Electric window fault - W210

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Well looks like the old girl is going to keep me busy this weekend.

Working away in Preston and whilst on my way back to the B&B the rear window wouldn't do anything other than make horrendous clacking noises before getting stuck half open.

Took off the door trim and had a look see. It would appear that the cable has become trapped in the motor some how. I wasn't able to release it nor thread it back onto the pulleys to hold the glass up. Instead some logs from the landlady's wood pile have been used to prop the glass up.

So having read the DIY thread on repairing the regulator for a C class I'm wondering whether I could do the same for my 210.

Do people think that just replacing the cables would work? Should I lubricate anything whilst I'm at it?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as far as im aware you cant but the cables seperately. in fact when i had a problem with a window motor giving up on my w202 the stealer said it came as a complete unit. motor, mechanism/cables the lot! cant hurt to take it apart and try to sort it though. if its not working now, you can make it worse, really! id lubricate any wheels, pivots, rollers etc in the mechanism personally. again, it cant harm anything!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
hey im starting to get good at this!..................occasionally!:shock::shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
hey im starting to get good at this!..................occasionally!:shock::shock::shock::lol::lol::lol:

You have been giving good answers all day long, thats what I think, and its good,, the more that answer the more confidence the OP gets

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Just to make you awar that the window regulator is rivetted in and have to drilled out to remove it.

OP
B

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Hi,
Just to make you awar that the window regulator is rivetted in and have to drilled out to remove it.

Yes I noticed that, but shouldn't be a problem. I suspect that MB have used some special rivets, fit enough to hold up the Forth Road bridge, but I'm hoping that my selection of pop rivets will suffice.

I'm also wondering whether to try and source a replacement regulator, without the motor, as the cable may have damaged the plastic pulleys when it was pulled off.

I shall keep you all posted and take some pictures when I do the work as the C class thread in the DIY doesn't have any.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
I believe Euro's can get window regulators, and they would be quite a bit cheaper than MB.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Hi,
I believe Euro's can get window regulators, and they would be quite a bit cheaper than MB.

You are indeed right and genuine MB - at least mine was last year, about £50ish for the complete unit less the motor/gear box of course. I purchased the same item for the N/S rear two years ago from MB and it cost around £58 including the rivets.

It is easy to fit and whilst you are about it spray some silicon lube on the lower part of the window guides.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I shall keep you all posted and take some pictures when I do the work as the C class thread in the DIY doesn't have any.

Your not looking at this one Chris… http://homepage.eircom.net/~decdec/myweb2/new_page_1.htm …it also deals with the cable.

Best way to deal with the fault is to remove the whole regulator, securely prop up the glass, leave the door card off, this will allow you to repair or replace the unit in your own time.

Dec

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom