Fines for owning an uninsured vehicle

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
' I can do what I like on my own land '
This is the bit that made me think you can't -

"The new law will make it an offence to be the registered keeper of an uninsured car, whether or not the vehicle is being used and regardless of whether it has a valid tax disc or is kept on private property."

The journalist is trying to make a point that isn't there.
See this bit,further down the article....

"The only way to avoid a fine will be to go through the bureaucratic process of making a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency."

Regards,
Nick.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
What is new is that it will be an offence to have a vehicle registered in your name that is not covered by insurance, taxed or not taxed. This offence will be applied whether the vehicle is parked on a public highway or on your own land. SORNing it is the only way not to fall foul.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
So if you have a valuable car and it is taxed and you fall ill for a few months and your insurance lapses, then they can come confiscate your car and crush it or whatever costing you more money, which a lot of people cannot afford, surely this is a bad law and a very bad idea akin to Maggies poll tax and should be met with the same disdain..

LSD

Reaction score
All vehicles pose a risk to the public, whether they are driven or not, its only right that if a vehicle can in anyway cause damage to persons or property then it should have adequate insurance to pay for any damage.

Oil leaks out of garage onto the road, electrics ignite etc etc, any number of variables are possible.

You'd've done better just saying you agreed with the idea and leaving it at that. Those are about the most lightweight, tenuous and meaningless arguments you could've offered. I've never heard of a stationary car launching itself at anyone, and never heard of anyone drowning in burning leaked engine oil. Self-immolating cars are rare in these parts too.

This proposal is anything but "only right". The real reasons for the idea are so obvious they barely merit discussion.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
finally someone with sense. Though I do like a few comments (miffy) as many do have a grasp on whats what.
Might have posted this before and sorry its not DIRECTLY related, but if you watch it you will have a far better understanding of whats going on.
Problem its it doesnt matter what the 'excuses' are, or whichever Govt. is at the helm. The ship is heading out to sea, and we're rowing!

http://www.tpuc.org/node/558

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
You'd've done better just saying you agreed with the idea and leaving it at that. Those are about the most lightweight, tenuous and meaningless arguments you could've offered. I've never heard of a stationary car launching itself at anyone, and never heard of anyone drowning in burning leaked engine oil. Self-immolating cars are rare in these parts too.

This proposal is anything but "only right". The real reasons for the idea are so obvious they barely merit discussion.

there are loads of what-ifs, what would happen to the child who was badly cut after falling on broken glass after my non moving car was broken into. There are endless scenarios that luckily we do not regularly have to endure, but thats why we have insurance, to cover the unknowns.

Let us remember though, all they are doing is tightening up a law that already exists. SORN your vehicle and nothing changes.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
there are loads of what-ifs, what would happen to the child who was badly cut after falling on broken glass after my non moving car was broken into. There are endless scenarios that luckily we do not regularly have to endure, but thats why we have insurance, to cover the unknowns.

Let us remember though, all they are doing is tightening up a law that already exists. SORN your vehicle and nothing changes.

A bit tenuous I think.
I doubt that even if the car were insured that its insurer would pick up that risk.

I agree with your second point,see my previous post.

However,I also agree that there is an ever increasing intrusion into our lives by government agencies,now that they have finally realised the power of computer databases and made their systems work,at great expense to we taxpayers.

In the example of the classic car owner whose car is taxed and insured and off the road and is then taken ill and unable to renew either or declare the vehicle off the road,then issuing a fine is clearly unfair.
It is to be hoped that an appeal against a fine in such circumstances would be successful.

I would suggest that this scenario is very rare,compared to the thousands of cars that are deliberately uninsured and being driven every day.

Yes,it may be a pain having to keep documents up to date,I have six vehicles registered in my name:Oops: but even if this measure stops an uninsured driver from injuring only one person badly and destroying their car,I am prepared to put up with it.

Regards,
Nick.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
...' who, the Government says, are responsible for 160 deaths a year.' ( From the article.)

Now I read at the beginning of this year that approx 9,000 yes, thats 9,000, people died from viruses, / misdiagnosis and mistakes whilst being treated in NHS hospitals.
Now which would you consider the priority to tackle ?
Unless you have the death penalty for driving uninsured , un taxed vehicles on our roads, no amount of fines will stop those that want to do it from doing it.. The only people who will be hit are those that make genuine mistakes over their tax or insurance.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
...' who, the Government says, are responsible for 160 deaths a year.' ( From the article.)

Now I read at the beginning of this year that approx 9,000 yes, thats 9,000, people died from viruses, / misdiagnosis and mistakes whilst being treated in NHS hospitals.
Now which would you consider the priority to tackle ?
Unless you have the death penalty for driving uninsured , un taxed vehicles on our roads, no amount of fines will stop those that want to do it from doing it.. The only people who will be hit are those that make genuine mistakes over their tax or insurance.

Yes, there are much more important things to worry about as you say, but unfortunately as always we are an easy target and always will be, and it will just get worse. oh the joys of being a car owner :)

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
...... pop a set of cloned plates on and then off they go.

Nah. They cant do this any more because you are asked to fill in your personal details, and only proper shops can sell them.

Actually that was a joke and a lie, but then isnt it all anyway?
Oh actually its not, it's called an 'ACT' and carefully designed to fool us idiots. Including the memories of millions that died to defend us, and the few around the world naively still trying to today.

Perhaps when the people of Ireland get another chance to say no for the second time, the EU will give up, p1ss off and remember that WE won the war and we don't owe them anything. Those that still have jobs dreaming up this rubbish will then have to get REAL jobs and work for a living.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fat_disabled_women

We might then be able to have and afford our very own REAL Govt. again and be able to keep out the other sponging scroungers and sort out are own.

LSD

Reaction score
That was a funny link cleverdicky

I meant the fat women link: the tpuc link previous is not funny (but thanks for posting it). There are also many more sources available online showing what's really going on. I suggest everyone takes a look and opens their eyes to the future mapped for us. It is very "on-topic" to just about every change we experience lately.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Thank you. Thought I was one of a minority. I do try and enjoy life but realy am cynical. Winds me up when I mention to people such things, I see so clearly, and some just amusing. (3 F's) just hysterical :)

Most I speak to of it though, either dismiss it or see me as a ranting fool.
But what I still dont get, and respect and apologies to original post(er), is why?
Why do we all have to go through this... and more.
Money has no 'real' value- only our labour (and Gold) :(
So why grind us down so there's nothing left with more of these silly 'act's' ?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom