Engine Management Light stay on

newusermb

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new in this forum. I have just bought a second hand mercedez benz C-class 1.8 compressor (W203) few month ago. I got a problem on engine management light (eml) where is will stay on when engine is running.Prior to the eml stay on when engine is running, there is a bit of vibration during starting and it was suspected due to cylinder misfire.Even a new cylinder coil has been replaced and some part of the sensor has been cleaned from oil leaked due to magnet cam shaft few weeks ago, the eml is still stay on. Now the problem might be due to the knock sensor or coil injector as mentioned by certified mechanic in my local place yesterday. Could anyone share experiences or advices to help me regarding this problem?

Thank you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,, your troubles could well be the cam adjust magnet plug leaking,, pull the plug off right at the top of the front of the engine and see if it is oily

Please post back and tell us

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
can you identify your engine, we are assuming it is the 111 (silver cover with red central panel). it could well be the O2 sensor that has been damaged by the oil - very common if you have had that scenario, and you need a special piece of wiring fitting to the magnet.

type49

Reaction score
C180 Komp will prob be the 271 engine. Could just be a split breather hose near front of supercharger. Not easy to see :( but cheap to fix:D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hard to know type49, is the 271 also prone to oil in the loom from one of the magnets? i thought that was just the 111.

if it is the 271 there are several other possibilities, including the breather pipe as you say. some of these 271s have known valve seat problems for starters! and there have been a couple on here with skipped timing lately...

type49

Reaction score
271 doesnt suffer from oil in loom (although I have seen one). Would be worth checking compressions & timing as well. Wrong valve timing is rare & only seen it on 120000+ with under-serviced cars. Chain stretches & jumps. Easy to detect via "actual values" on Star.

OP
N

newusermb

Reaction score
Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. My engine is the 111 type. The certified mechanic has just replaced the new knock sensor. So far the engine management light has dissapeared. If it comes back again, it would be another problem - coil injector, as mentioned by the mechanic.

Hoping for a better life.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. My engine is the 111 type. The certified mechanic has just replaced the new knock sensor. So far the engine management light has dissapeared. If it comes back again, it would be another problem - coil injector, as mentioned by the mechanic.

Hoping for a better life.

It may not come back on again with luck,,the often do not :D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
although this would be the first knock sensor fault i have known on the 111....

OP
N

newusermb

Reaction score
Hi there,

My problem regarding eml is come back again. Although the knock sensor has been replaced, a hard vibration during starting in ther morning made the eml stay on since yersteday. I have no idea till now, but the vehicle has been sent back to find the faulty. Any help from you..:(

laurence whelan

New Registration
Reaction score
I own a 2001 CLK 230 Kompressor automatic. the yellow engine management light has been on for six months. whenit was serviced it was turned off but cam on again two weeks later.

Any help is appreciated.

MB-Car-Tech

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 230K - SOLD now running E320T CDI
Laurence,

It needs to be connected to STAR Diagnostic machine and see what code is shown.

Could be many things , but I would suspect one of them is a fault with the air mass sensor and it is contaminated with engine oil. Also a secondary air injection code could be stored. I am assumind the car still runs and accelerates OK ???

These engines also suffered from engine oil getting back to the Engine ECU and this can cause all sorts of codes.

Not great news but need a fault code to start eliminating

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi.i would check the ecu i think you find it full of oil.need replace loom and ecu replaced or cleaned might work.it in fuse box on driver side under bonnet

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
newusermb, we would love to help, but you give us little detail and no fault codes, any chance of a bit more info please? i suspect from what you have told us that the mechanic working on your car is struggling, he may change many parts, telling you each was faulty! where are you based?

OP
N

newusermb

Reaction score
dear alexander patient, i live in sheffield. So far i didn't have any detail fault codes. But got a piece of receipt containing short report what has been done. Another thing is, there is always a splash of coolant on top on the reservoir body. It will always happen when i drive in buzy traffic. Each morning, before start, there is a pressure sound release as I opon the coolant resesevoir cap.

Feel unhappy:(

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you have pressure in the cooling system when it is stone cold, that is not good. it suggests very strongly that there is failure of combustion sealing at the head gasket, pressurizing the coolant. in short, your head gasket has gone. this could easily explain the rough idling when starting and the eml light. two questions, are you aware of the coolant fill level and are you having to top it up at all?

OP
N

newusermb

Reaction score
2 days ago, i sent back my car to the certified mechanic.He had made make the star diagnostic. There is no problem as he claimed. Regarding the eml, he swapped 2 spark plugs as well as cylinder coils for. Then the eml gone. Regarding the coolant, he claimed that there was no problem on the cooling system. But today, i found the eml came back. Regarding the coolant, i saw some splashes around the top of reservoir lately seems i was driving in city area with a slow movement due to wet weather. I found that i have to take care of coolant level if there is frequent use of that vehicle in the busy traffic.

The mechanic had never mentions about any leaks verbally or in the report since i sent my car for checking 3,4 times before.

A bit confuse and worry is..if there was a possible leak due to the 2 symtoms as i explained to him, why the certified mechanic did not mention to me...

OP
N

newusermb

Reaction score
Seems that service B for my vehicle is due for about 200 mile from now, is it okay to proceed service B and see what is going on ?

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Had same EML fault on my non turbo 111 engine. Turned out fault was the front O2 sensor and also oil in the wiring loom, although the ECU was ok with no oil present. Fitted the wiring mod to the camshaft sensor and a new camshaft sensor along with a new O2 sensor. Now been ok for the last 6 months + and at least 3k miles.

Top Bottom