excessive rear tyre wear

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Interesting thread is this. I say this because I've recently bought a 2013 SL350 and the rear tyres are supposed to have 39 psi in them as do the fronts (I think) I thought at the time that this was a bit excessive. The ride is quite firm and they are run flats, which I'm going to change to standard once they wear out. So my question is should I drop the psi and to what level. My previous car was a Jaguar S Type with 18 inch wheels and the pressure recommended was 30 psi but I used to run them about 28/29
Your thoughts please :confused:

The recommended pressures on my C63 were 44 psi when lightly loaded. I was... pretty surprised, as that was the most I'd ever seen on any road car of mine.

Suffice it to say, I tried it... it lasted one day before I went back to usual 34-35 on front and 32-33 on rears. In 4 yrs, never got uneven nor obviously premature tyre wear, just a far better ride, better steering response (at 44, it felt like I was steering on ice), and lower road noise.

I'm pretty certain the intention was purely to coax more friendly fuel consumption figures out of it

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Thanks for that. I might try mine at 32 all round and see how it feels.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My SL had 18s and I ran them on 32 with good ride and no problems (36 on winters)

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
Thanks. Yes I thought that might be a happy medium to start with. I'll keep my eye on them to see how they wear. Incidentally when I first got the car I went through it to make sure everything was ok and I noticed that the tyre pressures were well below 39 psi So looking back now I bet the previous owner was running them at a reduced pressure.

Bay Leaf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R231 2013
I'm ashamed to admit this but I was reading the wrong wheels / tyres size inside the fuel cap. They should be 30 psi rear and 32 front. :eek:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom