EPC light on my w202 1997 c220 diesel

c220sport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 sport
Hi everyone, hope you can help me out. I have had my 1997 c220 diesel for about 3 years now, the problem with it is that when I go to start it and wait until the heater light goes out the car runs extremely bad and the EPC light stays on. The car won't take a rev when the epc light is on, however if I go to start the car and don't wait until the heater light goes out it is 100% drives normal until the engine heats up and then the EPC light would pop on and then the car will no longer take the rev and run extremely bad, It's got to the point that the car is no longer drive able. I was told by a friend that it could be a fault in the brain, but I'm hoping that it's something simpler and easy to fix but I am really stuck and need your help!

Many thanks,
Jason

Hario'

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Wagon OM606STD
EPC stands for engine power control and includes engine and gearbox and associated sensors, typically: throttle potentionmeter, MAP sensor, gearbox fault, crank position fault.

I have a similar issue, the EPC light came on and now the car will not start, it is not fuel/air leak related, so I don't know what to do apart from take it to a STAR diagnostic man.

OP
C

c220sport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 sport
Sorry Hario I am only getting back to you now. I really don't know we're to start, I have another ECU for the car as I was told it was a common fault in them? What I am just wondering now is the ECU just a plug and play? I also have got the new key barrel aswell.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
if the problem is fuel related, it be the electrical conection at either end of the high pressure fuel rail.

serjaine

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 d 1997
Hi everyone, hope you can help me out. I have had my 1997 c220 diesel for about 3 years now, the problem with it is that when I go to start it and wait until the heater light goes out the car runs extremely bad and the EPC light stays on. The car won't take a rev when the epc light is on, however if I go to start the car and don't wait until the heater light goes out it is 100% drives normal until the engine heats up and then the EPC light would pop on and then the car will no longer take the rev and run extremely bad, It's got to the point that the car is no longer drive able. I was told by a friend that it could be a fault in the brain, but I'm hoping that it's something simpler and easy to fix but I am really stuck and need your help!

Many thanks,
Jason
hey c220sport.

Did you solved your problem.

How?

I'm having the same issue.

Best regards,
Sérgio

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
EPC is usually fuel pressure related. as a 1997 car is the old type diesel rather than CDi, i would guess its an issue in the injector pump. IIRC they were quite a weak pump even back in their day and failed on quite a lot of these cars, hence why there are so few left running.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
The 202 C220 was, I think, only a CDi.

Is it?
'97 must be a very early one.

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
The 202 C220 was, I think, only a CDi.

Is it?
'97 must be a very early one.

No, I think it is the OM604 which had a rotary instead of inline pump i believe it was electronic aswell

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
No, I think it is the OM604 which had a rotary instead of inline pump i believe it was electronic aswell

correct. i had one (my first MB) and it was a cracking car, 44k on the clock when we bought it, 110k when a scania argued with it! they were an old school pump working on the same basic principle as the one in the C250d/td (cant remember if they were rotary or inline now, and i never needed to look anyhow) or any other diesel of that era (most werent common rail apart from possibly Peugeots etc) and did have the electronic throttle pedal (linked to under the bonnet via a short cable, then fly by wire) etc

Last edited:

rako59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 1996 2.2d ,E23o for parts
what was your outcome did you fix it

what was the out come same with mine may scrape, please reply if i can save it

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
correct. i had one (my first MB) and it was a cracking car, 44k on the clock when we bought it, 110k when a scania argued with it! they were an old school pump working on the same basic principle as the one in the C250d/td (cant remember if they were rotary or inline now, and i never needed to look anyhow) or any other diesel of that era (most werent common rail apart from possibly Peugeots etc) and did have the electronic throttle pedal (linked to under the bonnet via a short cable, then fly by wire) etc

My old W202 was a normally aspirated 2.2 litre diesel. It had an inline diesel pump that took it to 234,000 miles whereupon the door rusted through. It was a fantastic engine and revved out to 5,500 rpm before it ran out of steam. It was nowhere near as powerful as a turbocharged diesel, but it was extremely reliable and the car never let me down once in 150,000 miles, apart from the door rusting through. The accelerator was cabled to a rotary rheostat which contolled the throttle by wire.

Last edited:

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
The accelerator was cabled to a rotary rheostat which contolled the throttle by wire.

The TPS. These can trigger the EPC message on later cars.

One attribute seems to be that the engine never cuts out, unlike HP, injector or fuel rail causes.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom