Eventual CL (W216) V12 purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
These cars do not sell quickly so your offer will keep without a deposit for a while yet ;)

Don't rush this decision, take your time and get the right car for you and don't be guilty of wasting salesmen's time, they enjoy it lol.

They don't tend to hang about too long either, because there aren't many for sale.

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
I'm watching this thread closely. 18 months and counting. If I'm still single (entirely likely) I'd think about it. Not had a second hand car for years but £100k+ v £50k after 1 year is pretty compelling!

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
your doing the right thing test driving the 63...took me 6 months to find my E55k ..so hang in there and wait for the perfect machine...it does exist, am also looking forward to the update:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am getting urges to spend some money,I take sneaky looks at the adds

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
I am getting urges to spend some money,I take sneaky looks at the adds

Hence forth, it's either a V12 or 63 V8 bi-turbo! When my boys grow into men, they will continue from where I left the V8/V12 passion! :)

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
how was the CL63 test drive?

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.
Ooh, he lives fairly local to me........... wonder if he'll let me have a sit in a proper Mercedes when he chooses one....... please Mr Mcobinad??? :lol:

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
how was the CL63 test drive?

I am trying to load up the stuff on youtube. My iMovie is not responding! I will post the link as soon as the video is ready.

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ooh, he lives fairly local to me........... wonder if he'll let me have a sit in a proper Mercedes when he chooses one....... please Mr Mcobinad??? :lol:

With all pleasure, sir! BTW, your Mercedes is still a proper one. Except that the AMG is a bit special!

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update!!

The 6.3 AMG test drive experience fell below my expectation. Firstly, when I arrived at the dealership, I didn't quite like the look of the environment as it looked shabby & dodgy to me and I said to myself straight away, I don't think I will be bringing my business here. I could see myself having warranty issues with this dealership if I end up buying from them. Anyway, back to the test drive of the 6.3 AMG. Unfortunately, the salesman would not allow me get behind the wheel of the 6.3 AMG purely for insurance policy purposes. Basically, I was not insured to get behind the wheel of his car. I was like ok fine 'suit yourself'. Sitting as a passenger while I was being driven is not the best way to get the experience of a car that I am potentially considering to buy. Mind you, my objective is to test drive these two cars V12/6.3 AMG back to back before deciding on which to settle for. So far, I did not enjoy the 6.3 AMG because I was not the one behind the wheel and I did not have the opportunity to throw the car about the way I did with the V12. Ok, enough of the vociferous critics and back to the basics. The 6.3 AMG is one of the best sounding cars in the Mercedes lineup and it brakes on a dime. Not to mention, I love the body styling of the 6.3 better for a stock car, in my opinion, it looks the part. The V12 despite the fact that looks do no lack either, still looks like any base W216 with just a V12 engine transplant. The 6.3 AMG test drive could have been a totally different experience if I was the one behind the wheel. Despite sitting as a passenger, I still enjoyed the ride.

Also, once you drive the 6.3 AMG with manual paddle shifters, this car turns up to be a very sporty car and its acceleration has this spontaneous effect to it.. However, the V12 seemed to be quicker off the line as from 0-60, the factory says they are the same; 4.5, but I must admit the V12 with almost an extra 150 ft lbs of torque maintains that cadence upto 120... range. Could it be because I was the one driving it? The power band is completely different and much smoother in the V12. There is nothing else out there that has the whoosh and thrust of the twin turbo V12 although the 6.3 AMG engine sounds amazing too. Maybe, it is the exhaust in the 6.3 AMG and the noise it makes when you punch it, that gives it that slight edge over the latter. In the 6.3 AMG, you get there but for what ever reason, the V12 does it in a more elegant way. I noticed as well that the 6.3 AMG engine had none of that "hang on to the wheel for dear life" crazy acceleration in the 0-60 zone that I so loved in the V12. I think the 6.3 AMG motor is underpowered for the CL especially seen in mid-range acceleration. Don't get me wrong, I love both cars but I think the V12 is just a touch faster. Not to mention, if you punch from a dead stop with the traction control off at around 45-50 Mph or so, the rear end breaks loose once the turbos get going. Also, the 6.3 has done (77,000) and needs a 'B' service urgently. So far, I am partially sold to the V12 .

I am still on the look out for another 6.3 AMG that I can drive properly and then decide afterwards. So far, I am still very happy about my choices because either way you can't go wrong as these are 2 very stunning vehicles. The V12 leans to the classy elegant side while the 6.3 AMG is all about racing with a much more stiffer suspension and jaw breaking looks. Find attached a link to my test drive. Sorry for the poor image quality! :)

CL 6.3 V8 Bi-Turbo Test Drive

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Dam..
Your video wont play.. It says the owner of the video has it set to Private

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are making it very hard for me Mcobinad,,,As the blue ones have started to fall in price I can see me getting an AMG bodied fully loaded one of these.
4.9 to 60 should be OK for me.

With the new one just some 7 months or so away does not help at all right now

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dam..
Your video wont play.. It says the owner of the video has it set to Private

Sorry, Simon for the inconvenience. I forgot to publish it publicly. I have corrected it. :)

OP
Mcobinad

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If problem persists, try this link. Here

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It works fine thanks, and you are putting me off the 63 :D:D there was not much in the way of goodies on that one.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have not driven either car, and putting purchasing and running costs to one side, I think, perhaps because I am now into the second half of my life as a driver, I would want the sublime easy power of the naturally aspirated V12.
I have always preferred the seamless power delivery of big naturally aspirated engines......I know the smoothness of turbo and supercharger power has vastly improved over recent years but there is still not substitute for cubic inches and a wide band of massive lazy torque.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have not driven either car, and putting purchasing and running costs to one side, I think, perhaps because I am now into the second half of my life as a driver, I would want the sublime easy power of the naturally aspirated V12.
I have always preferred the seamless power delivery of big naturally aspirated engines......I know the smoothness of turbo and supercharger power has vastly improved over recent years but there is still not substitute for cubic inches and a wide band of massive lazy torque.

Mic

I have to agree Mic hence my thoughts on it all, I do need to spend some money and in my case the blue one gives me super smooth performance with comfortable suspension and 0 to 60 in 4.8 is so close to AMG without all the extra running expense and cost.

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video.

I would NEVER buy a car I had not driven out of both principle and the fact I had not tested it.

Leaving a car with a service overdue when trying to sell is shabby on the dealers part too.

The car looked and sounded good though.

If you had driven it and liked it, and the dealer would agree to service it then that would be something, but otherwise just not the impression you want when you go to purchase a vehicle.

When I bought the 55, the chap had it serviced and valteted for me after I booked an apointment just to see it.

As it happens I did end up putting down a non refundable deposit over the phone a few days later when he confirmed it was all ready, as I didn't want to loose the chance of seeing / testing the car, but by comparison these people didn't sound like they really wanted to make the effort to sell it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom