ESP Visit Workshop

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi in my insanity I listened to a friends' recommendation and had my car MoT'd at a different garage than I normally use. Well it failed (that's ok) on a track rod end and a lower ball joint. Anyway they fixed that car I drove away and the steering wheel was off centre to the left and on the motorway it pulled left. The car went back in again today for tracking and 2 hours on the ramp the car comes out, but the steering is now off to the right, but it drives better. They said they could have it back in to TRY and rectify this. So as I drove off and the ESP defective Visit workshop came up. So I went back and said that now there is a problem with the ESP. They said that it is because the tracking has been changed and it will recalibrate, but they will scan it and recalibate it there. Well message went off, then on, then off and now on the way back home it is on again. Is what they are telling me about the recalibration correct? Is it ok to drive in this condition?
There is no need to tell me that I made a mistake going there. Never again.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Get it properly 4 wheel aligned by someone who knows what they're doing!
Sounds like that lot don't have a clue and have totally bolloxed it up.

The steering should easily adjust to be straight ahead and the steering angle sensor should never need to recalibrate unless it's had power removed.

Where in the country are you?
Maybe someone can recommend a place that has a clue.

If you're near Aylesbury then Wheels in Motion are the experts. If near Bristol @Steve@Avantgarde is your man.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Get it properly 4 wheel aligned by someone who knows what they're doing!
Sounds like that lot don't have a clue.

The steering should easily adjust to be straight ahead and the steering angle sensor should never need to recalibrate unless it's had power removed.
I think that you are correct there about their abilities. I will travel the extra distace and go to Wendover Motor Spares, where I have always gone, but this place is nearer and recomended, but never again. Stay with what you know.
When you say the power has been removed. How would this have happened. Is it still ok to drive?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think that you are correct there about their abilities. I will travel the extra distace and go to Wendover Motor Spares, where I have always gone, but this place is nearer and recomended, but never again. Stay with what you know.
When you say the power has been removed. How would this have happened. Is it still ok to drive?
Battery disconnected or steering wheel removed. To recalibrate normally with speed below 8mph drive turning the steering one full turn one way then one full turn the other and it should recalibrate. Yes safe to drive but be aware you have no skid protection so be careful.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Battery disconnected or steering wheel removed. To recalibrate normally with speed below 8mph drive turning the steering one full turn one way then one full turn the other and it should recalibrate. Yes safe to drive but be aware you have no skid protection so be careful.
Thank you.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Thank you went up to Asda and slowly went around in circles. It went off, but came back on, on the way back.I will proabably find that the w_nk Stain hit it with something. Where are they on the car?

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you went up to Asda and slowly went around in circles. It went off, but came back on, on the way back.I will proabably find that the w_nk Stain hit it with something. Where are they on the car?
In the steering wheel.
I suspect bits so far off the straight ahead position it can't calibrate.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
In the steering wheel.
I suspect bits so far off the straight ahead position it can't calibrate.
According to the read out sheets from the tracking, it started off as -0.32 left. 0.47 right. Now set at +0.08 L, +0.08 R If that makes sense.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Possibly damaged an ABS sensor whilst replacing the TRE , as the ESP control side of things monitors all sorts of inputs from all sorts of places.

Had a faulty ABS sensor on the Cayenne and it threw up numerous expensive sounding errors , all DIY`d for £23 and 40mins work.

K

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's the toe in/out relative to the centre line of the vehicle but that may not reflect the alignment when the steering wheel is in it's true straight ahead position
For example you can wind on a full turn of lock so the steering wheel looks straight ahead but the wheels themselves will be far from it.

The very first and most important thing to do before adjusting anything is setting the steering wheel in the centre of the rack (mid point between full left and right lock). The steering wheel is then locked in that position and the track rod ends adjusted to suit. If the position if the steering wheel and column relative to the rack hasn't been messed with then that should also correspond to the steering wheel being in the straight ahead position.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
That's the toe in/out relative to the centre line of the vehicle but that may not reflect the alignment when the steering wheel is in it's true straight ahead position
For example you can wind on a full turn of lock so the steering wheel looks straight ahead but the wheels themselves will be far from it.

The very first and most important thing to do before adjusting anything is setting the steering wheel in the centre of the rack (mid point between full left and right lock). The steering wheel is then locked in that position and the track rod ends adjusted to suit. If the position if the steering wheel and column relative to the rack hasn't been messed with then that should also correspond to the steering wheel being in the straight ahead position.
Yes I hadn't thought of that, but can you tell if it is central by how many turns it takes for full right from centre and full left from centre, when you turn the wheel?

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Possibly damaged an ABS sensor whilst replacing the TRE , as the ESP control side of things monitors all sorts of inputs from all sorts of places.

Had a faulty ABS sensor on the Cayenne and it threw up numerous expensive sounding errors , all DIY`d for £23 and 40mins work.

K
Thank you. Can you find this out by running a fault scan? I have a new Icarsoft MB coming on Monday. Where are these sensors so I can take a look. Wouldn't you also get an ABS light?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you. Can you find this out by running a fault scan? I have a new Icarsoft MB coming on Monday. Where are these sensors so I can take a look. Wouldn't you also get an ABS light?
Yes , the iCarsoft found my ABS sensor fault.

I had a list of faults displayed on the dash when my sensor failed - ESP / PASM / ABS etc / etc , how MB display their faults maybe different.

You dont say if your car is a W211 or W212 , either way a YT search came up with these :

FWIW i dont see how replacing a single TRE or doing the alignment would require resetting the steering angle sensor as there is no need to disconnect the battery to do either task ?

K

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I hadn't thought of that, but can you tell if it is central by how many turns it takes for full right from centre and full left from centre, when you turn the wheel?
Full lock left and mark top of steering wheel. Full lock right and repeat. Straight ahead should be centre of the marks.
If it's not the wheel needs removing and refitting.

That ensures the rack is centred.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Yes , the iCarsoft found my ABS sensor fault.

I had a list of faults displayed on the dash when my sensor failed - ESP / PASM / ABS etc / etc , how MB display their faults maybe different.

You dont say if your car is a W211 or W212 , either way a YT search came up with these :

FWIW i dont see how replacing a single TRE or doing the alignment would require resetting the steering angle sensor as there is no need to disconnect the battery to do either task ?

K
Thank you. No the battery was not taken off. I think that he just couldn't get the steering wheel right as it was up on the ramps for at least 2 hours, as I was waiting thinking it would be a quick fix. Wheels off tomorrow to see if any sensors were damaged. Is there only 1 abs sensor or 1 each side?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wheels off tomorrow to see if any sensors were damaged. Is there only 1 abs sensor or 1 each side?

One sensor for each corner.

If the steering wheel was straight and the car drove straight before the replaced the TRE then they have just flung on the new part in any position , any time i have replaced one i leave the old locknut on and just screw the new TRE on until it reaches the old locknut. That way you are as close to the original settings as possible.

K

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
One sensor for each corner.

If the steering wheel was straight and the car drove straight before the replaced the TRE then they have just flung on the new part in any position , any time i have replaced one i leave the old locknut on and just screw the new TRE on until it reaches the old locknut. That way you are as close to the original settings as possible.

K
I normally do this myself, but thought I would get it done by the garage as I no longer have use of an indoor facility. Obviosly a bad mistake. The car drove fine before the new parts were fitted. After pulled left. Now not sure, as I have not driven it far.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
It amazes me how so many so called garages manage to mess up things like this. I'd have thought it all quite basic stuff really.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
It amazes me how so many so called garages manage to mess up things like this. I'd have thought it all quite basic stuff really.
Yes pitiful, but once they have your car you are at their mercy and they can say that anything if faulty or needs replacing even if they have broken it in the process. I should have stayed with the garage I normally use, but listened to someone else. So if you are in Aylesbury and need a GOOD TRUSTWORTHY garage use Wendover Motor Spares, not any that start with "D" in Aylesbury. lol. Well not actually funny at all.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom