Electronic hand brake caused damaged to Bakes

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
So are they saying that you should never go on holiday if you buy a Merc?

(Because if you park it up at the airport for 2 weeks, you’ll need a tow truck to get it home!)

Sorry but this is absolute cobblers, ask them to put that reason in writing.

I’d ask to speak to the dealer principal, and state that the car has faulty brakes, that you have been told there is a design fault in the braking system, and you want your money back for placing you in a known dangerous car. (brake design).

Tell him that you will accept a complimentary repair.

(I park my car at the airport for 3 to 6 days at a time at Heathrow, I’ve never, ever, had an issue with the brakes jamming onto the discs.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So are they saying that you should never go on holiday if you buy a Merc?

(Because if you park it up at the airport for 2 weeks, you’ll need a tow truck to get it home!)

Sorry but this is absolute cobblers, ask them to put that reason in writing.

I’d ask to speak to the dealer principal, and state that the car has faulty brakes, that you have been told there is a design fault in the braking system, and you want your money back for placing you in a known dangerous car. (brake design).

Tell him that you will accept a complimentary repair.

(I park my car at the airport for 3 to 6 days at a time at Heathrow, I’ve never, ever, had an issue with the brakes jamming onto the discs.
Several of us park their cars up over the winter with no issues..

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Having rust on the discs have given mb a get out clause.
Those two piece discs are fragile, instructions with new discs state you have to handle them a certain way, replace if dropped and to push the Caliper piston back a certain way.
I feel your pain but I think it’s going to be a hard fight.

new discs FRIGILE!! given what they are EXPECTED to do that seems a contradiction ,at least as far as the customer is concerned .

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
when i get my sl or clk out for the spring summer , i go down the road with gentle pressure on the brake ,on the way back i have one good hard braking effort, and so far i have had no issues after parkuing the car for up to3/5 months . sure someone will say thats wrong ,? works for me.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
new discs FRIGILE!! given what they are EXPECTED to do that seems a contradiction ,at least as far as the customer is concerned .
We don’t make them, We just repair them and this is from instructions that come in the box of new discs. I’m saying the rust lines on the discs could set off a judder. Perhaps mercs should make their discs from different materials.

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
They have said the damage in the picture is the result of the hand brake. It automatically apply when you turn the car off. To have it parked for a few days and it do damage is a little bit of a poor design choice if you ask me.

Is that really true? I've never had a car that automatically applied the handbrake. To lock the transmission in "Park" yes, but not to apply the handbrake.

That doesn't change the issue here though, that parking brakes are for parking and most likely the handbook says it should be applied when parking.

As it happens I rarely use the parking brake because I leave my cars for long periods unused, but that's another matter.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Is that really true? I've never had a car that automatically applied the handbrake. To lock the transmission in "Park" yes, but not to apply the handbrake.

That doesn't change the issue here though, that parking brakes are for parking and most likely the handbook says it should be applied when parking.

As it happens I rarely use the parking brake because I leave my cars for long periods unused, but that's another matter.
And if the car automatically applies the parking brake (as electronic ones do) then there is no possibility it's user error as the user has no choice or input .

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It not the handbrake or its operation, i think it’s the rust on the discs that mb are refusing the warranty.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

Yes, most of the newer ones now have this system. My E Class does it and I've not found a work around for it yet.

I have no option but to leave mine with the parking brake applied. It's now been parked up for nearly 3 weeks and, apart from the obligatory starter battery wanting charging, I have no problem with it. It does give a little "judder" when it's initially moved after being parked for a while, though nothing more serious than that.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I am really unimpressed with the attitude of its a definite no no from warranty. You spend money and expect quality etc... unless I am going mad.

It's crap really - in the US GM now fits rust-resistant discs to many models due to complaints from customers. So it can be done.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We don’t make them, We just repair them and this is from instructions that come in the box of new discs. I’m saying the rust lines on the discs could set off a judder. Perhaps mercs should make their discs from different materials.

yr point understood ,and yes they should be made of decent material, not "plastic" metal. i think op should run around with foot on brake for a while, giving due regard on avoiding excess overheating ,and see if there is any improvement.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And if the car automatically applies the parking brake (as electronic ones do) then there is no possibility it's user error as the user has no choice or input .

lk. exactly!!! but its a crxp idea anyway .re inventing something that was simple/cheap and effective in design. more blxxxy gimmicks.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Have MB checked the disc runout on the front discs , because as has been said judder in the steering isn't from the rear discs ?

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Yes, most of the newer ones now have this system. My E Class does it and I've not found a work around for it yet.

Well, I never knew that :(.

Can you not then release the (presumably electronic) handbrake with ignition on but engine off, or does it just reset?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I seem to recall from somewhere that the parkingp brake operates once P is selected.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I seem to recall from somewhere that the parkingp brake operates once P is selected.
This is lifted directly from my online manual:
“The electric parking brake is automatically applied when the transmission is in position P and:
  • the engine is switched off or
  • the driver is not wearing a seat belt and the driver's door is opened
To prevent the electric parking brake from being applied automatically, pull handle 1”

There has to be some sort of override otherwise the car could not be pushed or loaded onto a transporter, for example.

OP
M

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 C-class AMG Line Premium Plus 220d 9spd auto
So latest development as if today.... it's nothing to do with the parking brake. It is related to where the car has been parked after use and it's been raining causing surface corrosion and fusing of disks to pads.

Now according to my dealer after some chat, all there used cars etc on their forecourt suffer the same problem! Clearly identifying it's a design problem not a user created problem.

There has been no offer for skimming of disks or anything like that. I have to pay for it.

The service manager is due to call me today to discuss the matter...

I am loving the rest of the car. But I am getting the bitter taste of displeasure toward it toward the poor build quality.

Again as always thanks all.

I will keep you all posted.

Collection forecast Saturday so we shall see...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is lifted directly from my online manual:
“The electric parking brake is automatically applied when the transmission is in position P and:
  • the engine is switched off or
  • the driver is not wearing a seat belt and the driver's door is opened
To prevent the electric parking brake from being applied automatically, pull handle 1”

There has to be some sort of override otherwise the car could not be pushed or loaded onto a transporter, for example.
That ties in with what I recall. Mind you if it's in P it's not going to be easy to push or load onto a low loader anyway!

OP
M

Mr Jack F Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 C-class AMG Line Premium Plus 220d 9spd auto
I really don't think it's the hand/parking brake as you all say it's connected directly to the rear axle using different brake shoes.

The damage is the same on all four disks and it's caused the excess deteriation of the pads and probably the disks.

I understand about materials and I would have a proper look myself at the disks but they won't let me in the workshop to inspect them myself due to H^S and I don't have a set of jacks to do it.

I am not buying new pads and if I really must it will go to DEFRA and I'll give the ****** thing back.

Brakes are a fundamental component of a car keeping you alive. Duff brakes = grease stain on the road should the worst occur.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom