Engine stall when in drive.

Big Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
280e Auto 1984
Hi All,

Just wondering if any members have any knowledge on my little problem.

Just picked up a 1984 280E Auto and love it but is has a few little niggles and quirks.

The main one that concerns me is when in Drive the engine revs drop a little when I'm at standstill. Not really an issue but when the old girl gets warmer this drop in revs increases and is enough to stall the engine. Pop it into neutral and engine ticks over sweet as the day she was born.

Any ideas fellow Merc Fans?

Thanks in advance all and safe driving

Big Mac

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Tuning is key here! This is an old school m110 engine and you can start with the basics
Get someone who knows the car to have a look and he could have her running sweet as you like with a couple of minor adjustments

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom