Exporting my S Class to USA

T944

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 320 CDI L S Class/1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
Hi, Has anyone out there ever exported their non-classic car to USA. I am moving there shortly and wish to take my 'S' Class with me.

All advice/experience will be greatly received.

944T

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Depends on where you are going, many states, Cali being the big one, where inter state regulations would make it almost impossible and very expensive to get the car to conform to their standards and make it road legal. There is a consulate in belfast who will give you all the info you need.

OP
T

T944

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Exporting to USA

Thanks,

I had read the article which was very informative, but thought as both US and European models are produced in Stuttgart that there would be very little difference between them. Mercedes is refusing to tell me the spec differences in order for me to make an informed decision.

Regards

T944

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
lights are different (no yellow indicators) number plate mounts are different, bumpers may be different (silly impact resilience rules) side marker lights are fitted to US cars too.

it may be better for you, depending on prices etc, to sell yours and buy a similar car when you get to the USA. that way the steering wheel will be on the correct side for them, the car will meet the necessary specs/regs, and, on top of that, they dont really 'do' diesel cars over there, so it may be difficult finding competent repairers, should the need arise, even WITHIN the MB dealer network

OP
T

T944

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Exporting to USA

I think you are right, more trouble than it is worth. Seems incredible in this day and age that countries don't have common conformity standards. Amazingly my 86 Porsche can be exported with minimum formality (classic category), while the 'S' with all its gismos, can't. A strange world!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
lights are different (no yellow indicators) ....

More & more cars in the US have yellow indicators ... though I saw a Ford Focus out there a few years ago that had rear tail lights that didn't have a yellow indicator :eek: I notice that on my R Class, where the US has a front yellow side marker, I have a parking sensor in a body coloured part of the bumper

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Usa cars used to have a rear red indicator ie one of the brake lights would flash, not sure if this is still the case.
If your S class is going cheap I might be prepared to take it off your hands lol

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
As above, there would certainly be modifications to do to the lights - which may work out quite expensive.

I would also be concerned about the emissions standards in the US.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you know what has to done to meet US requirements, I would definitely leave it behind.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
This info may be out of date, but I read years ago that the US required your car to match the official US crash test results that are carried out for all US cars. As right hand drive versions are not sold in the US they have no relevant crash test results for any right hand drive cars and therefore do not let them in, unless you have unlimited funds and can convince them otherwise?

Russ

roop_the_loop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI BlueEff SE, 7G auto, estate (S212), 2012
I think you are right, more trouble than it is worth. Seems incredible in this day and age that countries don't have common conformity standards. Amazingly my 86 Porsche can be exported with minimum formality (classic category), while the 'S' with all its gismos, can't. A strange world!

With 200(ish) countries all wanting to do their own thing, we will never have harmonisation, ever. (Nor should we, IMHO, but that's a different point.) We can't even agree on the same paper size (A4 vs. 'Letter') or how to denote date and time, so how do you suppose something as complex as a car could ever be standardised across the world? And every time someone tries to harmonise things, all hell breaks loose if it means 'us' having to adopt 'their' system. Would you be happy to see the UK move to 100% metric system (no more MPG, it'll be L/100KM from now on, oh and your evening pint is now your evening half-litre), or for that matter to start driving on the other side of the road? ;)

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
With 200(ish) countries all wanting to do their own thing, we will never have harmonisation, ever. (Nor should we, IMHO, but that's a different point.) We can't even agree on the same paper size (A4 vs. 'Letter') or how to denote date and time, so how do you suppose something as complex as a car could ever be standardised across the world? And every time someone tries to harmonise things, all hell breaks loose if it means 'us' having to adopt 'their' system. Would you be happy to see the UK move to 100% metric system (no more MPG, it'll be L/100KM from now on, oh and your evening pint is now your evening half-litre), or for that matter to start driving on the other side of the road? ;)

Not forgetting that each Country wants their share of your money - Import Tax, Registration Tax, Conformity Tax etc etc., and that's BEFORE the vehicle is MOT'd, road taxed and insured.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Found this on a US site, I think lights & indicators will be the least of your problems.

"If the vehicle you are seeking to import is a RHD, even if there were a U.S.-certified left-hand version of that vehicle, it might not be considered "substantially similar" for import eligibility purposes. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of RHD vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, NHTSA will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises the agency in writing, on the manufacturer’s letterhead (and not that of an authorized dealership or other such entity affiliated with the manufacturer) that the RHD vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in crash tests. Absent such evidence, the petitioning RI would have to demonstrate that the vehicle, when modified, would comply. In this case, you might want to contact one or more of the RIs listed on our website to obtain their opinion on the feasibility of conforming the RHD vehicle to the FMVSS, and the costs involved in conforming the vehicle and petitioning NHTSA for a determination as to whether the vehicle is eligible for importation."

Russ

Top Bottom