Engine rough

pmerc

Reaction score
Went to York for long weekend in my S600l, drove up no problem.Yesterday when i started it up it felt lumpy & lie a tappet rattle? as i pulled off i was sat in traffic & everytime i went to accelerate off there was no power very slow.
i pulled into a layby & lifted the bonnet & all i could here was like a tappet rattle on the drivers side so turned off engine checked for any loose leads all was ok.
Started the engine up checked under bonnet again still rattle, stopped engine & thought about calling the AA. Said to the wife will try again first to see if we can drive on a bit & managed to drive home (170 miles) with no rattle or loss of power at all???
Is it possible there is an electrical problem to the one bank ie coil pack or relay of some sort sticking etc as i drove to work this morning & drives fine but at junctions at idle it does tickover as if missing a beat ?
Also would an electrical problem normally throw up an engine service light up as i have nothing??
Any ideas that i can look at myself guys? thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Possible MAF problem is one thing if no lamps on

OP
P

pmerc

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm,got mate coming up later going to plug in to see if any codes are up in the history

OP
P

pmerc

Reaction score
ok update plugged code reader in & i got a misfire von piston 2-7 & 11 oops
been told to check plugs first cos unusual for 2 coilpacks to break down same time??
has anyone got a diagram of the setup/circuit on an 02 V12 system?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Had several 600's with misfires, ranging from the coil end inserts tracking, lambda sensor, coil packs and even engine ecu.

OP
P

pmerc

Reaction score
thanks star will check it out over the weekend

OP
P

pmerc

Reaction score
ok update again
stripped all the coilpacks off & checked them ok
checked the plugs on the missfire banks & found one of the plugs loose & a bit of oil on
cleaned & checked all plugs tight
put all back together & started engine,still idling rough so drove to mate who put scanner on & cleared all codes (missfire on 3 pistons) & cleared the history & its been runnig fine ever since??
Cant even get the codes to reappear after driving about 50 miles so he said its electrically ok
the only thing i got now is a slight tappet rattle but the power is there & it idles lovely.
Very strange but then again electronics are & way out of my league

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Thats good news but I think it might re appear. :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom