exhaust fumes through heater?

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
whilst car is moving all ok, stationary and i can smell exhaust fumes if fan is on, not if fan is off? Once moving exhaust smell stops. Exhaust smell is not present in recirculate.
Put car up on ramp, removed plastic undertrays,friend put his hands over tail pipe and not the slightest hint of any leak from exhaust??
where could the exhaust fumes be comming from???

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
whilst car is moving all ok, stationary and i can smell exhaust fumes if fan is on, not if fan is off? Once moving exhaust smell stops. Exhaust smell is not present in recirculate.
Put car up on ramp, removed plastic undertrays,friend put his hands over tail pipe and not the slightest hint of any leak from exhaust??

I guess anywhere along the line of the exhaust system.. Worth setting the car to tick over and blocking the tail pipe with a cloth. Any leaks would become apparent under the back pressure.

If the system is old, suspect the metalwork, if it is new, suspect the connections and gaskets.

It would be good to cure this though as, apart from the smell, you get some carbon monoxide. Whilst it might not kill you directly, it could cause anything from a cracking headache, through to enough driver performance impairment to make the him a hazard to shipping.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..

Is this car a C220 CDI ? If so exhaust fumes may be coming from injector seals . What you have described are classic symptons of this .

OP
Rappey69

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
it is a 220 cdi.. I dont think stuffing a rag up the exhaust is possible as my friend had dificulty blocking with his hands due to great pressure..
Hmm, injector seals- will have a look at that in the next day or two...
now and then the car is awefull to cold start too so another reason to check out injectors.
the exhaust looks in very good condition, no surface rust.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That cold start could be the clue to leaky injectors

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
it is a 220 cdi.. I dont think stuffing a rag up the exhaust is possible as my friend had dificulty blocking with his hands due to great pressure..
Hmm, injector seals- will have a look at that in the next day or two...
now and then the car is awefull to cold start too so another reason to check out injectors.
the exhaust looks in very good condition, no surface rust.

Carbon deposits around the injectors will be the give away . Make sure whoever does the job knows what their doing as could be expensive if they don't . Many MB dealers will tell you that you need a new head . Make sure he's a decent mechanic and not a component changer .

OP
Rappey69

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
thanks for the replys. Have read much on here regarding injectors.. Can see remnants of a previous attack of "black death" and injectors look clean and shiny so would assume this is not the first time they have caused a problem.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Very common, trouble is, people dont take the time to clean out the bolt hole correctly, then of course the bolt dont tighten to the correct torque!!!

sms78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 c.d.i , Vw Beetle 1303
i think im guilty of one of these people with dirty bolt holes:p

OP
Rappey69

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Just looked at the engine and it is an injector leaking.. Many thanks to thoses who contributed as this is something i would probably not have figured out....
now comes the task of the repair (eek)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom