engine probs ?

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi, focus cc3 diesel
hi to all,

i am new to the forums and new to owning a merc.

i have just bought an e320cdi auto estate 02 reg. 187k

the car seems a little sluggish getting from 50mph to 70mph.
gear box seems to be working ok. engine is very quiet and smooth. also when stationary and you rev the engine i.e foot to the floor and hold it there it only gets to just over 3000rpm. i know big diesels dont rev as much as smaller engines is this right or is there a problem causing both of the above. car does not smoke when reved . i dont have the service history yet. so i dont know when it was last serviced. but to be on the safe side i have bought a full genuine mb service kit including gearbox filter oil is full synthetic. thanks simon

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The 320 is not the quickest of the line, unless you feel there is a real fault, see how it goes!

Welcome to the forums!

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 320 is not the quickest of the line, unless you feel there is a real fault, see how it goes!

Welcome to the forums!

i just thought it would rev out a bit more when staitionary. thanks for the welcome s-a-m. is there an introduction section on the forums or do you just get stuck in. cheers again simon

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Your have already started to post!

No more needs to be done!

luders79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 estate
When stationary it wont rev any more than that its a safety feature . Its a build in stationary rev limiter! If you want it checked out for piece of mind take it to an indy at get them to run a fault code check to see if theres any thing stored in computers!!!

Good luck and welcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be the MAF on the way out

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If it is only revving out to around 3000rpm then I think you do have a problem, most probably a dodgy MAF..air flow meter... The 320cdi should go like a scalded cat and pull a ton before slowing down slightly so the rear bumper can catch up...

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it is only revving out to around 3000rpm then I think you do have a problem, most probably a dodgy MAF..air flow meter... The 320cdi should go like a scalded cat and pull a ton before slowing down slightly so the rear bumper can catch up...

as luders stated, it will only rev to 3000rpm when staitionary this is a safty limiter. so this looks like my first problem is not a problem:cool:. i will give the maf sensor a clean. i think it should have more get up and go. apart from this i am very impressed with my new motor . out of intrest what would a maf sensor cost and where is the best place to get one, i forgot to say there are no malfunctions showing :(

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As has been said, 50 -70 should be quick - almost instantaneous. MAF will be £250 ish new but you may be able to get an insert for your model from a Bosch agent for maybe £60.
DONT BUY FROM EBAY - they give no end of problems. There may be no fault codes stored but a star diag macine should be able to compare the data from the MAF to what it should be showing.

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
my car has been in for for a check today (auto elite in hull), it turns out that the motor that operates the flaps in the inlet manifold is faulty. i have forgoten what the actual fault was called. was quoted £215 all in. which i thought was reasonable, booked in next thursday. i will update when i have the job done. cheers simon

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Inlet port shut of motor!

Thats ok swapping the motor, its more common for the shut of flaps breaking up in the manifold than the motor going u/s!

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Inlet port shut of motor!

Thats ok swapping the motor, its more common for the shut of flaps breaking up in the manifold than the motor going u/s!

yep thats it, i hope its just the motor.

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it turns out that 2 of the flaps are seized. not the motor. the car will have to back next week as we both had run out of time.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
That's the dearer of the two, your now wish it was the motor when you get the bill for the inlet manifold!!!!

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
with a bit of luck they might be able to free the two offending flaps. i was not charged for yesterday but the labour charge for next week will work out the same as if just fitting the motor as the manifold will have to come off . with the two flaps closed its effectivly running on 4 cylinders hence the lack of power. with this said on the short run to the garage less than 40mile round trip it still returned 39mpg and all systems seem to be functioning well apart from the cd player head unit, plays cds from the changer ok. i have also got the service history now. its had a fair amount done in the last couple of services including gearbox work and air con system work. so hopefully with this engine snag sorted it should good for a few more years. i will update next week. cheers simon

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
good news, bad news and more bad news.

good news is inlet port flaps freed off. bad news it needed a maf meter. more bad news, with all the new found power and boost it decieded to blow the intercooler on the way home from the garage.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
so much power, it couldnt contain itself!! nice!!! expensive, but nice all the same!

OP
littlemoon

littlemoon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i managed to get a second hand intercooler and had it fitted today. everything is back in order:cool:.

here is a list of jobs done and costs

cost of car £1500
intercooler+fitting £150
inlet port flaps and maf £260
tax £118
test £50
gnuine mb service kit +
front pads/sensors £78
oil, macro had some on
offer carlube full synth
2x5l @ £11.99 each £24

total £2130

still makes this a cheap motor with piece of mind

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom