Excessive smoke from exhaust?

Barty75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK 270 CDI 2005
Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie here. I have a question regarding a Mercedes CLK 270 CDI 2005 that I have recently bought. As much as I love the car I am a little concerned about the amount of smoke I am seeing in my rear view mirror when driving.

I notice this at night time when I drive down the motorway. If I accelerate fairly hard I notice a fair amount of, what I think is white smoke, in the headlights of any cars behind me.

Although this is not a major issue I do feel a little embarrased to be driving a Merc and leaving a trail of smoke behind me. The car has only done 55k and has been regularly serviced. Runs just great.

I know nothing about cars, this is my second diesel car, my first being a Vauxhall Astra which did leave some smoke behind me, but not as much as this car.

Someone has recommended using something called 10K Boost Diesel De-coke to help reduce this problem????? Does anyone know if this is any good????

Unfortunatley I am one of those guys who has used all his money to buy his dream car and is trying to solve this problem without having to go to a Merc garage and pay the costs:shock:!!!!

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie here. I have a question regarding a Mercedes CLK 270 CDI 2005 that I have recently bought. As much as I love the car I am a little concerned about the amount of smoke I am seeing in my rear view mirror when driving.

I notice this at night time when I drive down the motorway. If I accelerate fairly hard I notice a fair amount of, what I think is white smoke, in the headlights of any cars behind me.

Although this is not a major issue I do feel a little embarrased to be driving a Merc and leaving a trail of smoke behind me. The car has only done 55k and has been regularly serviced. Runs just great.

I know nothing about cars, this is my second diesel car, my first being a Vauxhall Astra which did leave some smoke behind me, but not as much as this car.

Someone has recommended using something called 10K Boost Diesel De-coke to help reduce this problem????? Does anyone know if this is any good????

Unfortunatley I am one of those guys who has used all his money to buy his dream car and is trying to solve this problem without having to go to a Merc garage and pay the costs:shock:!!!!

I presume its the same engine as my ML. In which case, I had the same thing a few weeks ago. A simple air filter change sorted it out.

Yes, there is still a small amount of smoke (normal) - more noticeable at night in the following cars headlights - but nowhere near what it was.

OP
B

Barty75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your response Jez ML270, I will give it a try and buy a new filter this weekend, fingers crossed it will help.....

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Hi everyone,

EGR valve needs cleaning.

jib

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009, C220 CDI, SE Blue Efficiency, Estate
Hi Barty and welcome to the site .

I've had the same with my 220 CDI. A good long thrash sorts it out for a while but I haven't had the opportunity lately so I tried a bottle of additive from Hellfrauds. It's called 'Wynns Diesel smoke reducer' or something like that.

After a couple of days the smoke had gone during normal driving and was greatly reduced during hard acceleration.

All the best,

OP
B

Barty75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the advice. I have just fitted a new air filter tonight. The filter that I took out was black, so it certainly needed changing. I will see how the car goes tomorrow on my way home from work. If it is still a little smoky I will try what you suggested...

OP
B

Barty75

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys,

Well I drove down the motorway last night and looked in my rear view mirror. Still some smoke visible when accelerating. I'm going to try some Wynns Clean Burn Diesel Smoke Treatment. Just bought some on line so should be able to try it this week.

I am starting to wonder if this is just me being paranoid. Not a diesel expert, as you can tell. Are all diesel cars going to be similar? Will they all show signs of white smoke when accelerating? I have driven behind many other diesel Mercs and not noticed anything from their exhausts.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom