Fitting Comand to a 2007 year E320 W211

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
if you have phone prep then you can buy the bluetooth puc in the armrest i believe?

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
He wont have fitted the additional ducts and fans that cars with Comand have, that is where the majority of costs for fitting come. At the end of the day you take the risk, fit it without the additional hardware and risk damage to the unit from overheating. Cars with Comand dont have the extra ducts and fans for no reason.

http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Retrofit-Kit-for-NTG4-in-W204-C-Class-Right-Hand-Drive.html

No he advised me he has fitted 1000s and never had issue of over heating in this country. I sold the car a while after so cannot comment on whether it still works! Considering that kit is 300 and the unit was 450 I think was worth the risk.

By the way I did fit the modified middle air vent for completeness as on the c class it has a button to tilt the screen. This was about 60 from merc. But I did sell the original on ebay which recouped some of that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
So does ngt 1 have Bluetooth

Can I add it if not - or do I need to upgrade to 2.5?

No the NTG1 does NOT have Bluetooth..

But as V6Matty says you can fit a Bluetooth module into the arm rest phone cradle (assuming you have the phone prep that is).

OP
P

Penpoll

So does ngt 1 have Bluetooth

Can I add it if not - or do I need to upgrade to 2.5?
Well, I bought the car but now I need to solve the issue of using my iPhone.

My system is ntg 1 I use an iPhone 4S is it cheaper to have a phone cradle & wiring or to replace the comand with 2.5? It all looks very costly. I have steering wheel controls but no sign of any wiring in the centre armrest.

Any advice really appreciated please. The car is E320 '07 facelift W211 - avantgarde estate

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

npuk

You need to check if the car has phone pre-wire, see the UHI section. http://www.mercupgrades.com/Choosing+Bluetooth+Cradle+for+European+Mercedes+Vehicles-article-41.html and http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth/

If no UHI you have a few options.

1) Swap your Comand unit for the newer Comand NTG2.5 which has full bluetooth built in. Will cost the most.

2) Retrofit factory phone pre-wire, though it is expensive and you still need to buy a cradle.

3) Fit Fiscon Pro bluetooth kit which works exactly like the factory phone system but no cradle needed.

4) Fit the mCar interface which also works like the factory phone system and doesnt need a cradle.

More info on 2, 3 and 4 here: http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Phone-System-Retrofit-Kits/

OP
P

Penpoll

You need to check if the car has phone pre-wire, see the UHI section. http://www.mercupgrades.com/Choosing+Bluetooth+Cradle+for+European+Mercedes+Vehicles-article-41.html and http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth/

If no UHI you have a few options.

1) Swap your Comand unit for the newer Comand NTG2.5 which has full bluetooth built in. Will cost the most.

2) Retrofit factory phone pre-wire, though it is expensive and you still need to buy a cradle.

3) Fit Fiscon Pro bluetooth kit which works exactly like the factory phone system but no cradle needed.

4) Fit the mCar interface which also works like the factory phone system and doesnt need a cradle.

More info on 2, 3 and 4 here: http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Phone-System-Retrofit-Kits/
Fiscon option looks favourite. Will it work with IOS ? Is the Bluetooth ok with iPhone 4S and 5 (I will be upgrading soon) as I understand they have later versions of IOS software?

OP
S

Stevitee

A quick update - as I started the thread - to advise that I ahave done the deed and ordered (purchased) the NGT 2.5 Coman unit from 'the man in Latvia', having also corresponded with Mark at Comand. My thanks to all, especially Simon for all the advice and guidance. I'll let you know how I get on.

OP
S

Stevitee

Just so as to finish what I started.........

The Comand unit arrived, well packed and in good condition. I took it to Lightwater today by appointment with Unique / Comand (Europe) Ltd and met with Mark and Rob. A little embarrasing as my appointment was for 10.30 but the M25 excelled itself, as did the M3 and I arrived at their premises at 11.45! That was a total of 2hrs 45 minutes to do the 30 something miles from Orpington.

A bit disappointing as I wasn't permitted to watch Rob doing the actual fitting (they'd previously had issues with people being in the workshop) and was despatched to the local coffee shop for a snack and to await their call. It only took about an hour and the car was returned with a fully functioning Comand. After a bit of final fiddling to get my phone to pair with the unit via Bluetooth I was away again, this time using the unit's Navigation just to see how it performed. Excellently, summed it up! Also the Bluetooth linked phone functionality is first class - much improved over the Viseeo that I had fitted temporarily.

So, very pleased - had to sell a kidney to pay for it all but I'm pleased. I can fully recommend the services of Mark and his team and if you're reading this Rob...Thank you.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
Issues with people in workshop! ? How odd. Mind me asking what fitting cost was?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just so as to finish what I started.........

So, very pleased - had to sell a kidney to pay for it all but I'm pleased. I can fully recommend the services of Mark and his team and if you're reading this Rob...Thank you.

Well done you..
I really do think you made the right choice..
Now about the MP3 music to install on your built in hard drive . . . :D

OP
S

Stevitee

Firstly, in response to 'Thinkpad's' question, the fitting cost a total of £352.45 which included £163.40 for the adapter loom set which I can only assume is made of 22 carat wire! That all takes account of a 10% discount for being a member of this forum.
The unit itself was £499 plus £49 postage.................but don't tell Mrs Tee!!

Secondly, what were you going to tell me Sspeed about MP3's onto the hard disc? I presume its a case of downloading onto an SD card and uploading to the Comand from that? I'll have to do something because the unit came fully loaded with gazillions of music tracks, all but about 5% of them being entirely not to my taste. The unit must have belonged to a femail or perhaps a male with a taste for girlie music :). I was told by Unique that the unit was previously in a 'ML' Class so maybe a 'WAG' owned it. Anyway, what is to tell about MP3s Simon?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Steve,
Firstly its easy to delete all the stored music from the hard drive in 1 single go..

1. Select Music register
2. Select "Delete All Music Files" then press "OK"
The query Yes or No appears.. Select Yes and press OK

On a different note you may need to delete the previous address book..

Also delete "Last Destinations from the SatNav section if they are there..

MP3's.. Try to stick to a high quality bit rate.
I use 320kbps by default.
Yes you can transfer via the SD card or a CD / DVD full of MP3's..
It takes a while to do the full 4GB so go on a drive if your doing it in 1 go and be patient!
By the way it will play a DVD full of MP3 tracks you know..
Also it will keep folders in the relevant orders..
For example if you have a folder titled say Elton John and within that folder there are say another 3 folders, each containing an Elton John Album then the Comand will keep that file structure..
Its far, far easier if you pre organize your music and folders on your PC then copy them to a CD/DVD/SD Card.. Then copy to your COMAND.
On my PC I have a partitioned space which I keep for Car MP3 music.. Its all pre converted to 320kbps CBR (constant Bit rate)..
As you know the 211 is capable of pretty respectable music quality..

1 last point...
You will need to set the Bass/Treble in each different aspect..
EG:
1. Radio
2. CD/DVD
3. Music register (Comand Hard drive)

When I first got mine I set it up for the radio and didn't realize the procedure had to be repeated for Music register and CD/DVD.

Have you paired your phone yet ??

Last edited:
OP
S

Stevitee

Thanks chaps for all of that. Fortunately, I had already got most of my music stored in the way that s.speed describes. I began saving music that way and have continued to do so despite having more recently had to get involved with the dreaded iTunes to support an iPhone (now replaced by a Samsung Galaxy SII) an iPod and iPad.
So, I discovered quite quickly that I should only use a a pre-SDHC (i.e. old skool) type of SD card. Initially,I used a 4GB SDHC type and whilst the Comand 'saw' the card it wouldn't read it. I only had a 2GB non HC card so I then used that and bingo, it was recognised and I was able to load the music onto the unit. Whether a 4GB old skool SD card would have worked, I don't know.
Yes, you are right, it does take a while. The card had about 1.76gb of music on it and that took well over 30 minutes to upload (download?) to the Comand. While waiting, I took the opportunity to give the entire car a proper polish using Mer (which IMO, is the best) and the car now looks even better - I don't think it had been shown any polish for years - if ever. I digress, but if you know how long it takes to give a W(S)211 a good polishing., that's how long it took to do the music.
It all works very well and I pleased that my file structure is recognised by the Comand. It will also play all tracks randomly so that's helpful. Great too that you can change tracks using the arrows on the steering wheel and see/select/change the track via the speedo.
I cleared out all the girlie music before I started of course.
One question that still foxes me is how do you delete the Navigation memory / previous destinations. Mine is full is locatons all over the Benelux countries?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steve..
If I remember correctly you have to delete the previous destinations one at a time..
I am pretty sure you actually select a destination out of the previous destinations and then there will be the option to delete on the lower part of the screen...
Its a slight pain that you have to do one at a time but you wont be doing it every day....

Steve try this alternative to the dreaded iTunes..
I use it and it sees both my Samsung phone and my iPod..

http://www.jriver.com/mj/

Last edited:
OP
N

npuk

Stevitee SDHC cards work. Your unit needs a firmware upgrade which I would recommend as it fixes a a few bugs.

OP
S

Stevitee

Thank you for this tip. Without seeming dim, how do I go about getting a Firmware upgrade? Can this be done by an 'independent' - does it cost? Bearing in mind that I do not have a handbook with this unit I am at a bit of a loss as to this point.

Many thanks

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Firmware upgrade can be done by an indy if he has STAR and knows how to update..
That will need to be done before it will accept the latest map updates..

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom