Engine cut out in motion P00087. E Class E350

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E Class E350 CDI Sport 2013 / CLK 200 Kompressor
Hi all,

Weirdest problem this evening. My engine just cut out at low speed luckily. Eng light flashed on and then off. Would not start but turned over. I had my ODBII adapter in the car and I pulled out a P00087 code. I reset it and initially it did not start. Few minutes later it fired up and I managed to get home.

Sadly its one of those scary breakdowns that kill the engine and power steering and braking efficiency.

I am worried to drive again unless I can work out diagnostic.

I was at low speed because I was going over speed bumps (sleeping policeman). Did I knock out the fuel pump or something or does anyone have any ideas? Air in fuel?

It had a new fuel filter about 6K ago but its been sat in a dealer for 6 months.

Thats about as much as I can tell you.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
So this code is fuel system related as you probably know...
Clogged filter (but you say it’s been changed right? Still worth checking)
Fuel pump?
Fuel line leaking (can you see anything)
Injectors failing possibly
This is the front end diagnostic though, so it needs to go on STAR to pinpoint which of those (or something I’ve missed) it is...

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
It sounds like something has caused the pressure in the common rail to drop, when this happens the ECU will shut down the engine without much warning as you have described, can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, as above its often a HP fuel pump or injector fault.

OP
Stu Evans

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It sounds like something has caused the pressure in the common rail to drop, when this happens the ECU will shut down the engine without much warning as you have described, can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, as above its often a HP fuel pump or injector fault.
It's not done it since. The trouble with this type of failure is it happens only on the road so not much time to investigate.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OP
Stu Evans

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well today its done it again. Same code. Same distance traveled before cut out. This time I was a bit more concious of the factors. When I turned the key I heard an air/liquid gurgle sound. This came from the back behind me. There must be some air getting in to the fuel. Guess we have to start digging around the tank and pump. Any last thoughts on the sound?

OP
Stu Evans

Stu Evans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom