Engine Start Not Possible / EML on

ad.afzal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 D 2017 Diesel
Hi I have bought this used car (2017 C200D Diesel) from Arnold Clark last year. It has been 14 months now and has ben driven only 33k miles including the previous owners mileage of 20K. I already have issues of EML 2-3 times. Car is not in extended warranty but have couple of service covers. Last time when i had EML, i took it to dealer from where i bought and they said it was an issue with EGR valve and they fixed it but got the same issue again after few months and took it back to them and had a fight with them to waive off the diagnosis fee, eventuallt the fault was again with EGR valve and they said they have changed it this time from Merc.

Couple of weeks back, I got EML sign again and also check ADblue sign, thought would be ad blue problem and topped up with 8 ltr of Adblue, when try to check the level, it says "Fluid Level can't be measured". However, once I was driving on the highway, was able to see the level of Adblue to half tank with 3800 miles remaining, after coupe of days of initial issue, the ADblue warning changed to "engine start not possible after 490 miles" and i topped up again with 3 ltr of Adblue but it is keep on decreasing.

There was a software update over the air in the car just before this error started. Again had a fight with dealer and they are saying they will only cover the diagnnosis fee (booked in for 30th August) if it is related to EGR valve as it does not have extended warranty. The car is driving fine with no issues but it is just bothering me with this light on and counter of "engine Start not possible" going down. I need to go this weekend on a long route (around 2-3 hours once side drive) but now i am stuck with this issue.

Any recommendation or advice will be highly apprecciated.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Very common unfortunately... The AdBlue can crystallise if not used much which gums up the system and leads to the warning light. One owner on here has cleaned it out himself, MB tend to replace the whole AdBlue tank and pump for ££££'s

Please have a search on the forum as it's come up many times :(

OP
A

ad.afzal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 D 2017 Diesel
Hello and welcome,

Very common unfortunately... The AdBlue can crystallise if not used much which gums up the system and leads to the warning light. One owner on here has cleaned it out himself, MB tend to replace the whole AdBlue tank and pump for ££££'s

Please have a search on the forum as it's come up many times :(
Hi,

Thanks for the kind feedback, I have looked on this forum and saw a lot of people having this issue and as well as on other websites. It seems like a general issue with NOx Sensor as well and I am hoping that it is a recall for Merc. Fingers crossed till 30/08 to see what is it this time. :(

dmb

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200d st 2017
Hi I have bought this used car (2017 C200D Diesel) from Arnold Clark last year. It has been 14 months now and has ben driven only 33k miles including the previous owners mileage of 20K. I already have issues of EML 2-3 times. Car is not in extended warranty but have couple of service covers. Last time when i had EML, i took it to dealer from where i bought and they said it was an issue with EGR valve and they fixed it but got the same issue again after few months and took it back to them and had a fight with them to waive off the diagnosis fee, eventuallt the fault was again with EGR valve and they said they have changed it this time from Merc.

Couple of weeks back, I got EML sign again and also check ADblue sign, thought would be ad blue problem and topped up with 8 ltr of Adblue, when try to check the level, it says "Fluid Level can't be measured". However, once I was driving on the highway, was able to see the level of Adblue to half tank with 3800 miles remaining, after coupe of days of initial issue, the ADblue warning changed to "engine start not possible after 490 miles" and i topped up again with 3 ltr of Adblue but it is keep on decreasing.

There was a software update over the air in the car just before this error started. Again had a fight with dealer and they are saying they will only cover the diagnnosis fee (booked in for 30th August) if it is related to EGR valve as it does not have extended warranty. The car is driving fine with no issues but it is just bothering me with this light on and counter of "engine Start not possible" going down. I need to go this weekend on a long route (around 2-3 hours once side drive) but now i am stuck with this issue.

Any recommendation or advice will be highly apprecciated.
Can you post the solution adopted, was it fixed?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom