Fault B48/2 and icarsoft MBII diagnosis .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Had a warning message come up 2 or 3 times over the last few months (the warning was for the SRS system ) each time it went out after a few minutes driving and never returned .
I bourght an Icarsoft MB2 last week and just had the chance to use it today . The fault showed ...
Fault in connection with component B48/2 , passenger side frontal acceleration sensor , OR there is a cable fault .
I searched the forum for fault B48/2 and found that it is a sensor that is under the headlight which is easily accessed by removing the front section under tray .
There were other posts that suggested it must be the same part number and same make for the new part ? Also a mention of being careful with the description of drivers side of passenger side because of MB's left hand drive heritage .
Firstly I think I will just clean up the electrical contacts for each sensor , I'm half wondering that each time the warning light has come on it's been after jetwashing and/or heavy rain ?
So in conclusion , the MB2 has been a good investment (even an idiot can use it :geek: ) . The forum search facility on previous posts and eBay for putting the part number in and getting a picture of the sensor has been under an hours work .
Next decent day I'll have a look underneath .

alex cnwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w203,2004, 2014 e350 bluetec, 2004 z4 3.0 straight six
yes they are brilliant and lots of features, mine was invaluable last year and saved me lot of money getting the wifes w203 out of limp mode.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
(designed to fail unit) bolts on the front of the chassis leg £40 - fit new and don't bother trying anything else

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(designed to fail unit) bolts on the front of the chassis leg £40 - fit new and don't bother trying anything else
Can I take it that if the icarsoft MB2 says it is passenger side , then that would be correct ? ( it wouldn't think that it's a left hand drive car ?)
Is the replacement part the same for drivers side/passenger side do you know ?

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had the front engine cover off , can't find it anywhere . Does anyone know where the acceleration sensor passenger side is going to be on a 2009 E320cdi W211 ??

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Found them with the help of Haynes , either side of the front rad on the vertical metal work and very well hidden , a lot smaller than I thought as well, looks like the air filter boxes and pipes need to come out to access the two 10mm bolts . It has taken 2 hours to find them .
The half salmon collection tin I have below my turbo intake orange seal had a load of oil in it , so it's either new seals , or a new pcv valve or I pull my finger out and fit my oil catch can which is in the garage . All of the above sounds like a warm day project .
I can't feel my hands at the moment :(

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
At the time I did on my car....

it was the left one £37 (on S class w221 - one each side made by Bosch P/N A003 820 2926),
they had 18 in stock at Milton Keynes,
you can't see it at all from the top. Remove bottom front engine / rad cover look at the chassis legs and there it is
15 mins start to finish

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers Botus , I've found mine , just need to remove the front air intake tubes to get to the bolts , they weren't accessible from the lower engine cover on the E class .
I was thinking in the night about the whole is it passenger or drivers side question with regard to MB's Left hand drive heritage , and I remembered that the icarsoft makes you select Left or Right hand drive on setup . Next time the code appears I will use the reader with a L/H setup and see if it confirms its the same side , thus verifying that the code reader is accurate as to which side the sensor is .
If I hadn't deleted the fault code yesterday I could have read it this morning . I'll update when it reappears , and I'm going to replace it with new if they are around the £40 mark .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I was thinking in the night about the whole is it passenger or drivers side question with regard to MB's Left hand drive heritage , and I remembered that the icarsoft makes you select Left or Right hand drive on setup . Next time the code appears I will use the reader with a L/H setup and see if it confirms its the same side , thus verifying that the code reader is accurate as to which side the sensor is

Ah but is it looking in the direction of travel or looking when standing at the bonnet?

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah but is it looking in the direction of travel or looking when standing at the bonnet?
Good question , I know Haynes is as you sit in the car . I guess the description from icarsoft as being passenger or drivers side is clear as well with only the question remaining of L/Hand R/Hand drive being the issue ?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Replacing a yaw sensor on a 204, my early iCarsoft MBII indicated that it was under the front passenger seat. It turned out to be under the carpet on the drivers side - rhs as you sat in the car. Maybe my MBII was European/American oriented.

Still, I now know how to remove either front seat without disconnecting the seatbelts, and how to lift the carpet without destroying all the plastic trim! Exactly how that gem of knowledge will help me in the future, I'm not sure.

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
Good question , I know Haynes is as you sit in the car . I guess the description from icarsoft as being passenger or drivers side is clear as well with only the question remaining of L/Hand R/Hand drive being the issue ?
Wighty, were you able to ascertain if iCarSoft was accurate in saying which side was at fault, and if LHD or RHD made a difference to the readout? Thanks

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wighty, were you able to ascertain if iCarSoft was accurate in saying which side was at fault, and if LHD or RHD made a difference to the readout? Thanks
Just replied on your pm buddy :D

Vindiesel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211.208 evo E220 cdi 2008 / S203 C220 cdi 2003 {sadly sold on}
Hi Wighty, I've just had the same exact fault crop up today!

'Fault in connection with component B48/2 , passenger side frontal acceleration sensor , OR there is a cable fault'
Which side did yours need replacing in the end, was it the UK passenger side? as stated by iCarSoft MB11

Thanks in advance

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Wighty, I've just had the same exact fault crop up today!

'Fault in connection with component B48/2 , passenger side frontal acceleration sensor , OR there is a cable fault'
Which side did yours need replacing in the end, was it the UK passenger side? as stated by iCarSoft MB11

Thanks in advance
It never re-occurred again for me to test which side buddy . I would go with the side it says if you used an icarsoft which makes you set left/right hand drive ?
Let us know how it works out .
You do have to be careful to buy the same make sensor as the other ones which are fitted though .

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
It never re-occurred again for me to test which side buddy . I would go with the side it says if you used an icarsoft which makes you set left/right hand drive ?
Let us know how it works out .
You do have to be careful to buy the same make sensor as the other ones which are fitted though .

just thinking about this..... my autel kit asks the question if the vehicle being scanned is LHD or RHD.... (even thought it pulls vehicle details from the chassis number, it still asks), I guess its so when it says a fault is on the passenger side, it really means its on the passenger side?

in which case what does the icarsoft ask when setting up the vehicle?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
just thinking about this..... my autel kit asks the question if the vehicle being scanned is LHD or RHD.... (even thought it pulls vehicle details from the chassis number, it still asks), I guess its so when it says a fault is on the passenger side, it really means its on the passenger side?

in which case what does the icarsoft ask when setting up the vehicle?
iCarsoft asks if it's left hand steering or right hand steering.

Vindiesel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep buddy......….my iCarSoft MB11 gives me the choice to set left/right hand steering, I'll be brave & go for UK passenger side as faulty as I set it up as right hand steering.
The MB11 also showed via DTC's I have different make sensors on driver & passenger sides currently fitted so not good news on that front.
I'll visually physically check both sensors & make an informed judgement from there, if in any doubt I'll fit a pair of new Bosch sensors.
I'll let you know how it works out once sorted...…..weather permitting!

Vindiesel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update, the weather was kind today so I set about tackling the B48/2 DTC fault on the passenger side front acceleration sensor.

I thought I'd try & give the sensor connectors a clean up & check for any wire lead breaks......if that fails to clear the DTC's it'll have to be a new sensor.

Cleared the codes, located the B48/2 sensor on the front rad l/h side support frame...….removed the two 10mm bolts, removed the sensor & unplugged the connector/lead.
The Sensor body was a tad grubby & I couldn't see the makers label clearly so I cleaned it up with some isopropanol, the sensor label once cleaned shows it is an original Mercedes/bosch part. I payed particular attention to the two sensor contacts which were cleaned carefully with a cotton bud moistened with the same cleaner. The connector was a lot more grubby so that was flushed clean with a spray of isopropanol & allowed to dry. The connector leads one cleaned looked fine, no breaks.
Both of the 10mm mounting bolts were a little rusty so I cleaned them up with a small brass brush, just to make reassembly easier. Sensor was then plugged back into the connector lead & bolted back to the rad support frame.

Turned on the ignition, small red srs light came on then disappeared after a few seconds, started her up & the main centre display stayed clear of any large red SRS visit workshop display. So far so good, took her for 3 test drives this afternoon & no SRS faults have reappeared (touch wood) Plugged the MB11 in this evening & no new DTC's

Only time will tell if the fault has been rectified or this is just a temporary fix!

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update, the weather was kind today so I set about tackling the B48/2 DTC fault on the passenger side front acceleration sensor.

I thought I'd try & give the sensor connectors a clean up & check for any wire lead breaks......if that fails to clear the DTC's it'll have to be a new sensor.

Cleared the codes, located the B48/2 sensor on the front rad l/h side support frame...….removed the two 10mm bolts, removed the sensor & unplugged the connector/lead.
The Sensor body was a tad grubby & I couldn't see the makers label clearly so I cleaned it up with some isopropanol, the sensor label once cleaned shows it is an original Mercedes/bosch part. I payed particular attention to the two sensor contacts which were cleaned carefully with a cotton bud moistened with the same cleaner. The connector was a lot more grubby so that was flushed clean with a spray of isopropanol & allowed to dry. The connector leads one cleaned looked fine, no breaks.
Both of the 10mm mounting bolts were a little rusty so I cleaned them up with a small brass brush, just to make reassembly easier. Sensor was then plugged back into the connector lead & bolted back to the rad support frame.

Turned on the ignition, small red srs light came on then disappeared after a few seconds, started her up & the main centre display stayed clear of any large red SRS visit workshop display. So far so good, took her for 3 test drives this afternoon & no SRS faults have reappeared (touch wood) Plugged the MB11 in this evening & no new DTC's

Only time will tell if the fault has been rectified or this is just a temporary fix!
Nice update and good work . Fingers crossed !

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom