Farewell 211 E class

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I have just recieved this e-mail from MB: -

"I write further to your recent email regarding the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

You are quite correct, all of the 211 E-Class models (including the estate version) have now ceased production;"

Sad day. A great car with beautiful lines.

Press releases said the estate would continue till next year (selling at least) but that has now become a launch for the 212 estate by the end of this year or early next at the latest.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
sad day indeed.
I saw a 212 on the road a couple of days ago. It looked very disjointed to me, like bits stuck together - not moulded from a single block like the 211.
Also the back looked awful - really sloping, a bit like that 6 series bm offroader thing.

It was just a quick glance as I shot past so hopefully I didn't see it clearly enough. Ill have to find a few mins to pop into the dealer and have a proper look.

Anyway - it wasn't love at first sight - unlike the 211 where I was looking for a way to get one from the first time I saw it.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Funny you should say that: my reaction too. When I first saw the 211 I thought :wow that really is a beautiful saloon. And I still do. From any angle it pleases my eye and the front-on view is terrific. I'm really sad to see it go and so far cannot feel the same way about the new one.

Time may change that. I wasn't a fan of the new C class to begin with but full size in the metal it certainly has great presence. Sometimes you can mistake it for an S from a bit of a distance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do not know if this is signs of the times, but the new one that I played with had the artico seats, these to me do not say luxury, and they seem rather on the hard side. Other than that the finish was very very good, and to a high standard

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I do not know if this is signs of the times, but the new one that I played with had the artico seats, these to me do not say luxury, and they seem rather on the hard side. Other than that the finish was very very good, and to a high standard

It may be just me but the dash to me says "pure Ford".It is not at all like I expect a Mercedes to be.Very sorry.

Regards

Donk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Inbetween cars
Anyway - it wasn't love at first sight - unlike the 211 where I was looking for a way to get one from the first time I saw it

Same for me - it was the Film 'Men in Black' where I saw my first one and thought the same :) I'm sure we will grow to like the new one in time. It's a bit like when the E60 5 series BMW replaced the E39 I guess.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same for me - it was the Film 'Men in Black' where I saw my first one and thought the same :) I'm sure we will grow to like the new one in time. It's a bit like when the E60 5 series BMW replaced the E39 I guess.

The same was said for the CLS some hated it when it first came out,,now folk love it

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The same was said for the CLS some hated it when it first came out,,now folk love it

some do, but to be honest, I still wouldn't have one. The AMG looks the business but the basic one just doesn't do it for me. I though it might grow on me but I still don't get that longing I had for the 211 when I see one. I do quite like the 204 and apart from some misgivings about the boot lid, love the S (rather academic as I'll never be able to afford one but still).

benz1

Reaction score
Echoes my sentiments exactly;
CLS Class - always thought the four seats were a silly idea but love the exterior design
New S class - did not like it at first, thought it looked more blingy and less stately than the outgoing one. But looks very good to me now.
New C Class - did not like the pictures, but looks really great in the flesh (or metal)
New E Class - don't like the pictures, don't like it on the road. I think Merc have made a design faux pas here. I had originally planned to change my current 04 211 for an 18 month 212 sometime in 2012, but will probably keep my 211 and drive it till the 213 comes out hoping they have sacked whoever designed the 212 by then. OR buy 2 year old 09 211 in 2011.

nb Looks like they ripped off design tips from Lexus and Hyundai!!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, but historically these makers tend to be the ones to copy MB, not vice versa...

That could be said, it often depends on the time taken to get a car into production, there are many spy pictures around of cars that are several years away from being produced

SpikeUK

Reaction score
I feel the same about the W204...... it's just not pretty.
I tell myself it must be more advanced and more reliable, but compared to the W203 it is angular, aggressive and less elegant.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I feel the same about the W204...... it's just not pretty.
I tell myself it must be more advanced and more reliable, but compared to the W203 it is angular, aggressive and less elegant.

I agree. That is sadly the big trend in car design of the last few years. Agressive looks, nasty creases all over the place, stupid huge 'look-at-me-in-my-hotted-up-Nova' wheels, and a sad absence of soft, elegant, gentle, sweeping curves to please the eye.

The 211 is a masterpeice IMO. A classic, truly beautiful modern looking elegant motor car. Love it every time I look at it. Like a beautiful vase, a beautiful painting, a beautiful woman.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
. Like a beautiful a beautiful woman.

I feel like that over my SL, the new look does not mix the the original soft sides to the hard new front

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I feel like that over my SL, the new look does not mix the the original soft sides to the hard new front

Every time I see your model of the SL I see a truly beautiful car. As I did with the old old C class and the 211 E class. And the CLK. Not to mention the stunning old model CL. All had a family likeness. Maybe the new looks will grow on us. I'm still mourning the retirement of Bruno Sacco.

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Well, after reading the latest "Mercedes Enthusiast", I for one am going to start saving for an e250CGI coupe.

0-60 in 7.4s & nearly 40 mpg in such a handsome package too - back to the more 'brutal' form of the late 80s.

Interestingly, MB are canning the kompressor and moving over to turbochargers - seems Saab were right all along ;-).

Now, how am I going to raise the 7k deposit in 18 months.......?

Marco Polo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d SE 4Matic
Come on, guys, get a grip! We are all resistant to change but unless we progress then we become like the proverbial dinosaur. I went to the launch at my local main dealer and I like it - I saw one on the M6 last week and thought it looked very imposing - and contemporary! I still love the looks of my old, long since departed, W124 but it belongs to a different era.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Makers often follow suit on the designs

Very true. Most makers have design studios in California, including MB, and the guys naturally talk to each other and sometimes change companies, no doubt taking their pet features with them.

I sat in the new E coupe today (oddly MB Canada aren't selling the 4 door yet)

Overall it seemed surprisingly small. I liked the exterior, especially in black, but underwhelmed by the dash. The seats were nice, though seemed very low, to accommodate the lowered roof I suppose, but a bit like sitting in a pit. Still, depends what you're used to I guess.

Cheers

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom