EPC Driving Me Nuts 320 cdi 1999

easytiger

Reaction score
1999 320 cdi
Hi I wonder if anybody has had a similar fault to this and could help me out as I am running out of ideas. Twice the car has broken down when towing a caravan I suspect it's just the extra load on the engine. The EPC light comes on and the car will only idle with no throttle response at all. I plugged the car into my carsoft diagnostic and it tells me the Maf Sensor and throttle sender is faulty. I have replaced both of these items but no joy the car did run again for a while but as soon as I hook up the caravan the same problem comes back now the problem will not clear I tried the old parts back on as I suspect there is nothing wrong with them but still the same the car will only idle. I sent the ecu away for testing but has come back OK so now I am well and truly stuck. Can anybody help me in my quest.
Cheers :p:p;)

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Get it on a decent diag system for starters. Carsoft is ok but a Star is better.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Yes definately a star diagnosis is neeeded, The EPC would indicate a fuel problem, possible low fuel pressure in the fuel rail, I cant see the caravan having any adverse effect on the engine running.. Its possible that if you are running low on fuel the weight of the caravan may cause the fuel to splash around and cause fuel starvation to the pump..but just a thot..

One thing you could do is try some injector cleaner with the next fill up, if the Star doesnt show any faults..

Last edited:
OP
E

easytiger

Reaction score
epc nightmare

Thanks for that info I will check out the fuel pressure / filter to see what we have. The car has a full MB service history 170000 miles when I checked the air filter it was completely blocked so maybe the fuel filter is in a similar condition. I have not noted any rough running though and even now the car idles perfectly. I will probably have to go to the dreaded MB to get it checked out hardly seems worth while with all the expense to spend on a big old shed. I may turn the car into some trendy bar furniture if I have to spend much more cash.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom