Factory Fit Xenon issue after replacing bulb

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
ok, Television, my email is activated in my sgnature now thanks for the info you are sending.
bigasotonuk, thanks for the pics - mine actually looks different - yes it is a W209 CLK with factory fitted Xenon but the plug on the back of the bulb is a red round thing with two black wires coming out of it, like the link in convert2xenon above.
I think what i'll do is dismantle it at the weekend and see what it all looks like and take it from there. I'm reluctant to start cutting into wire harnesses, I'd prefer a straight swap.
Thanks everybody for your help and advice up to now, I'll take some pics of it all when it's in bits.
Cheers
Steve

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
If I were you, forget about using aftermarket parts and chopping into the wiring.

One of the problems with aftermarket parts is their quality certainly wont be as good as Bosch and also you can get radio interference from them.

Swap around the controllers and try and identify the faulty one.

Then call up several Bosch agents, give them the part number, and get several quotes for the faulty item.

Bosch agents quotes do vary but the part is exactly the same as the MB one but much much cheaper.

The £400 odd pound controller for mine in MB was £150 from a Bosch agent.....exactly the same part !

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
ok, Television, my email is activated in my sgnature now thanks for the info you are sending.
bigasotonuk, thanks for the pics - mine actually looks different - yes it is a W209 CLK with factory fitted Xenon but the plug on the back of the bulb is a red round thing with two black wires coming out of it, like the link in convert2xenon above.
I think what i'll do is dismantle it at the weekend and see what it all looks like and take it from there. I'm reluctant to start cutting into wire harnesses, I'd prefer a straight swap.
Thanks everybody for your help and advice up to now, I'll take some pics of it all when it's in bits.
Cheers
Steve

Yes,yours is a very different lamp altogether.

No Email address in your profile,,,did you save the changes at the bottom

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
A lot of what I wrote was under the assumption that your car was utilising a W202 C class Ballast.
The lamp that is shown in the pic is not the Xenon lamp but is the Halogen on the opposite side of the headlamp, the pics below for information are the Xenon side of the W202 xenon headlight.

Attachments

• PC010001.JPG
    PC010001.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 51
  • PC010002.JPG
    PC010002.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 56

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it. go back to your last post and delete the address in "edit"

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Ok further information - I have managed (thanks to info supplied by Television) to remove the inner wheel arch covers (just the front and centre parts), which allowed me to access underneath the righthand light unit. I undid the three star screws holdng what i believe is the controller in place and it came away from an electronic stlye plug/socket. Please find photo attached.
Questions then - is this the controller?
What is the ignitor? - Is that a seperate part or is it inside this box?
The xenon bulb has a red socket with two thick black wires running into it which then run back and into the light unit itself. Do these terminate into the electronic socket part the Controller was plugged into? (they seem tight to the pull, i don't want to exert too much pressure on them)
I'm going to swap them over with the left hand side and see if the fault follows the controller.
If it IS this part which needs changed wher can i find an automotive Bosch Agent please?
Your advice and help has been invaluable in getting me to this point, thanks.
I'll take a few more pics in case anybody else ever has to do this.

Attachments

• HID Contoller CLK W209small.jpg
    HID Contoller CLK W209small.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 38
  • HID Rear socketsmall.jpg
    HID Rear socketsmall.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is the control box in the picture, the igniter is the bit that goes from this box, to the headlamp xenon bulb.

I would think the the box has to be opened to get the wires in, they do not give us this info

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Ok I managed to swap over the two Control boxes and the fault followed the box, so i guess it's off to find a Bosch Agent then! I have a couple more pics to upload for the benefit of anybody else who may want to delve in to Xenon Lights on their W209, although I probably got the only faulty one in the world!
I appreciate your help Malcolm, thanks.

the two boxes just swap over and plug in easy. I could find no way of getting at the wires from the red socket that plugs onto the back of the bulb, hopefully i'll never need to do that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The igniter wire are high voltage (35kv) and special technique are needed when soldering these things.

