Ethylene or Propylene Glycol?

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Kompressor W211 2003 1798 cc Petrol
Hi folks,
I'd like to check the concentration of my coolant to ensure I've protection during this cold weather. I've seen the simple devices that syringe out a sample of coolant and indicate the temperature to which the coolant will provide protection.
However, they seem to cater for two types of antifreeze: ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.
How do I know which type of antifreeze is in my cooling system?
And, is it possible to use, say, an ethylene glycol tester if my coolant contains propylene glycol? Is it possible to convert readings between the two types of antifreeze?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ken.

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
A ethylene tester will not work with proplene glycol antifreeze.

OP
SmoothBall

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought a tester in Halfords that has two scales on it: one for methanol; one for ethylene glycol. Each scale is sub-divided into two, for hot or cold coolant temperatures.
Think it was around the €15 mark; certainly no more.

Have some pics but don't know how to upload. When I click the Insert Image button, it asks for a URL on the web. Can I not upload from my computer? If anyone can enlighten, I'll upload them in another post.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
For most of the year the coolant protects mianly against corrosion, regular changes with the correct stregnth mix will eliminate any need to test its freezing point unless you are topping up the system regularly with water there will be no reduction of stregnth.

Standard stuff change every 2 years, long life every 5.

To test it put a sample in the freezer, if it freezes do something about it.

OP
SmoothBall

SmoothBall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now why didn't I think of that test: putting it in the freezer.
Simple and elegant!

If I remember correctly, most domestic freezers are set to maintain a temperature of -18 ºC. Should cater for all but the harshest of winter nights in Ireland/Britain.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i have ethylene glycol in my merc and add a lit every 2 yrs, it is cheap enough and only takes 5 mins to do it.

in my toyota supra i use toyota's "forlife" it looks like ribena, i have owned the car from new in 1996 and last winter which was severe i decided to test the performance of the coolant, it went down to minus 17c, SO this stuff has protected my engine from corrosion and freezing conditions for 50,000 miles and 15 years, so it is good stuff and well worth putting in your engine. the trade and manufacturers will always advise changing coolants, brake fluid, engine oil etc for obviouse reasons.

presumably you need to check the compatability with your engine but it would be logical for it to be compatible with all engines they are all cast iron, aluminium and rubber hosses, etc. herbiemercman.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>but it would be logical for it to be compatible with all engines they are all cast iron, aluminium and rubber hosses, etc.

No, alas, it's not that simple.

For example, our MBs have plastics materials on their radiators and in their duo valves, there are different gasket materials and O ring seal materials with their own chemical compatibility problems. The anti-freeze needs to be compatible with these too.

It's best to stick to anti-freeze which you know to be compatible with a particular manufacturers engines - this doesn't limit you to manufacturers own fluids - Comma, for example offer a range of anti-freeze products which are formulated to meet manufacturer's specific requirements.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom