Factory Fit Xenon issue after replacing bulb

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
Well here we are talking about 2 different models, the 202, and 209. the photo from selsdon500 shows the control module and the igniter. They are on the EPC listed two types. the A 0202 820 69 26 for the left and the 70 26 for the right, these include the igniter

Incorrect Malcolm.

What I have shown is the igniter and not the control module.

What you have quoted on EPC is the control unit (Ballast) and it is a completely separate item. The control unit you have quoted is a silver box with a cable coming out of it and a connector with four wires that connects to a connector on the headlamp casing. It is an external unit that sits under the bumper. Andy's Post 6 shows the control module.

The reason why I am quite sure of this is I am in the process of fitting W202 Xenons to my vehicle and have had to do some extensive research on the control modules (ballasts), part numbers and the workings of these systems ;)

Last edited:
OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Steve when you get your new control unit, would it be possible for me to have the old one, I would love to open the unit and see if it is repairable

no problem, I'll let you know soon as I've got it sorted :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Incorrect Malcolm.

What I have shown is the igniter and not the control module.

What you have quoted on EPC is the control unit (Ballast) and it is a completely separate item. The control unit you have quoted is a silver box with a cable coming out of it and a connector with four wires that connects to a connector on the headlamp casing. It is an external unit that sits under the bumper. Andy's Post 6 shows the control module.

The reason why I am quite sure of this is I am in the process of fitting W202 Xenons to my vehicle and have had to do some extensive research on the control modules (ballasts), part numbers and the workings of these systems ;)
I have not posted incorrect, OE units only have one control unit and igniter.
There is only the one control unit that is shown on the EPC, that contains the ballast and the igniter follows on from this to the burner, there is no more to the OE versions fitted.

What after market people call things is up to them

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Update on HID Controller - contacted a local Bosch service agent (details from Bosch site) and they do not hold the part. they contacted Boasch and were told there are none in stock in Bosch itself and were expecting them in in April! Price will be £127.20 which is considerably less than MB dealer. I see on Google there is one for sale in Slovakia, but I think I'll pass on that!

So, unless anybody can tell me about a Bosch service agent that holds lots of car parts on their shelves its either wait a few weeks or pay three times the cost at MB. Think it's over to the wifes car!

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
If I were you, forget about using aftermarket parts and chopping into the wiring.

One of the problems with aftermarket parts is their quality certainly wont be as good as Bosch and also you can get radio interference from them.

Swap around the controllers and try and identify the faulty one.

Then call up several Bosch agents, give them the part number, and get several quotes for the faulty item.

Bosch agents quotes do vary but the part is exactly the same as the MB one but much much cheaper.

The £400 odd pound controller for mine in MB was £150 from a Bosch agent.....exactly the same part !

Ok, I have been to my local Bosch agent and they informed me that the HID Controller for my car is too new for the general "aftermarket" and is only available through the Dealer (Bear in mind the W209 has been out a few years now). Apparently MB contract suppliers to NOT sell certain parts to the general public for a certain time (thus ensuring we have to purchase through them at their grossly inflated markup). He added the part is apparently scheduled to become available towards the end of April.

If that is indeed the case then looks like I'm shafted until then (I have another car so I'm happy to leave the CLK standing until then).

Or, can anybody cast doubt on that claim by by the service Agent, or perhaps know of another source? Annoyingly, I have seen these self same parts advertised abroad, maybe its just the UK where the market is sewn up?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is there not a car being broken, even if the lamps were smashed, the control part should be OK

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Or even Dronsfields, there normally pretty good when it comes to the smaller items, though I don,t think they would split the control pack from the headlight if it was,nt smashed. Still it might still be cheaper for a second hand Headlight and control pack than a new control pack from Mercedes.
Worth a try.

OP
S

steveatpipex

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm, Sels. and Big.
I'll try them tomorrow.

I'll send the old part to you malcolm soon as it's all sorted.

Cheers
Steve

Top Bottom