for a long term pain (for the environment that is) :(
They would do anyway. Cars would wear out. Batteries would life expire. Actually this model would be better go battery manufacturers due to the loss/ theft/ wastage inherent in maintaining a very large centrally controlled fleet.

The model for car ownership as being dabbled with in the 20-40 year future is one of ride-hailing autonomous drive vehicles, so owned by businesses and rented out for the journey. That’s very much not conducive to a swappable battery scenario.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Just to update an old (ish) thread...

Nio are the Chinese company that are selling a range of cars with battery swap. However these cars are also able to be CCS charged, so an en-route recharge is fine.

Kia have their EV6 - can be charged 10%-80% in just 18min for about 200- 250m range (100% is about 312) you would struggle to have a pee and a coffee in that time!! After 200 Miles I'd want a break anyhow.

The tech is here now, and it works. I have an EV and do long trips, I have to say the tech just works well and I wouldn't go back to Dino juice!

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
A colleague of mine who just works for fun nowadays has been there any done all that. He’s not a die hard petrol head but likes a nice car. He bought a Jaguar EV and said he would never go back. He says it’s cheaper to refuel, just do it over night but, by and large it is only because he never does long journeys thus, range is never an issue. He said if he needed to go on a trek he would either use a family members car or just hire one.

My neighbours had a friend over just before Xmas from Holland. They rocked up in a Audi suv EV. He said the trip in a EV was a headache as you need to really plan it ahead. But in Holland, again he only does short trips so most of the time range is not an issue. However on the way back he had to take a 30 mile detour due to all chargers not being the same apparently.

The company I work for offered all employees 40% off on a pay monthly deal on ANY electric car. Not a single person has taken up the offer despite all the staff being seriously well off with savage amounts of money to dispose of if they wished. Our company also owns a chunk of A famous EV manufacturer featured on top gear.

A 3rd party rocked up just before Xmas to perform a survey for us in a Tesla model 3. He liked it, couldn’t praise it enough and also said he would not go back to petrol/diesel. He gets about a bit with frequent trips between Luton and London. Another colleague who joined my team also has a Model 3 and commutes to work most days in it although he’s in Switzerland and not the UK. His commute is about 1hr 15mins and again, the Tesla for him is fine.

I’m not against EVs and I do not think it’s green from the production side but as with conventional cars, I am not going **** a penny up the wall because a new bandwagon is rolling and I’m certainly not going to be anyone’s Guinea pig, so I’ll sit back and watch which EV vehicles turn out to be the most reliable as the next decade rolls by.

The only thing I’d like to see is the boy racers get into EVs as their pops and farts exhausts on cars they never take to a track are just ****** annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
A colleague of mine who just works for fun nowadays has been there any done all that. He’s not a die hard petrol head but likes a nice car. He bought a Jaguar EV and said he would never go back. He says it’s cheaper to refuel, just do it over night but, by and large it is only because he never does long journeys thus, range is never an issue. He said if he needed to go on a trek he would either use a family members car or just hire one.

My neighbours had a friend over just before Xmas from Holland. They rocked up in a Audi suv EV. He said the trip in a EV was a headache as you need to really plan it ahead. But in Holland, again he only does short trips so most of the time range is not an issue. However on the way back he had to take a 30 mile detour due to all chargers not being the same apparently.

The company I work for offered all employees 40% off on a pay monthly deal on ANY electric car. Not a single person has taken up the offer despite all the staff being seriously well off with savage amounts of money to dispose of if they wished. Our company also owns a chunk of A famous EV manufacturer featured on top gear.

A 3rd party rocked up just before Xmas to perform a survey for us in a Tesla model 3. He liked it, couldn’t praise it enough and also said he would not go back to petrol/diesel. He gets about a bit with frequent trips between Luton and London. Another colleague who joined my team also has a Model 3 and commutes to work most days in it although he’s in Switzerland and not the UK. His commute is about 1hr 15mins and again, the Tesla for him is fine.

I’m not against EVs and I do not think it’s green from the production side but as with conventional cars, I am not going **** a penny up the wall because a new bandwagon is rolling and I’m certainly not going to be anyone’s Guinea pig, so I’ll sit back and watch which EV vehicles turn out to be the most reliable as the next decade rolls by.

The only thing I’d like to see is the boy racers get into EVs as their pops and farts exhausts on cars they never take to a track are just ****** annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have time to sit back.. At 82, I feel that, if I am going to do this, I should go now before I run out of time or ability to enjoy a drive. I have ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and should get it shortly. I do have other cars so don't have a range anxiety issue. At 400odd km range, I will no doubt be recharging it at home for little cost and do most of my urban travel in it. I don't do over 300km in a day's driving these days anyway. What's the hurry? Take it easy and enjoy the scenery. I'm looking forwartd to the experience of EV.
Ian.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have time to sit back.. At 82, I feel that, if I am going to do this, I should go now before I run out of time or ability to enjoy a drive. I have ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and should get it shortly. I do have other cars so don't have a range anxiety issue. At 400odd km range, I will no doubt be recharging it at home for little cost and do most of my urban travel in it. I don't do over 300km in a day's driving these days anyway. What's the hurry? Take it easy and enjoy the scenery. I'm looking forwartd to the experience of EV.
Ian.
The Hyundai Ioniq is the most popular model used for taxis in Leeds I have noticed in recent times, while my car was subject to a SORN for a few Months due to medical reasons, most of my transport was by taxi and there wasn't a negative word to be said about the Ioniq from any of the drivers! One thing I noticed as a rear seat passenger in any of the current popular EV models is that the ride was reminiscent of the ride in a 1970's basic mini or a Morris 1000, you felt every bump in the road and had the feeling that the rear suspension had failed and was riding on the rubber bumpers!

Reactions: DSK

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
The Hyundai Ioniq is the most popular model used for taxis in Leeds I have noticed in recent times, while my car was subject to a SORN for a few Months due to medical reasons, most of my transport was by taxi and there wasn't a negative word to be said about the Ioniq from any of the drivers! One thing I noticed as a rear seat passenger in any of the current popular EV models is that the ride was reminiscent of the ride in a 1970's basic mini or a Morris 1000, you felt every bump in the road and had the feeling that the rear suspension had failed and was riding on the rubber bumpers!
I think that, in the effort to increase range, all the EV's have adopted 20 inch wheels with 40 or 45 series rubber. This must lead to a sharper ride. If it proves too harsh, I would be happy to drop back to 18" with 60 series rubber for a better end result. If it loses some range, so be it.
I have ridden in a Tesla and a Volvo XC40 and both were a little rigid but acceptable. I'm hoping the Ioniq is as good - the order system here requires one to fill out one's specs on the 'net and pay a $2000 deposit to have a unit allocated to you. One then gets a test drive a few weeks later and if happy, a contract is then signed with delivery within a few weeks. Numbers are extremely limited here and it is a "fastest finger first" job on the net to even get an order in. Not a nice experience. I initially tried for a 2WD in white, then again in teal with no success - all gone before I could complete the order - and swapped to a 4WD and managed to get one in white. Phew!!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
A tweet from Matt Saunders on Twitter :-

Wow. Just had £100 parking fine for overstaying at an @MotorFuelGroup EV charging station by, wait for it… four-and-a-half minutes. That’s having already paid circa £35 for charging there. File that under 101 ways you’re likely to get ripped off in the electric car revolution

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What ever you feel about the EV revolution, this is not acceptable, can you imagine walking along the street and going base over apex over that :(

1650465209258.png

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi Guys :)

Just a quick question to all you automotive genius types out there....
Mrs severnless is thinking of changeing her car, her VW touran is now 10 years old and has 75k miles, I’ve just this minute serviced it,( full service! ) I just noticed that things are starting to look tired, rust starting to show on shocks etc, tyres need replacing due to inner edge wear.
it’s been a great car due to its Load lugging capacity.

But with the emissions charge that will be coming in the next couple of years and she being a trauma hub nurse at Sandwell hospital, we were thinking that along with the car parking that she has to pay already the emissions charge would make going to work in her diesel Touran a bit of a problem!

Sooooo my question to you guys is, has anybody seriously looked at electric? If so what make and model?
She says she wants a similar sized car for load lugging and our 2, 2year old girls!
Her commute is 30 miles a day, but with a possible long journey every so often of 150miles one way
If VW came out with an electric Touran it would be perfect, but don’t think they are as yet?
The Tesla model Y would be perfect as well but not avalible till next year!
We are thinking of buying rather than lease, then move on every 2 to 3 years to keep the value in the cars
Put it this way her Touran over 10 years has cost £1k ish per year as she brought it for £16k in 2010 and it’s now worth between £4-£6k depending on the market.
So if we can keep the costs the same with the added bonus of cheep charging and less serviceing it seems like a no brainier to go electric for us.
Over to you......
Wait hydrogen commin think of all the power tools u replaced cos new near same as replacemt battery. Of get a lecky car with small motor. Least u always get home eventually.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I couldn't buy an MG as it's made in China now and I am limiting what I buy from China....
Same unless I only ever see one use for it.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I couldn't buy an MG as it's made in China now and I am limiting what I buy from China....
I don't really want to buy anything from China, or India for that matter, but that is pretty much impossible. As far as I am concerned anything that comes out of those two countries is utter rubbish. It's a shame that they are now acquiring some of our home grown product manufacturers. No doubt the quality of those products will slide which is a shame :confused:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Wait hydrogen commin think of all the power tools u replaced cos new near same as replacemt battery. Of get a lecky car with small motor. Least u always get home eventually.
Hydrogen doesn't make any sense for private vehicle use due to the massive inherent losses. Efficiency wise they're on a par with petrol with an overall efficiency around 30%. Pure battery EVs are easily double that and near triple.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I o
Hydrogen doesn't make any sense for private vehicle use due to the massive inherent losses. Efficiency wise they're on a par with petrol with an overall efficiency around 30%. Pure battery EVs are easily double that and near triple.
ls Alistair I ant buyin anything that requires replaceable batteries. Range not great new. Five yr down road? Look I just got back after 5 months away another 2 Roybi 5va,hr batts won't take charge. Batts are 90 ukp the tool about 140 odd often less. Just that car batts, are ££££?. Mind u in France today diesel 1.96 cheapest was 1.91 smaller places cheaper than supermarkets today.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What ever you feel about the EV revolution, this is not acceptable, can you imagine walking along the street and going base over apex over that :(

View attachment 76211
I’ve noticed little black bollards cropping up on residential streets with EV charging and a white box painted on the road for “Electric Vehicle” - usually just one on a street of 30+ cars

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I o

ls Alistair I ant buyin anything that requires replaceable batteries. Range not great new. Five yr down road? Look I just got back after 5 months away another 2 Roybi 5va,hr batts won't take charge. Batts are 90 ukp the tool about 140 odd often less. Just that car batts, are ££££?. Mind u in France today diesel 1.96 cheapest was 1.91 smaller places cheaper than supermarkets today.
We paid 1.78 for our diesel in France. All our local supermarkets were within a cent if each other. Independent ones were dearer down there. In Rouen we used a Total station (mentioned elsewhere) and it was 1.80 (which given exchange rate makes it cheaper than the UK).

I think with power tool batteries they like being used. If just left they degrade. I usually leave mine in the charger when not in use. So far 6 years down the line no issues (Ryobi ones too).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

View attachment 76211
I’ve noticed little black bollards cropping up on residential streets with EV charging and a white box painted on the road for “Electric Vehicle” - usually just one on a street of 30+ cars
If you were to injure yourself by tripping on an uneven paving stone you are within your rights to make a claim against the council. I wonder if this particular individual has even thought about that :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
So how many will be allowed on any given street ??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So how many will be allowed on any given street ??
That’s an interesting question… and if it’s out outside your house and you don’t have an EV… you will have to park further away.
What if they make the whole street EV only parking…

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom