Embarrassed: stuck bulb!

E

EekoGeek

I can't get the driver's side front sidelight bulb out on my w210 E300TD estate. I've changed almost all other types of bulbs on the beast over the past 18 months:( so I'm not (normally) a TOTAL klutz .... but this has me stumped.
I've got the case off and I've moved the ?? hose out the way so I've got a pretty good grip on it. The handbook says it just pulls out. I've exerted as much force on the 12 year old plastic as feels safe, given it a wiggle and a twist ... but no joy. As far as I can see (from the back) there doesn't seem to be anything broken or corroded.
A quick search here talked about locking tabs .... am I missing something obvious??
Please help!
Embarrassed of Hastings

OP
E

EekoGeek

Ok, so I'm still stuck..... and now both front side lights don't work. :Oops:
I thought I would try taking out the passenger side to see how the mechanism worked. I failed. So I gave up, popped the covers back on etc(the wires were stilll intact), tried switching the lights on and now neither front side light works. Doh!

OP
E

EekoGeek

Thanks bigbear. I will wait for daylight and then try twisting with more confidence and vigour. Reading around other forums I encountered a couple of other descriptions of hours spent and of stuck and/or brittle holders. I also eventually found another post recommending an anticlockwise turn. Will report back when I am successful and hopefully spare others similar humiliation.

OP
E

EekoGeek

OK - so can confirm that 90 anticlockwise turn is required, contrary to instructions in handbook. Both sides required a spanner on the flimsy plastic bulbholder - at least I couldn't muster enough finger strength. The driver's side was absolutely stuck and I eventually cracked the bulbholder in the process. Now bodged back together with a bit of insulating tape. All very aggravating and not a triumph for MB/Hella engineering.
And why £5 halogen bulbs for a sidelight giving off as much light as a kid's torch?????

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom