Engine Management Warning Light

fariesfarhan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 kompressor/2003/1.8L
Hi.

I got my engine management warning light on after a sudden vibration experienced by the engine. I called AA and I was asked to drive to the nearest garage and got it checked. It was found that the injector was coked up with unburned fuel. Two options were given, either to clean it using burn-off process or replace all the injectors with new ones which is expensive to me. I proceeded with the first option. My car went well on the road until today, the engine was vibrating excessively on idle. Power went down a bit and management warning light came on. Have any of you experienced this kind of problem? Help me please. I'm new with this. Thank you.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I take it that this is a petrol engined car?

The injectors shouldn't really coke up, unless there are more issues here.

Have you removed and checked the spark plugs to see what is going on in the engine?

Quite common on some Kompressors for oil breathers to block, causing more oil to enter the inlet and be burned during the combustion cycle, than there should be. This will show itself as an orange/brown build up on the plugs.

As the injectors are in the inlet pathway, they'll get covered with any excess oil that passes.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Did the garage check for stored fault codes?
I would be surprised if it were an injector fault!
Far more common on this engine are valve sealing (and ignition coil) problems giving rise to missfiring - the symptom you describe.

OP
F

fariesfarhan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I went to the garage this afternoon. My car was referred to the nearest Mercedes Benz centre and they found that the valve seat was damaged. According to the chap working in the garage, I need to change the valve seat for cylinder number 1 and the valve seat doesn't come in one. It is together with the cylinder head which will cause me about 4K, almost the same as the car price. Nonsense for me. Is there any other way to deal with this? Maybe valve seat refaced or any 2nd hand valve seat that I can get?

OP
F

fariesfarhan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep. This is a petrol engined car. Spark plugs appeared to be fine. Nothing being mentioned about the oil breathers.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, a good machine shop can reface all the valves and seats, as long as the guide wear is OK.
Find the right garage, and it might cost 1/4 the price you mention above.

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
Has alex common fault see quite often. not bad to do or cost.

OP
F

fariesfarhan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can I still drive my car under this condition? Is it going to cause damage to the other components as well? Because hot gases is coming out from the cylinder during combustion stroke, and something bad may happen to the catalytic converter down the exhaust pipe. That is what I thought.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes and no.
Whilst yes, some hot gasses will escape when running, this will not happen for long.
The vibration you noticed? That was the engine management shutting down the relevent cylinder - no fuel being injected. It does this as a means to protect the catalytic convertor from the very scenario you imagine.
However, a stitch in time saves nine, and none of us can really suggest that you continue to use the car indefinately before gettting it fixed.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As I said on the phone, you really just need to get the head to a machine shop, they can usually reface valves and seats, and fit guides if needed.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom