Faulty N/S 2003 SL55 Xenon Headlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
I appear to have a fault in my NS/F Xenon headlamp, I have changed the Xenon bulbs, but no difference...
If I constantly switch my headlamps on/off (sometime around 10 times) after a while the light comes on, once it is on it will stay on...sometimes it might work for a few days without any issues, but sure enough after the car is not used for a week: it will stop working.

could it be the ballast?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It could be...but it could also be a bad earth.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
After checking the earth, try swapping ballasts over. Or get the car on STAR and have the codes read.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
After checking the earth, try swapping ballasts over. Or get the car on STAR and have the codes read.
Thanks.
Where is the ballast located?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
IIRC beneathe the headlamp units

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On a 230 I would check the front SAMs they have a habit of failing particularly the near side one, the effect is that they cannot find things.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On a 230 I would check the front SAMs they have a habit of failing particularly the near side one, the effect is that they cannot find things.

Thanks Television, I will get that looked at next week.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Television, I will get that looked at next week.

When in, ask them to run a check on the SAMs, there are 2 one each side,

I can check later and tell you what SAM that lamp is on

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Location of SAMs

Where is this SAMs unit located? :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its by the side of the starter battery, and the battery has to come out to get to it in the oblong box,,, the SAM cannot be lifted out with disconnecting the thick power cable.

When your car goes in and it has a quick test on STAR take a note when it gets to the 2 SAMs and see if there are any question marks, also go to the CAN menu and STAR will check everything on the CAN

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
All good advice above.
If the rest of the N/S/F lamps work OK, the ballast is next suspect. Swapping them over makes good diagnostic sense.
On some models you can get to both of them from underneath, without removing anything more than the undertray, but on an SL55 I doubt you can, with all the coolant pumps and so forth behind the bumper.
You will probably find the ballast fits many makes and model or car, so plenty of options on eg ebay.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cliff, also when on STAR it does test the headlamps in the quick test, you can go to headlamps and activate them on STAR, turning them on and off, if the is a fault it will tell you what it is

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We had a '52 plate SL55 in today with a N/S xenon fault - the light would come on and work with engine off, but would then blink blink blink and go out with engine started.

The owner had tried 'new' everything in the headlamp already, with all relevant parts swapped out for others.

The fault actually lies with the N/S SAM unit, which is monitoring current supply and cutting the feed, erroneously.

We proved the diagnosis by swapping the feeds over, and the fault swapped sides too...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We had a '52 plate SL55 in today with a N/S xenon fault - the light would come on and work with engine off, but would then blink blink blink and go out with engine started.

The owner had tried 'new' everything in the headlamp already, with all relevant parts swapped out for others.

The fault actually lies with the N/S SAM unit, which is monitoring current supply and cutting the feed, erroneously.

We proved the diagnosis by swapping the feeds over, and the fault swapped sides too...

Then as my post 9 Alex, did you know that mercedes had got through more than 1000 of these SAM some 3-4 years ago. The reasón they fail is because the cables to the ABC go down through that fuse box and its open to the grill on the wing, wash the car on a hot day with a washer or hose and thats the start of it. The cure would be to vent the box at the top.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The part has been superseded many times, with MBUK having sold 230 odd of the latest number - high volume for this chassis.

The unit itself shows no sign of water ingress whatsoever, with all pins bright and shiny. This was checked fairly early on in diagnosis, as we know water ingress is a common fault, obviously.

In this case, we have no need to suspect the SAM unit just yet, but I though it relevant and worth posting up.

EDIT: For reference, only the N/S/F Xenon is on the N/S/F SAM, with the all other front lamps controlled through the O/S/F SAM.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had no signs of water in my box or in the ECU,not even a water mark, but it was so bad it blew the drivers SAM in my case. Never seen another where it blew both

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had no signs of water in my box or in the ECU,not even a water mark, but it was so bad it blew the drivers SAM in my case. Never seen another where it blew both

Not quite sure how you blame water, when no sign of it?
I thought that picture you keep posting with the corroded pins was from your car??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not quite sure how you blame water, when no sign of it?
I thought that picture you keep posting with the corroded pins was from your car??
I have handled much electronic apparatus with condensation damage in my life. many car ECU's and domestic things that have sat in a bay window or up against single glazing. Condensation is water in my eyes, there are other way of detecting water damage if you know what to look for by looking at the PCB.

In my case the car was very hot when I used a high pressure washer on it in Sweden. we know that water does not get in from the top, we know that the drivers SAM never gets the same problem, the only difference is the drivers SAM box goes into the car, and the passenger SAM box houses the electronics for the ABC, this box has a spout that houses the ABC wires, and ends by the vent in the front wing, now after a hard drive the ABC valve blocks do get hot, if you spray water in the wing vent you get condensation = water. As before there were no water marks on the same or fuse box. There is no other reason for it, no my SAM did not get like it just like that, it is a build up of deposits that eventually take no more and the SAM has gone. The air temp in Sweden at the time was +37c and the Air con going off and the parking brake on message came up as I left the car wash.

Yes I have helped many on here with this fault and on benzworld and it is more common in warm countries. Yes that picture was my SAM, but even without the green on the pins, if you know what to look for you can see that water has got in (condensation) The SAM runs very hot as well, and this does not help in that little box.

I do hope that is clear enough for you.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Which is it Malcolm?

You say that 'no sign of water in my box' in one post, then in the next you say 'Yes that picture was my SAM, but even without the green on the pins...'

Please, which is it? Green pins = king obvious sign of water damage.

In this case today, that I am relating, there was no sign of water damage - and yes I did check the PCB, clean bright and shiny.
Yes, I use a bright light and magnifier - no water/condensation damage.

I am no fool, working on Mercedes cars all day, and yes we see water/condensation damage often enough - but not in this case.

Malcom, there was no ABC ECU anywhere near this SAM unit - I'm pretty sure it is mounted in the driver's footwell, is it not? The wiring exiting this control unit case, that only houses a SAM unit, is perfectly sealed with grommets.

SAM units can and do fail, without any visual sign of water/condensation damage.

I have read some of your posts on R230 ABC on Benzworld, but cannot find the cases you suggest - please point me to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom