"Entrance Position - do not drive"

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting the above message repeatedly and, although all of the steering wheel motors are working ok, the wheel does not return to the exit position upon removing the key.

Pressing the drivers-side memory buttons moves the steering wheel in and out but not up and down.

I've tried the only two techniques I know in order to rectify the problem:

1) disconnecting the battery
2) moving the wheel up and down/in and out to its extremes

I've realised that the wheel will not move to the 'entrance' position (its uppermost limit) manually. also the up/down action does not work smoothly in one sweep but stops three or four times during its travel when the manual lever is depressed (requiring the lever to be pressed again in order to continue the motion).

If anyone has any remedial suggestions they would be really useful.

Why do these things always happen when you want to sell your car!?
Remind me not to purchase a Mercedes ever again...

Ian

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
These things can happen to any car,,But I will tell you,,in all of my post and time here, this has never come up before, so hardly a good reason to sell a good car. The motors have turn counters in them, and it is possible that this part has failed and does not know where it is at

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I guess the only option is to get the codes read off to see where the error might be

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I see this fault once, but never followed up the outcome, i belive it was the SCM, steering control module! that from memory was the cause!!

Autofix

Reaction score
Website
www.kaneautomotive.net
Your Mercedes
SL600
I saw this once too. On this one if you assisted the wheel movement by pulling it yourself either up or down, it went as far as it should and then no warning. I came to the conclusion it was stiff and the motors were not able to drive it. The garage I looked at it for took it away to strip the colum and I never heard anything more so i assume my diagnosis was correct.

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Thanks all...having had a short test carried out only two weeks ago, that would be another £30 just to find out where the fault was, also I have to sell the car before November so it's a case of either advertising it as it is and having to state that it's got this fault or spend bucket loads of money trying to get it resolved.

As an addendum, when I got in the car today, upon opening the drivers door, the wheel reset itself to the entry position but nothing happened when I put in the key.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Ian

robschoice1

Reaction score
Yes he could and that would solve it:D:D

This just came up on my car............. sat on drive not getting used much but battery `went flat

anyhoo, was a devil to get the charger to get life into it....................... after 2 to 3 hors on fast charge, started car and eventually got this big read warning Entrance positio do not drive

BUT !!! you cant alter the settings for convenience etc, when there is a big red message !!! or can you ?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
There is a code been lost in the front SAM, this is now a old but common fault now, SAM needs to be sorted on a star machine!

robschoice1

Reaction score
Battery is charged now but big red Warning is still there

I realised I could alter convenience settings prior to cranking, but turning them off seemed to make no differance

Q1 So are we saying its only STAR that can reset ?

Q2 If the steering wheel is clearly NOT in the entrance position is the car safe to drive round the corner ?

I will need to get it fixed as test us due early in new year

robschoice1

Reaction score
OK I have just reda this thread again..................... My symptoms mostly siilar to otheres experiance................... car not being used, battery loosing charge, recharge battery ................. and repeat the cycle. New bosch battery in now instaled on mostely on tricke charge................ but always there is the Rad Alert sign in centre of dash. Entry poosition do not drive..................... !!!

but drivers side seat is NOT doing its normal base move forward, and back when tilting the back of the seat

I have it booked into an independat for 2 weeks time and they have STAR

Q: What should they be looking at ?

Any comments appreciated

Top Bottom