Exhaust Mounts

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I notice my W202 C180 exhaust is only supported by two mounts (my Hyundai has six) which are looking rather tired. As it would probably cause expensive damage if these mounts failed, I am thinking of replacing them although they passed the MoT. Should I buy them from Merc or does anyone know a good source? The reason I ask is that on another car I changed some old mounts for new aftermarket mounts which failed within 6 months and were evidently not up to the job.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think you may have answered your own question there Ed! ;)

Get them from MB, well most certainly get a price from MB before buying aftermarket. It might just not be worth the worry?

Last edited:
OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Yes will do. I did see some on FleaBay that claimed to be extra strong, reinforced type but can't find them now. Ever seen anything like that?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes will do. I did see some on FleaBay that claimed to be extra strong, reinforced type but can't find them now. Ever seen anything like that?

I have never looked tbh. I suppose it all comes to cost differential. Presumably the MB mounts are original? So you know they will last some time..

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
Last year I had cause to drop the silencer, back box on my W202 estate. It took a lot of effort and grunt and about 5 minutes to get the exhaust back on the rubber mounts at the back box, they were only 16 years old same as the back box, original as bought with the car and had done over 288000 klicks.

Get your rubbers from MB they are worth it.

Last edited:
OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Ref. " It took a lot of effort and grunt and about 5 minutes to get the exhaust back on the rubber mounts"
It looked as though the brackets that go throught the exhaust mounts are bolted on to the car with two bolts; I thought you simply undid those bolts, slide off the mount from the exhaust and the bracket, slide the new one on and bolt up again?

Last edited:
OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
They are just over £4 each from Mercedes so I have ordered two.

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
OK I changed them both. They both required the bolt holding the metal bracket that fits through the top of the exhaust mount to be undone in order to remove the mount. Then it is easy to remove the mount and replace with a new one:

Rear Mount: The rear one just needs to be undone a few turns so that the mount can slide off. You can spray the threads with WD40 prior to removal and if the bolt is stiff due to rust, work it backwards and forwards to loosed it so that it doesn't shear.

Centre Mount: You have to completely remove the bolt because the metal bracket and the bar holding the exhaust point in different directions. You cannot get to the threads of the bolt as it goes into a chassis member so if the bolt is stiff, you just have to patiently undo and do up a little at a time and gradually undo it.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom