Excessive R230 SL road noise from rear - what's yours like??

OP
M

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
350SL R230 2003 + CLK320cdi 2006+ 156 Alfa
Have a look at the tyres sidewalls and check if they have a 'direction of rotation' arrow, if they do are they fitted the correctly as fitted the wrong way round they will make a lot more noise.

no ive done that check and also tyres are 2.5yrs old . i'm waiting to get a ride in another 350 just in case my expectatuons are too high!

BurgerDave

Reaction score
Website
forums.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 SL350
Thanks again for the offer, Sittingbourne being a bit if a hike (100mls) I'd like to try and kill two birds at the same time. If you don't mind perhaps you could P.M me a contact number so when I know I'm going to be around the M25 I could give you a bell in advance to see whether we could work something out? ( I don't have sufficient posts as yet to PM you). I'd also like to ask about your throttle booster you have fitted as I'm not a fan at all of the "adaptive throttle profile" programmed in as standard.

PM Sent.

Regards,

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/SLK320 Special Edt/SLK320 "Tinkerbelle Edition"
Hi Martin, if your cruising up near Sittingbourne at anytime visiting Burgerdave or the sidcup bypass!!! i have a spare set of 350 wheels sitting in the garage your more than welcome to bolt them on and try your's up the road to see how the road noise differ's:D

OP
M

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Martin, if your cruising up near Sittingbourne at anytime visiting Burgerdave or the sidcup bypass!!! i have a spare set of 350 wheels sitting in the garage your more than welcome to bolt them on and try your's up the road to see how the road noise differ's:D

Thanks for the offer1 Your posts show you have 19" on now , is your spare set 18" like mine or 17"?

PS. is there some sort of clustering effect for R230s' around the Sittingbourne area? :)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Michelins here, dead quiet, apart from the spitfire noise when I put my foot down.

Last edited:

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
I'm in Horsham, West Sussex

I have both 17" and 18" wheels for my SL350

If your passing let me know and I'd be happy to take you for a spin

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Martin, i think this general area of Kent is as far as all the " Factory Collected " cars made it from Dover before they all broke down and were taken to Main Dealers who could not fix them! so we have a plentiful supply of these marvelous money pits!!! and yes the 18" are the spare set:D

OP
M

martin_sv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm in Horsham, West Sussex

I have both 17" and 18" wheels for my SL350

If your passing let me know and I'd be happy to take you for a spin

It gets better and better. It's great to learn of all the sl 350 owners on the forum. I only drove one other r230 ( an Sl 500) prior to purchasing mine privately and must say I didn't pick up on the road noise then as only v briefly was on a dual carriageway (less than a mile) and probably thought it was just one of those really noisy bits of road surface that we all come across. If you're around Horsham that would be perfect as I can see there's a nice dual carriageway just about a mile out of town and Horsham itself is just 50 miles from me so I think I'd like to take you up on this. Could you possibly PM me a contact number?

PS No offence intended to the Sittingbourne duo ( BurgerDave and VauxhallManiac) but member Fleetwood is half the distance and I get to avoid the M25!

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As Burgerdave says " none taken!!! " hope you get it sorted, i'm running brand new Conti's on the 19's all quite so far!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom