Few questions from a newbie

seremotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Evo hatch
Hi guys, forum looks impressive :cool:
I have just bought my first MB, a 2003 220cdi hatch with fsh. The panoramic roof and the leather sold me as soon as I sat in it, and having come from a new and heavily modded Leon FR tdi (stolen :cry:) I vowed never to spend 20k on a car again, even though I work for SEAT. The MB looks a lot of car for a third of the money!!!!
Perhaps you could help with a few concerns I have on the car?
1) It allegedly has factory sports suspension and it does sit well, however it is very firm - at 100k are the shocks likely to be way past their best and worth replacing? Any other car I would say yes but with the supposed MB build quality . . . . .
2) The manual 'box is atrocious and my wife hates driving it - I know the MB reputation so I reckon its normal but can it be improved with an oil upgrade or anything?
3) I have a really annoying clunking coming up through the steering column which feels in the driver's side suspension area, however I had it checked over and everything is tight underneath. Is there a bearing in the column or am I missing something?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated :D

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hi guys, forum looks impressive :cool:
I have just bought my first MB, a 2003 220cdi hatch with fsh. The panoramic roof and the leather sold me as soon as I sat in it, and having come from a new and heavily modded Leon FR tdi (stolen :cry:) I vowed never to spend 20k on a car again, even though I work for SEAT. The MB looks a lot of car for a third of the money!!!!
Perhaps you could help with a few concerns I have on the car?
1) It allegedly has factory sports suspension and it does sit well, however it is very firm - at 100k are the shocks likely to be way past their best and worth replacing? Any other car I would say yes but with the supposed MB build quality . . . . .
2) The manual 'box is atrocious and my wife hates driving it - I know the MB reputation so I reckon its normal but can it be improved with an oil upgrade or anything?
3) I have a really annoying clunking coming up through the steering column which feels in the driver's side suspension area, however I had it checked over and everything is tight underneath. Is there a bearing in the column or am I missing something?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated :D

First of all welcome to the forum and hope your enjoy your first MB.

1, Shocks dont have a limited life, it will depend on the life your car had prior to you. Get them shocks checked out for any leaks and broken springs(very common with MB's)
2, MB speciality is their semi auto box however i have never heard anyone complaint aboutthe manual box before. You could check with a good indie to see if it has been serviced properly(autoboxes need to have the oil/filter/gasket changed every 60K)
3, when do you hear the clunking noise? is it when you driving? turning? braking?

OP
S

seremotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Evo hatch
Cheers for the reply. I thought MB were known for poor manual 'boxes - slow and awkward shift etc? All the suspension has been checked over and we cant find anything, although we did replace a worn track rod end a week ago. The noise occurs mainly when the drivers' side front wheel hits a bump or pothole and I can feel it at the steering wheel. Will have to check it on the ground in case something shows up which may not be obvious with the suspension 'hanging' with the car on a ramp.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the shift is slow on an MB manual 'box compared to other cars, however i found it wasnt so much of an issue once you got to know the car and how to drive it. having had 2 manual cars myself (the 6 speed is a better box to use than the 5 speed) and wishing the current 1 was manual, i can speak from experience. the sift is less awkward once you get into the habit of not trying to force the shift through and rush the box too much. i tended to just tease the gears through the box till i learned exactly where the stick wanted to travel, then i could change gear noticeably quicker and smoother. it would never be a boyracers dream box like the old fords i had, but id rather have the manual still, and save £2k on a new car (auto is an option!) and have a car thats in the right gear all the time, coz you can see whats happening around you, the gearbox ecu cant!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom