Fitting C class seats

JoshCorps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Citan 2014
Hi I have a Mercedes citan van, I intend on fitting some c class seats w204.
I'm trying to work out the wiring using common sense. Yellow plug is for safety stuff like airbags and seat belt alarm etc. Thicker wires for heated seats, wires going to motors are obviously for the electric movement. This leaves me with one plug left and I can only asume it is for he neck pro however I thought this would be on the yellow safety plug.

Also whiles trawling the forum I've come accross Whats call a Sam modul, obviously this van doesn't have stuff like that so it going to be as simple as connecting a 12v supply to the motors heated seats and motors (switches included where nessisary)?

Thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
don't gamble on ANYTHING being as simple as that. the Citan is a rebadged Renault Kangoo (from memory) but with luck the Germans will have seen to the wiring on the MB badged ones, rather than the French!

The SAM modules are, in a way, a 'brain' in the vehicle, activating equipment its programmed to do, remembering what the vehicle has etc (its about as simply as I can explain it)

also the wiring plug colours may match but that wont necessarily mean that the WIRES are in the same place in the multiplug.

OP
J

JoshCorps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Citan 2014
As far as what I want to connect is concerned it's just live and nuetral earth. (I won't be connecting airbags) There is no command wires or communication wires, I appreciate your advice but the questions I have are still unanswered.
Can I just connect a 12 supply to the seat motors and the heated seats, or does it need a Sam modual?
What could the last plug that I haven't identified be?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I think you're massively on a hiding to nothing. You have explosive squibs in the airbags and restraint modules in those seats. I really, really, really strongly advise you not to do any more on this.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I didn't know the newer seats came with airbags. interesting, it tells me to not go newer than 203 if I consider changing the ML163 seats I've put in the Vito. The 203's are more comfortable than the 163's.

Josh, do you have the seat controllers with these seats?
The 203 seat heaters have a varied voltage input, I would think the 204's could be similar.
A little pointer, live and neutral is for alternating current.

I would be worried about applying a deploy signal to the airbags.

OP
J

JoshCorps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Citan 2014
I have identified the airbags, I will not be messing with them they will just be left dormant. I am more than capable of wiring these seats in I just don't know if they will work without a Sam modual, as this is something new to me.
I reiterate the airbags are NOT being messed with and will be ISOLATED.

OP
J

JoshCorps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Citan 2014
I didn't know the newer seats came with airbags. interesting, it tells me to not go newer than 203 if I consider changing the ML163 seats I've put in the Vito. The 203's are more comfortable than the 163's.

Josh, do you have the seat controllers with these seats?
The 203 seat heaters have a varied voltage input, I would think the 204's could be similar.
A little pointer, live and neutral is for alternating current.

I would be worried about applying a deploy signal to the airbags.

The controls are on the side of the seat with the new model, making it much easier for me

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
How about a dummy run?

A combination of a spare 12v battery, a multimeter, and a couple of extension wires before you fit the seats, should tell you which wires run the seat motor, which the heater element, etc.

As you say you're OK with car electrics, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Umble

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The controls are on the side of the seat with the new model, making it much easier for me

Aye the switch controls will be on the side of the seats. As a module I now assume that you have the controller that this will be plugged into, on each seat.

The next thing I omitted to consider was the plug that connects the car to seat controller of each seat.
With me being a pillock that became something of a nuisance.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I'm trying to work out the wiring using common sense. Yellow plug is for safety stuff like airbags and seat belt alarm etc. Thicker wires for heated seats, wires going to motors are obviously for the electric movement. This leaves me with one plug left and I can only asume it is for he neck pro however I thought this would be on the yellow safety plug.

Also whiles trawling the forum I've come accross Whats call a Sam modul, obviously this van doesn't have stuff like that so it going to be as simple as connecting a 12v supply to the motors heated seats and motors (switches included where nessisary)?

Thanks

You should be fine safety wise as long as you disconnect the battery before doing the work. However, as you know the Citan is a rebadged Renault you are going to have some issues.

The airbags almost certainly either wont work or will throw up an SRS light on the dashboard. I know this because even changing seats from one W204 to another slightly older one, causes these issues. It seems the airbag modules are very much tied into a model and revision of that model. I would expect a lot of grief doing this job!

OP
J

JoshCorps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Citan 2014
How about a dummy run?

A combination of a spare 12v battery, a multimeter, and a couple of extension wires before you fit the seats, should tell you which wires run the seat motor, which the heater element, etc.

As you say you're OK with car electrics, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Umble

This is my last resort, I was hoping someone was going to say hi have a wiring diagram, this issue with the process you have said is the sam might bring the voltage down so if I'm connecting to a 12v source then it won't be very good for the seat.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You've done better than I did when asking for info on the ML seats.
Working things out with a meter and a motorcycle battery took a while, but I got there.

Georgie58

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Vito 639 2.2ltr manual

Thanks
Hi, hope you manage to sort out fitting the seats. I was just researching fitting c class seats. I have some 2015 w204 front seats I want to the front of my 2009 vito van. I have put 12v to the 2 motors I can see that lift the front and back of the seat, and they work fine. Do you know if there is a 3rd motor for tilting the backrest and what the colour of the wires are.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The person who asked the original question has not been on forum since he asked basically - 8 years.
The concensus (was and still would be) its just not worth it or conceivable due to the wiring looms and the requirememt for SAM connectivity.
Also not mentioned the need to get power to seats and suitable fuse protection.

Georgie58

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Vito 639 2.2ltr manual
Thanks for the reply, my van has a stand alone fuse box for other extras like tow bar , extra interior lights, and rear power socket. I have spare fuses so power is sorted. I plan to use momentary cross over toggle switches to run the motors directly possibly relays depending on rating of the switches.
I need to remove the trim from the side of the seat to access the control switches, not sure how to do this without causing damage. Any help with this greatly appreciated

Top Bottom