Engine problems after service

Celticbaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 Sprinter
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long winded post but hoping somebody could shed some light on the issues I’m experiencing with a 2015 LWB Sprinter here in the UK using the info provided below.

Van is 3.5T 313 CDI, RWD B906, 2143cc 95KW 129HP OM 651.940;OM 651.955. For some context it is a former UPS van so well looked after. Owned it for about 18 months (bought direct from them) and has been running great during that time. Had a few minor jobs done during that time.

The problems here seemed to have arisen immediately after having the van recently serviced. At first, I was told over the phone this would be a major service due with mileage sitting at 94k, but this then changed to just a standard service after review by the garage.

This is what I was told would be carried out in a booking email.

£90.00 oil (special oil for the vehicle)
£13.00 sundries
£6.68 oil filter
£14.58 air filter
£12.96 pollen filter
£72.00 labour
£50.00 fuel filter

Van was serviced approx 3 months ago and has been largely parked up since and only been out for 3-4 very short 5 minute journeys during that time so no obvious or immediate signs of issues. Last week, the first lengthy drive the van went out on since the service (about 45 mins) and the problems began. The first warning I got was the “Engine oil level - Reduce oil level” red warning on the dash that came up as I neared my destination. Shortly after the van started spluttering, jerking (doing about 30mph at time) then the rev counter went haywire up to about 3-4000 without having foot on the gas. Other warnings then immediately appeared on the dash at this time. Visit workshop, ABS, ESP & Traction Control.

I pulled over but the breaks were also strangely unresponsive (felt like breaking on ice) during this whole episode. A roadside technician attended soon after. Oil level was checked via dipstick and this confirmed it was too high. Hard to say exactly but looked 4-5mm above max level. The oil was then drained via the sump at the roadside until the level reached the midway point between min/max. We then took it round the block and the episode happened again. Technician was stumped, spent about 40 minutes looking it over and then followed me home. Strangely, the van did not have the same episode once during my drive home.

Since then I contacted the garage who did the service to explain what had happened, mentioning all the symptoms and oil level being too high following the service - which was witnessed by two people. I got a very frosty response where they asked for photographic evidence of the oil level being too high (given I had a witness, a very strange request I thought and I didn’t have this) so I decided not to take it back to them and go elsewhere for some independent diagnostics. Not sure if it’s relevant or worth mentioning but the only difference with the vehicle since it left the service garage and did 3-4 initial short journeys was that on the day of my long drive I filled the fuel tank to max.

It has since been to a recommended mechanic here in Ayrshire, Scotland. A chap who worked for Mercedes for 10 years+ but he has been unable to determine exactly what is going on or what might have caused this. Bizarrely no warnings appeared on the dash on the drive over to him, about 15 minutes. His diagnostic machine showed it needing a rear ABS sensor and the only other thing was that when checking the injectors he said that the readings for all 4 were all over the place (his words). He was certain that there was fuel in the oil (causing level to rise) and thinks that the injectors may not be regulating fuel flow correctly. He thinks they are leaking inside (not outside) if that makes sense. He also commented that the oil looked strangely clear and questioned whether the service garage had put in the correct oil (how could I find out or prove this is the case without involving the original service garage? He recommended I take it to another garage here in Ayrshire that deals with commercial vehicles (not Mercedes-Benz dealer).

He advised that he had one injector acting similarly in his own Mercedes Vito van and he wasn’t overly concerned by this as his van was running fine. He said the van would be OK to drive short distances but just to watch it and take it to the next garage as soon as possible. I have booked it in, but foolishly took the van out for another drive out of necessity for work the next day - a drive of around 20-30 minutes. Not a particularly warm day but the exact same episode as the original happened again, ABS, EPS on dash, spluttering and rev counter going wild until I either change the gear, hit accelerator even more or stop.

Oil level warning seems to have disappeared since the very first episode and it was drained but the engine is still having the same problems. Also worth mentioning as I have been asked this question a few times, no smoke from exhaust at all throughout this time. No smells or noises from the engine either. Other suggestions have been that the turbo may be gone. Van has felt sluggish since this all started. Problems definitely seem to arise once the engine reaches a certain temperature - longer drives.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be very welcome as it all seems very strange and coincidental that it has occurred immediately after this service when it had been running great up until then.

Van is being taken to this next recommended garage tomorrow, so will update when I know more.

Thanks
Barry

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Charge battery up first preferably overnight at least.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It sounds like a failing injector leaking fuel into the oil diluting it, hence why the level rises and why the oil is clearer than expected. It you sniff the oil it may smell of diesel.

Don't drive it like that or you could suffer diesel runaway which will destroy the engine.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
It was August but I wonder if a compression test has been carried out.
For that amount of fuel to get into the oil the engine would be in a bad way.

I wondered if the excess oil had fed through the turbo via the PCV, we don't know what the overfill level was as it may have already burned some off during its over revved running. But this points to the pressure passing the pistons, or oil passing the turbo seals.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
I see the OP has had a go on all the MB forums with the same post and little response anywhere but he did update elsewhere mid Sept he'd replaced the rear ABS sensors and that the engine fault had happened again so he would take it to Mercedes.

For what it's worth I'd say the original service is unrelated to the fault and the clue lies in the guy who said "the injectors were all over the place".

Had he stuck around on here I think we'd soon be advising a decent Indy in the Glasgow area.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes on rereading the immediately turned into at least 3 months later.

A timeline would have been illuminating.

As we all know parking a car up for months can sometimes lead to a number of problems, some of which clear themselves.

As said above injectors "all over the place" won't help some issues.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Injectors are definitely the clue. It can't be turbo as there is no way a turbo can cause oil levels to rise. Also the oil being 'clearer than expected' suggests diesel contamination of the oil.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Sprinter 316 LWB
I have the reduce oil level message as well, it is over the max level on the dipstick. Will give it a service and keep an eye on it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not guaranteed to be. If the oil level is rising something is causing it. The only two options are water or diesel.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Sprinter 316 LWB
Okay. I'll checknit tomorrow for any signs of either. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Sprinter 316 LWB
I've checked my oil, doesn't smell of diesel and no signs of water. Will be giving it an oil service this weekend, so hopefully it'll be back to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Sprinter 316 LWB
One thing I forgot to mention, when I got the message originally, I checked the engine bay and the dipstick was sticking out quite far and had caused oil to spray out, so maybe this had something to do with it, but still, I will service it all the same.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
One thing I forgot to mention, when I got the message originally, I checked the engine bay and the dipstick was sticking out quite far and had caused oil to spray out, so maybe this had something to do with it, but still, I will service it all the same.
If the crankcase is getting pressurised then the dipstick can be forced out... :(

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom