Exhausting

planner12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 270 Avantgarde 2004 Kawasaki ZX12R
How long/many miles can I expect the exhaust of my E 270 to last.
Any one want to claim honour for longesting lasting system or
wooden spoon for shortest life most expensive.
Please tell me I will not have to part with any cash for many years as my spending money is needed for beer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Should go in excess of 12 years and hopefully much more

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
exhaust life

Well thats cheered me up Malcolm, as I saw a system recently (secondhand ) on e bay for about £500 odd quid, I though hell how much would a new system cost, but looking at mine it still shines like new, now thats quality eh.:mrgreen:
Regards
Alfie B

OP
P

planner12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 270 Avantgarde 2004 Kawasaki ZX12R
Should go in excess of 12 years and hopefully much more

Thanks Malcolm this is excellent news looks like supply of beer safe for a few years.
Or will I need lots of money for new pads and discs :)

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I have no recent experience of exhaust failure. My current car is approacing 7 years old and done 173K miles, no sign of exhaust problems yet.

At the end of 1994, a colleague and I both got new W124 E200 cars on the same day. Mine was an estate, his a saloon. In Nov 1997 he needed a new rear section (at 140K miles). A month later I needed a new rear section too (at 110K miles).

Both exhausts had fractured where the pipe goes into the rear box. They may have been repairable, but as they were company cars, they went straight into the dealers and got new sections fitted.

I covered similar miles with my next 3 Mercs with no exhaust problems. Might just have been a bad batch.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
My 250D needs an exhaust to get through its MOT, its the original system from 1989 and is getting a little leaky around the welds from boxes to pipes.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
My exhaust was gone at 4,000 miles, yes 4,000. MB called it wear and tear and insisted the warranty did not cover wear and tear. The cause of failure was a long seam weld split open. It was replaced at my cost and the replacement is fine. I think the cost was well under €500. I did eventually get it back because they tried the same stunt with a few other items and I let it go legal.

No reason why it should not last 12 -15 years.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom