Engine cut out

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I thought it was all going too well, ML270 has run for nearly six months without a problem, Then.......
Going home last night, was going round a bend at about 25mph, foot off throttle, and suddenly, no steering, or very heavy, looked down and all lights on dash on, no power steering as engine had stalled. Drifted over to curb, shifted into park, turned key and it started, drove home.
This exactly same thing happened about a year ago. This time i have read and logged the fault codes..
B1704-004
Transponder:error when writing programmable code
B1703-000
The transponder cannot be read
B1858-002
Radio signal:freeze code normal, but variable code not synchronization
P1354-000
The fault code is not found.

All codes were stored and have deleted, a 2nd check confirmed none returned.
Can any one make any sense of this for me?.

Cheers

PS: its a long time since having the scanner connected, so not all may relate to this issue.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I thought B1858 was alarm related from my memory depths ?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I thought it was all going too well, ML270 has run for nearly six months without a problem, Then.......
Going home last night, was going round a bend at about 25mph, foot off throttle, and suddenly, no steering, or very heavy, looked down and all lights on dash on, no power steering as engine had stalled. Drifted over to curb, shifted into park, turned key and it started, drove home.
This exactly same thing happened about a year ago. This time i have read and logged the fault codes..
B1704-004
Transponder:error when writing programmable code
B1703-000
The transponder cannot be read
B1858-002
Radio signal:freeze code normal, but variable code not synchronization
P1354-000
The fault code is not found.

All codes were stored and have deleted, a 2nd check confirmed none returned.
Can any one make any sense of this for me?.

Cheers

PS: its a long time since having the scanner connected, so not all may relate to this issue.

B1703 Intermittant No Start in AAM Immobiliser Module
P1354 deflexion angle between camshaft and crankshaft
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft Frequency of camshaft signal is too high.
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft Main injection correction is faulty.
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft No camshaft signal.
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft No crankshaft signal.
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft Plausibility
P1354 Synchronization between crankshaft and camshaft The flow limiter has been activated.
At a guess you may have an immobiliser on the blink cutting the engine and loosing the crank and cam signals. Or you have a faulty sensor. always difficult with an intermittent fault may have to have a session on star.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Ok, I am thinking it could be an mobilizer fault, and due to the prompt cut out it has upset the sensors, so throwing a red herring.
Is the transponder the thing round the ignition area or the bit in the key fob.
The key is quite knackered in so much it does not lock, and sometimes over a bump will drop the body to right angle with the blade.
I have a new case, just reluctant to swap them over as every time i touch something electrical on the car it goes wrong.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
sorry, forgot to say thanks

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Ok, I am thinking it could be an mobilizer fault, and due to the prompt cut out it has upset the sensors, so throwing a red herring.
Is the transponder the thing round the ignition area or the bit in the key fob.
The key is quite knackered in so much it does not lock, and sometimes over a bump will drop the body to right angle with the blade.
I have a new case, just reluctant to swap them over as every time i touch something electrical on the car it goes wrong.
Could well be your problem as well, if the key is breaking contact. If you don't have a second key then it's simple enough to swap over, look at the Youtube videos and that would be one possibility obviated.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could well be your problem as well, if the key is breaking contact. If you don't have a second key then it's simple enough to swap over, look at the Youtube videos and that would be one possibility obviated.
We had an ML on here years ago that would cut out because of the key - owner had a lot of weight on the key ring pulling the key down. He took the other keys off and no issues since.

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Just throwing it out there but I had exactly the same symptoms twice - it almost seems like I wrote it. Some members here suggested it was the crankshaft position sensor failing but unfortunately before I could replace it, the car got hit by another driver and written off whilst it was parked stranded at the side of the road so I never got to fix it :(

Anyways, ignore me and follow the suggestion of replacing the key case. It's cheap and easy to do armed with Youtube and delicate hands.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well , if it is the crankshaft position sensor , it's only £30-40 . (A Star session or MB specific code reader like icarsoft may pin it down .
Good luck with it all

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom