ESP light and car braking to a halt

shab

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this forum so I hope all you mercedes expert out there will be able to help me. I have a v reg e240 and every now and again the ESP light comes on. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to resolve it. If i turn the engine off and back on again the light goes out.

More worrying though is today I found that the car was driving to a halt as if the brake was being pressed and had to drive back home really slowly. The ESP was light was on this time as well.

can anyone help me with these problems.

thanks ion advance

Shahbaz

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
This "could" be as simple as a brake light switch fault (common).

But the way you describe the fault, i think its a bit more in-depth!!

A short test is the cheapest method of fault finding!

Welcome to the forums!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hi there, if you do a forum search on this subject you will see that your problem is most likely to be the brake pedal switch. all the answers you could wish for on this subject can be found in the search facility.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will say brake lamp switch and I have sent you the instruction on how to change it

Welcome to the forum

OP
S

shab

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for all the responses so far but does this explain why the car is braking to a halt.

OP
S

shab

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for replying. I haven't received the instructions on how to change the brake lamp switch. Where did you send it, to my email address?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
Thanks for all the responses so far but does this explain why the car is braking to a halt.

is it really braking? or is the engine output being reduced? try driving normally (if it will let you) and just brush the brake pedal with your left foot while keeping right foot on the gas pedal. you will notice it immediately cuts engine out put. if this demonstration reproduces your 'braking to a halt' symptom this probably links with a pedal switch fault.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'm with SAM on this one. The switch can bring on the light but it doesn't cause the ESP to engage which is what the symptoms point to. Reduced power (braking or not) plus ESP light wouldn't be the switch. That would point to something more in depth.
Is the light flashing like it's detecting a wheel spin or is it on solid like a fault?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for replying. I haven't received the instructions on how to change the brake lamp switch. Where did you send it, to my email address?

I sent it to your Email address take a look in your junk box

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reduced power (braking or not) plus ESP light wouldn't be the switch.

i have seen just this, if the me/cdi module recieves brake pedal signal from esp it immediately cuts power, easy to demonstrate when driving as i suggested.

the common problem of failing brake pedal switches is usually due to damaged contacts not making circuit. some times however some of the brass contacts break clean away and float around in the switch. this can cause the esp to see the pedal pressed when it's not - less common but still happens.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i have seen just this, if the me/cdi module recieves brake pedal signal from esp it immediately cuts power, easy to demonstrate when driving as i suggested.

the common problem of failing brake pedal switches is usually due to damaged contacts not making circuit. some times however some of the brass contacts break clean away and float around in the switch. this can cause the esp to see the pedal pressed when it's not - less common but still happens.

This is double circuit,,on most it kills the CAN signal to the BAS

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is double circuit,,on most it kills the CAN signal to the BAS

double circuit, with double contacts for each circuit. many different designs and years of use. and still they constantly cause problem after problem - good riddance then! :eek:

btw the bas and esp functions are always integrated into the one module.

Top Bottom