Exhaust Manifold downpipe connection to main system?

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Just a quick one... can't seem to find reference to this under forum search.

When I took the exhaust manifold off (along with supercharger, alternator and various other components) I noted that the connection between the exhaust manifold downpipe and the main exhaust system didn't have a seal/gasket of any kind. There is a rotating flange fitted to the main system. The joint is bolted together with two long (8mm x 55mm) bolts which I will replace, along with new nuts.

I can't find any kind of seal listed. The 'C230 Haynes manual (closest Haynes offering to my CLH230K engine) says... when disassembling recover the gasket where applicable which doesn't help much.

Now I'm refitting it the manifold what's the deal here?

• Assemble the (downpipe to main system) joint with no gasket and torque up to recommended settings?
  • Assemble the (downpipe to main system) joint with a smear of exhaust sealant (paste) and torque up to recommended settings?

I suspect that if I use some kind of paste it may degrade over time and leave the joint blowing through a gap in the sealant.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
I always use exhaust paste when the joint is the ball and socket type, never had a problem with the joint failing.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Have you checked on the Russian site? As i feel sure that there should be a collapsable/fibrous seal where you described.

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Thanks for the input so far.....

The only seal I can locate is as per item 30 in the drawing below, but that is at the mid point section. My exhaust front section is as per item 8.
The end I need to connect (exhaust manifold downpipe to exhaust front section) shows no seal (that I can see), just the swivel flange.

B49180000029.0727.gif

If I am missing something then if anyone can pitch in please let me know. I don't want to do the job, drop the car down and find me having to get it back up on ramps a while later because I screwed up.

In the meantime I have yet to fit the manifold (probably tomorrow) so do have time for this to pan out with a definitive answer.

Last edited:

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
There is no washer or sealant at this joint,it is metal to metal. I asked at Mercedes Glasgow when I rebuilt my cyl. head and was told this by a mechanic who came through from the workshop.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom