engine wont start after injector cleaner used

mark sutton

Reaction score
Hi All

Did some work on my Ml270 CDI today I got some AMC DIESEL INJECTOR TREATMENT SYSTEM CLEANER it said on the ebay site quote "Solvent based,Not an oil based product .engine will run on neat cleaner this product actually works unlike other available products".

It also said Quote "For best results use on low tank of fuel or replace fuel filter and fill it up with diesel cleaner"

So I changed the filter and filled it up with the cleaner, engine ran for about 3 mins sounded really bad like no oil it it then stopped and will not start again not even trying to fire, took pipe off injector neat diesel coming out tested for power to injectors and is ok.

Can now here a slight knocking for a black 3 pioted shaped cast iron thingy top front of the engine with some fuel pipes on it is this the liftt pump/fuel pump ????

Can anyone please help

dose anyone know of a mobile machanic near Amersham in Buckinghamshire

regards

Mark...

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
it sounds like your high pressure pump may well be deceased, this could also ruin the injectors if swarf from the failing pump has blocked them. also if this is the case the swarf could get into the whole fuel system including the tank.

i would re-read the instructions to make sure it claims to be suitable for your engine type and application method and contact the supplier.

why did you use the treatment? did you already have any engine problems/noises? this could cost a very great deal to put right, but do not panic there are other possibilities, i do fear the worst though.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Sounds to me A/P like the chaps got air in and you now what a piggy they are to bleed, a good crank might bleed it through!!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lets hope so. we use an airline operated vacuum tank thingy on the fuel return and it works like a charm, even bleeds the fuel rail, they usually start almost instantly after this.

doesn't really explain why there is air in if it ran ok for 3 mins. could be that iffy fuel filter screw cap though, my colleagues have had loads of fun with those, i recommend a little red grease on the threads to help get it up tight, obviously no grease allowed to get in the fuel system though

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Suggest you remove the filter cover and fill up with diesel, then try starting again, make sure the filter 'screw cap' rubber seal isnt fouling and is sitting properly, as suggested a rub of grease or even diesel fuel on the threads will make it easier to refit.. try cranking again for a few minutes..

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not oil based is not good for CDi engines. May well have trashed the pump.

quite right, thats the bit that gets destroyed when filled with petrol. and yes, they do run on petrol, for a while :eek:.

i wonder if, perhaps, the miracle product warned 'not for use with common rail diesels' or something?

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
it sounds like your high pressure pump may well be deceased, this could also ruin the injectors if swarf from the failing pump has blocked them. also if this is the case the swarf could get into the whole fuel system including the tank.

i would re-read the instructions to make sure it claims to be suitable for your engine type and application method and contact the supplier.

why did you use the treatment? did you already have any engine problems/noises? this could cost a very great deal to put right, but do not panic there are other possibilities, i do fear the worst though.

A little bit of research reveals that one droplet of water is enough to severely damage a modern fuel pump and diesel injector.
A full can of neat solvent,presumably with zero lubrication properties,I guess,would reduce them to scrap?

I have read the advert,I think.
It does indeed say one can fill the fuel filter with this product.
If it were thirty year old diesel technology,possibly OK.
Most manufacturers these days recommend the use of no fuel additives at all.

A friend of mine who had a small haulage company,finally had enough cash and treated himself to a brand new Saab diesel car.
He was disposing of one of his older lorries and drained the diesel tank into drums.
He couldn't bear to waste this fuel,so put some in the Saab.
Four new injectors and a fuel pump later plus some more bits and his fuel bill had risen by £6000.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have read the advert,I think.
It does indeed say one can fill the fuel filter with this product.
If it were thirty year old diesel technology,possibly OK.
Most manufacturers these days recommend the use of no fuel additives at all.........

Four new injectors and a fuel pump later plus some more bits and his fuel bill had risen by £6000.

my thoughts too, i wonder what disclaimers were on the bottle - 'only use with accordance to vehicle manufacturers recommendations' or something.

we had a nice late model w210 320cdi in a few months back. signs of red diesel in, which is fine, if a little illegal and immoral. but drops of water had inevitably entered the tank with the fuel, perhaps from some farmers external and no doubt rusty fuel tank. this water cost the customer about £2000 all in. rusty everything, including the high pressure pump which had splintered and done for the injectors. also a very rusty fuel rail and various other bits and bobs.

OP
M

mark sutton

Reaction score
Suggest you remove the filter cover and fill up with diesel, then try starting again, make sure the filter 'screw cap' rubber seal isnt fouling and is sitting properly, as suggested a rub of grease or even diesel fuel on the threads will make it easier to refit.. try cranking again for a few minutes..

Hi all

Thanks for all your replys.
I am now 90% sure it is the high pressure pump thats gone as we took one of the injector pipes of the common rail attached a bit of hose cranked it over and got some very weak pumps of diesel out definatly not 3.5 bar as a post on here said.
Going to get a mobile mechanic to pressure check the pump.
replacment bosch pump from euro car parts is £392 but you get £115 back when you take your old pump back so cost is £277 if you fit it your self and fingers crossed everything else is ok.

The only thing it says on the can is use as directed on technical specification sheet which i didn't get with the injector cleaner.

here is the web site of the makers of the injector cleaner http://www.advancedmc.co.uk/cleanerconditioner.asp

regards

Mark

Last edited:

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
As a matter of interest,here is the text from the advertisement.
I could only find it on foreign ebay sites,one Polish and one Malaysian,maybe I haven't looked far enough.
Not very well written and a couple of basic spelling mistakes(my highlights)
It would be interesting to know what,if anything else, is included in any enclosed instructions or printed on the bottle.
At least,if there are no caveats,it might be worth a sticky warning against its use.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

AMC DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER FOR DIESEL VEHICLES

AMC Fuel System Cleaner for Diesel Engines is a highly sophisticated package designed to quickly, thoroughly and safely clean your engines fuel system

Turns carbons, fats, acids and other contaminants into a harmless liquid form which is then burnt through the normal combustion process

Cleans entire fuel system in one application
Reduce valve and combustion chamber deposits and maintain EGR valve cleanliness

Solvent based,Not an oil based product. engine will run on neat cleaner this product actually works unlike other available products

A clean engine fuel system will run better,decrease harmful emissions and black smoke, and give you far lower fuel consumption.

For best results use on low tank of fuel or replace fuel filter and fill it up with diesel cleaner

Just empty the whole can into the fuel tank! (can has a ring pull lid)
For M.O.T emissions failures poor two cans in to fuel tank and drive at high revs for a couple of minutes (for best results use with low tank of fuel)
This product can not be purchased on the High Street it is used in garages as a high strength fuel cleaner and to help vehicles through there M.O.T

What benefits will customers notice?

Improved cold starting
Reduced exhaust smoke and emissions
Less sulphurous smells
Better fuel economy
Smoother running with reduction of flat spots

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Nick

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom