Final leg of the on going judder issue.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I use the hold function all the time and have just changed my E class front discs at 100k with no judder issues

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I use the hold function all the time and have just changed my E class front discs at 100k with no judder issues
Much will depend on driving style.
When I used to race I was known to be very kind to brakes, rarely using them hard and as a result my brakes lasted ages. When following cars on the road I'm often surprised how frequently some people touch their brakes as I just lift the throttle and coast round.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Much will depend on driving style.
When I used to race I was known to be very kind to brakes, rarely using them hard and as a result my brakes lasted ages. When following cars on the road I'm often surprised how frequently some people touch their brakes as I just lift the throttle and coast round.
I rarely brake, spent the money to go, not going to waste it with the brakes.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Have had a lot of bad reports about Hold on other makes as well.
Hold a technological solution to a non existent problem.
Just as an aside, what sort of wheels do you have on your car as they are really the heat sink for cooling.

I have the Standard O.E. staggered wheels which were supplied with the car from new. You can see them quite clearly on my Avatar photo if you enlarge it.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I rarely brake, spent the money to go, not going to waste it with the brakes.
Hitting the brakes is like setting fire to rolled up £5 notes under the wheel arch.

Looks as though we've found my problem then, driving like I stole it involves heavy brake use, and throwing such a large heavy car around down country roads probably isn't helping either as, that also requires hard braking from time to time. :oops:

I think I'll need to change my driving style and technique eh? :rolleyes:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Looks as though we've found my problem then, driving like I stole it involves heavy brake use, and throwing such a large heavy car around down country roads probably isn't helping either as, that also requires hard braking from time to time. :oops:

Jim on his own admission drives the car like he's stolen it :rolleyes::D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Jim on his own admission drives the car like he's stolen it :rolleyes::D
He does , but so do lots of other people across different car makes and they don’t have very early on brake judder ?
So it’s unlikely it’s anything to do with driving style , in my humble opinion of course .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

I recommend if you want to keep on with the "drive it like you stole" it technique to get a Porsche, they will take some serious "abuse" day after day - the only warning in the handbook is not to fit slicks as the side loading can be so high on slicks that you can starve one bank of cylinders of oil. (Unless you get a dry sumped version :cool:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Or get pads that are better suited to the abuse. :)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I recommend if you want to keep on with the "drive it like you stole" it technique to get a Porsche, they will take some serious "abuse" day after day - the only warning in the handbook is not to fit slicks as the side loading can be so high on slicks that you can starve one bank of cylinders of oil. (Unless you get a dry sumped version :cool:)

The thought had crossed my mind Russ, however, a Porsche would most likely, at the price range I can afford anyway, have already had the ”serious abuse” and need equally serious money spent on it as a result.

Better to stick with what I’ve already spent on I think. :)

It will keep Swmbo happy too. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Or get pads that are better suited to the abuse. :)

That’s a good option Alistair, but, will the discs then stand up to the job or would you recommend upgrading them too?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The thought had crossed my mind Russ, however, a Porsche would most likely, at the price range I can afford anyway, have already had the ”serious abuse” and need equally serious money spent on it as a result.

Better to stick with what I’ve already spent on I think.

It will keep Swmbo happy too.

“There’s no such thing as an old Porsche... just a new owner” :)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
“There’s no such thing as an old Porsche... just a new owner” :)

Totally agree, however the new owner has to have a thick wallet just in case the previous ones have not been as meticulous as they might have been.

Sadly Porsche parts are not cheap.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Totally agree, however the new owner has to have a thick wallet just in case the previous ones have not been as meticulous as they might have been.

Sadly Porsche parts are not cheap.

Porsche's are not for me, never have been. They are just old Porches as far as I am concerned :rolleyes::p

A guy I know had been a Porsche fan for years. When his father died and left him some cash he said to me he was going to fulfil a life times dream. He went out and bought himself a Ferrari 360 Modena, a few years back now, and as far as I know he still has a Ferrari albeit I havn't seen him for years. :)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Porsche's are not for me, never have been. They are just old Porches as far as I am concerned :rolleyes::p

I always had Porsche posters, on my bedroom wall as a youngster, there's just something about them that I like.

This was way before I knew anything about reliability, handling, depreciation, lol, in fact any positive or negative aspects of Porsche ownership.

As I grew older I came to realise that the most likely way I'd ever own one was, if I won the pools, (giving my age away there) or, settled for an older one.

Ownership of the 924/944 series never even entered my head or crossed my mind, nice as they were, it was all about the rear engined 911 experience for me.

When they brought out the Boxster and the Caymen, I was delighted, here was my possible opportunity! :)

Sadly that hope didn't last long as they too, were well out of my meagre financial capabilities, and sadly :( as I grew older, the older air cooled models escalated in value and have gone through the roof in price, so, my thoughts of an old one were scuppered too.

I've liked the shape of a few Ferraris but, the price and their horrible reputation for complexity and un-reliability and needing to own a bank to run and maintain them has always put me off, Porsche maintenance always seemed somehow more managable.

Now that I'm in my sixties well, if I hadn't bought the Coupé, Swmbo might have been more amenable, but, I'd still be back to buying an older one, perhaps a Boxster or Cayman and the potential costs involved there. Due to what I've spent on getting and trying to get the Coupé to my satisfaction, Swmbo would have a fit if I had the temerity to suggest it now.

Ok, enough of the wishful thinking and what might have beens. What is, is, just get on with it Jimbo! :rolleyes:

Oh well, there's always the Lottory. (The eternal optimist). :D:D:D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I always had Porsche posters, on my bedroom wall as a youngster, there's just something about them that I like.

This was way before I knew anything about reliability, handling, depreciation, lol, in fact any positive or negative aspects of Porsche ownership.

As I grew older I came to realise that the most likely way I'd ever own one was, if I won the pools, (giving my age away there) or, settled for an older one.

Ownership of the 924/944 series never even entered my head or crossed my mind, nice as they were, it was all about the rear engined 911 experience for me.

When they brought out the Boxster and the Caymen, I was delighted, here was my possible opportunity! :)

Sadly that hope didn't last long as they too, were well out of my meagre financial capabilities, and sadly :( as I grew older, the older air cooled models escalated in value and have gone through the roof in price, so, my thoughts of an old one were scuppered too.

I've liked the shape of a few Ferraris but, the price and their horrible reputation for complexity and un-reliability and needing to own a bank to run and maintain them has always put me off, Porsche maintenance always seemed somehow more managable.

Now that I'm in my sixties well, if I hadn't bought the Coupé, Swmbo might have been more amenable, but, I'd still be back to buying an older one or, perhaps a Boxster or Cayman and the potential costs involved there. Due to what I've spent on getting and trying to get the Coupé to my satisfaction, Swmbo would have a fit if I had the temerity to suggest it now.

Ok, enough of the wishful thinking and what might have beens. What is, is, just get on with it Jimbo! :rolleyes:

Oh well, there's always the Lottory. (The eternal optimist). :D:D:D

I think the only Porsche I half like is the 944. I have always been an Aston fan. During my teens and Twenties one of the lads had a DB4 and we all thought we were the dogs dangly bits riding about in that, he was the son of a Bookmaker so he could well afford it. :)

For quite a few years during the 70's I was a smart arse Salesman at a high end Sports Car Dealership so I had the opportunity to drive many different makes but I always went back to the Aston. One car that did do it for me was the Jensen Interceptor, I thought that was the absolute nuts :D

One of the things that put me off Porches was the funny positioning of the pedals, plus in those days they were a bit tail happy. When they let go there was no catching them. They just didn't feel right, very VW ish. Anyway it is all a bit of a dream now, just memories. None of this is in my budget now so C'est La Vie :rolleyes:

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I can vouch for the fact that braking in either of our two 'Porches' is almost as eye-watering as the acceleration, and to be savoured regularly. The Turbo has GT3 brakes as a factory option.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One of the things that put me off Porsches was the funny positioning of the pedals, plus in those days they were a bit tail happy. When they let go there was no catching them. They just didn't feel right, very VW ish.

I must admit it's the only thing I didn't like about the older 911's was the positioning of the pedals, however, it was something I was prepared to put up with or, become accustomed too. ;) The tail end happiness I just looked upon as a challenge, lol. :D

Like you, I've driven a lot of cars over the years working in various different garages but, I keep coming back to Porsche, although I must admit that my budget these days, it would most likely, if I could get Swmbo to agree, would be a Cayman or Boxster I'd be driving. :cool:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom