Engine stalling when accelerating ... Pierburg 2E-E

msejensen

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190 2.0 1988
Hello, I have some problems with my Mercedes 190 2.0 1988 with Pierburg 2E-E carburator.

1. When I try to accelerate the engine stalls for a few seconds. Then all of sudden it accelerates. The behavior is worse when engine is cold and at low RPMs. When the engine is warm it it doesn't stall, but it will hesitate as I press the accelerator. The behavior is only present under load, doing the same thing with clutch down will not show any problems, it will gladly rev.

2. When driving on the highway at constant speed the engine will gradually lose power over a time of some few seconds. Then all of a sudden it will snap back with full (normal/expected) power. Then after a few seconds it will gradually start to loose power again. It will then go on like this and repeat the cycle.

I suspect the second issue is related to the first, but I have no clue what the problem may be. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, your fault could be fuel starvation, blocked fuel filter or poor pump.

Välkommen :D

See what others think

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
1) Check the ignition HT system

2) Check that the cold / warm air intake is working properly

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
Make sure you don't have any air leaks (vacuum leaks in other words) anywhere between the carb and the engine. This could be at the faces between the carb and the manifold or between the manifold and the head, or on vacuum hoses, of which there are hundreds. But an air leak would cause a stumbling idle (called hunting, the engine speed cycles between very low and well above idle a couple of times a minute)

The other thing to check is the accelerator pump. That's the pump that squirts fuel into the throat of the carb when the throttle is opened. The acc pump is most often the cause of the stalling you describe.

As for the fluctuation in power at constant speed, I have an idea that that may also be from the carburettor, from the power valve.

The acc pump diaphragm is numbered "G" on the diagram below. It should pump a squirt of fuel through the unnumbered little pipe in the top of the smaller venturi while the throttle is opened.

Attachments

• pierburg_2e3.jpg
    pierburg_2e3.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 71
Top Bottom