So the lamp is still not working

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If they follow the same principle of operation as the W202 units , the black cables to the lamp holder will terminate in the ignitor which is fitted in the headlight itself, see the pics on post 18 of this thread.
I would be removing the headlight itself now, to see if this unit is removable as MB do not sell it separately, and only with a complete headlight assembly, though if you refer to Selsdon500 posts he makes mention that they can be removed and bought separately direct from BOSCH and i have seen them on the work bench at Mercman (Mercedes breakers of some repute) so it seems that Selsdon500 maybe onto something.
If these units are not available separately from BOSCH you,ll have to buy a new headlight unless of course you can source a 2nd hand unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If they follow the same principle of operation as the W202 units , the black cables to the lamp holder will terminate in the ignitor which is fitted in the headlight itself, see the pics on post 18 of this thread.
I would be removing the headlight itself now, to see if this unit is removable as MB do not sell it separately, and only with a complete headlight assembly, though if you refer to Selsdon500 posts he makes mention that they can be removed and bought separately direct from BOSCH and i have seen them on the work bench at Mercman (Mercedes breakers of some repute) so it seems that Selsdon500 maybe onto something.
If these units are not available separately from BOSCH you,ll have to buy a new headlight unless of course you can source a 2nd hand unit.

It is an odd thing Andy,, all of the dismantling instruction and part numbers for all of the bits are in WIS, so is this just a UK policy

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malc,
I can only comment with authority on the W202 unit as this has the ignitor pack inside the headlight itself as my pics on a previous post show. If you now look at the EPC for the Xenon Headlight for the 202 and it does not show the ignitor as a separate unit, but undeniably it is there as my pics show.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.631&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=82&SGR=180&SGN=09
Now if you look at the Xenon unit for the OP's 209 and the same thing only the control unit shown and as the lamp still does not work even with a known working control unit fitted it has to be something else, and i doubt it will be the cable to the lamp as this is a very good quality cable with high quality connectors due to the high voltage it has to carry. But either way the O/P needs to look inside the headlight, then we,ll know without doubt that the unit has a separate ignitor or not.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.636&CT=F&cat=69M&SID=82&SGR=210&SGN=06

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malc,
I can only comment with authority on the W202 unit as this has the ignitor pack inside the headlight itself as my pics on a previous post show. If you now look at the EPC for the Xenon Headlight for the 202 and it does not show the ignitor as a separate unit, but undeniably it is there as my pics show.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.631&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=82&SGR=180&SGN=09
Now if you look at the Xenon unit for the OP's 209 and the same thing only the control unit shown and as the lamp still does not work even with a known working control unit fitted it has to be something else, and i doubt it will be the cable to the lamp as this is a very good quality cable with high quality connectors due to the high voltage it has to carry. But either way the O/P needs to look inside the headlight, then we,ll know without doubt that the unit has a separate ignitor or not.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.636&CT=F&cat=69M&SID=82&SGR=210&SGN=06

You are missing the point here Andy, the igniter is the bulb holder complete with the 2 wires that go to the control unit. These component are shown as one on WIS. the control unit comes out of the lamp, as in the pictures the op put up, and they are replaced together, but it seems that UK dealers do not sell the part.

I have the 2009 EPC now and can check in the morning

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Thanks for all this info - maybe i should have explained it more clearly - the falut followed the HID control box - originally it was the RHS xenon not working - when i put the HID Controller in from the left hand side and vice versa, the RHS started to work and the LHS didn't, indicating its the controller itself at fault.
Thankfully looking at those pics!
I've sent a couple enquiries off for pricves, will update when i have them for other peoples benefit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steve when you get your new control unit, would it be possible for me to have the old one, I would love to open the unit and see if it is repairable

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The control units are listed on the current EPC and are supplied separately, I have just looked

Even the ignition module is listed part number A203-820-11-12 under parts kit ignition module

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malc,
I,m really confused now.
So are you saying that the externally mounted "xenon control unit" (pics of mine are in post 16) when bought new from MB, are supplied with a new separate "ignitor box" which in the case of mine is in the headlight? (Pics of mine in post 18)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Andy I have only looked at the 209, and not the 202 at this stage, I will take a look later

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
OK.....just to clear up the confusion, this is an igniter ( Out of a W202 ). It has a Bosch number on it but no MB number on it. It sits INSIDE the headlamp.

It is not on EPC because it comes as part of the complete headlamp unit. It is not sold separately.

When you by the control unit ( ballast unit) this does not include the igniter.

Wether it is the Ballast unit ( known in MB as the controller ) or the Igniter, go to Bosch for a price, To find your local Bosch supplier go to this page and quote any Bosch part numbers that you have.

Go to the dealer locator on this page : http://www.bosch.co.uk/content/language2/html/index.htm

Attachments

• ignitor.JPG
    ignitor.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well here we are talking about 2 different models, the 202, and 209. the photo from selsdon500 shows the control module and the igniter. They are on the EPC listed two types. the A 0202 820 69 26 for the left and the 70 26 for the right, these include the igniter

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom